Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

crunchy gear!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 10:06 AM
o snap its eric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crunchy gear!

I get a crunchy gear sound when shifting when i sit back too much or have my seat recline too much. But when i sit closer to the wheel and have my seat at a more verticle angel my shift crunch noises are gone. Has anyone else experience this? I do not like sitting that close to the wheel because it makes my leg feel to cramped and therfor im scared to drive faster or normal. Would a RE shifter solve my problem? Thanks
Old 01-20-2004, 10:20 AM
KJY9

Default Re: crunchy gear!

Originally posted by o snap its eric
I get a crunchy gear sound when shifting when i sit back too much or have my seat recline too much. But when i sit closer to the wheel and have my seat at a more verticle angel my shift crunch noises are gone. Has anyone else experience this? I do not like sitting that close to the wheel because it makes my leg feel to cramped and therfor im scared to drive faster or normal. Would a RE shifter solve my problem? Thanks
You might try some Redline tranny fluid?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:28 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

clutch all the way to the floor before you shift will solve your problem
Old 01-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Zrated

Originally posted by zxsaint
clutch all the way to the floor before you shift will solve your problem
Agreed!
Old 01-20-2004, 02:35 PM
AirWarrior

HOLD YOUR HORSES EVERYONE!

You might be one of the few with a tranny problem... such as ME. I'm due into Infiniti of Mobile, AL next Friday to get my tranny replaced... after talking to the service manager, he called Tech Line and they said that there was a revision of the tranny. But it wasn't a serious issue to the point where a recall was needed.

now,..i have the G35Coupe 6spd...and i think you guys also have the same gearbox/tranny...so i wouldn't doubt if your problem is exactly the same as mine.

Whenever i shift to 2nd gear it feels like 2nd is trying to spit it out back into neutral...and i can only get around this by pausing between 1st and 2nd OR i have to rev 1st gear past 3200rpm and then quickly (and easily) shift into 2nd...

i will let you know what the new tranny feels like when i get it installed next friday...
Old 01-20-2004, 02:37 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by AirWarrior

You might be one of the few with a tranny problem... such as ME. I'm due into Infiniti of Mobile, AL next Friday to get my tranny replaced... after talking to the service manager, he called Tech Line and they said that there was a revision of the tranny. But it wasn't a serious issue to the point where a recall was needed.

now,..i have the G35Coupe 6spd...and i think you guys also have the same gearbox/tranny...so i wouldn't doubt if your problem is exactly the same as mine.

Whenever i shift to 2nd gear it feels like 2nd is trying to spit it out back into neutral...and i can only get around this by pausing between 1st and 2nd OR i have to rev 1st gear past 3200rpm and then quickly (and easily) shift into 2nd...

i will let you know what the new tranny feels like when i get it installed next friday...
this is extremely old news. if his vehicle needed a transmission the sound would not go away when he adjusts his driving position. this makes it easy to conclude that his laid back driving position is not allowing him to get the clutch peddle all the way in as is highly needed on this car.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Rice_Boii

ah, but i would like to also point out that i was in the same seating position that made me do the crunch noise but intead of wearing thin layers that i normally do i had on a denim jacket which happens to be very thick. And whe ni wore it the problem went away. What could it be? Cant be the jacket! Is it the way im shifting my gears. Is my technique?

Originally posted by AirWarrior

Old 01-20-2004, 11:24 PM
joust75

Default Re: crunchy gear!

Originally posted by o snap its eric
Try some elevator shoes dude!
Old 01-21-2004, 06:09 AM
B2BigAl

I do the same thing in my car. My girlfriend always puts my seat back to far after she drives it, and sure enough my gears will feel "crunchy" when I shift. Soon as I realize it and move my seat forward, problem solved. You just gotta make sure you're pushing the clutch in all the way.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:10 AM
mofoz

wait wait wait. Hold on. Your gf drives yor z? hehe
Old 01-21-2004, 05:35 PM
B2BigAl

Well, I shouldn't really say drive. It's more like, move it out of the way so she can pull her 3000GT out of the driveway. My girlfriend...driving my Z....now that's a scary thought.