Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Turbo LSX questions--would appreciate assistance

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM
biggerandbetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo LSX questions--would appreciate assistance

Well, the time has come to scrap my procharged 3.5 in my G35 and go with something beefier. It has been fun, but I want more power. I am looking at going with a 6.0 or 5.3 longblock and doing a custom single turbo on it. That being said, I do not know how to get a turbo to fit. The bay will be cramped as it is, I am curious as to if anyone has gotten a remote rear mount system to work. This would alleviate my need of an intercooler and free up space in the engine compartment. I just do not know if anyone has succeeded at doing this yet. My next question is with boost, should I do a run of the mill 5.3 for 4-500 bucks, or up for the LQ9 and go 6.0? The 6.0 winds up slower but obviously has a bigger CI and could new more power. I am ready to go either way, and have read and read and read details. Just looking for a few final details to help in my decision.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

not sure what you mean by winds up slower, if your talking free rev the displacement has little to do with it and free rev dosnt matter your not doing anything while free revving............ what are your power goals? the cylinders on the 5.3L are ridiculously thick, think it was hot rod that was running one at 1400 hp at the crank stock block trying to blow it up and couldnt. there are less head options though if you keep a slightly overbore or stock bore 5.3L obviously if you bore it out you compromise some of the advantage to going with that engine
Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM
04.350z

To be honest good for you on wanting to swap! But I think the first hurtle should be swapping just the motor and working the bugs out on that then moving on to a turbo set up. But just my opinion most people that start the swap average about a years worth of time after ironing out the issues... just my .2
Old 05-03-2013, 06:50 AM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a dude on these forums with an LS2 rear mounted twin turbo on his Z.

Here's a youtube video of his ride:

Old 05-03-2013, 06:29 PM
STL 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cramped? There's several guys here that have turbo LS swaps and looks like there's plenty of room upfront....

Post 1216
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...thread-61.html

Last edited by STL 350Z; 05-03-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:33 AM
biggerandbetter

Originally Posted by STL 350Z
Cramped? There's several guys here that have turbo LS swaps and looks like there's plenty of room upfront....

Post 1216
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...thread-61.html
my guess would be they are running a set of stock manifolds flipped around? I just have not found a whole ton, and my work computer sucks and blocks out photos haha.

As for doing the swap first, turbo later.....I just want to bite the bullet and do everything now. I always want more power, regardless of what I do. So the way I see it, if I get it to around 650rwhp now and run it for a while, I can always up boose and go bigger later. Not to mention, I am pretty sure traction will be an issue at more than that, so would have more power, but would it be "faster"

I pulled my fuel system last night and the blower setup, manifold, and started on the wiring. Im hoping to be pulling the motor/trans next sunday.

The only other thing I am questioning right now is engine choice. I am looking at a crate motor with forged pistons/rods that would run me about 5k and has 525hp out of the box. About 6psi on it should have me sitting nicely. Other option is to run a stocker 5.3 and more boost. But I am not one to want to chance things and have stuff break. I want it to be reliable and dont want to have to be replacing the bottom end all the time.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock 5.3 with turbo at 6 psi with a TH400...
Old 05-04-2013, 04:21 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

not sure how the 5.3L would be risking it, like i said 1400 at the engine and they couldnt break the thing............, the aluminum blocks need sleeves for that at a minimum or its a coin flip some handle it some dont. lq9 will handle it, alot of people recommend a half fill though to account for the thinner cylinders vs the ly5. stock lq9 bottom end is good to around 1200 idk why its weaker then the 5.3L but w/e its only slightly, forged will be perfectly fine.

big difference is the forged motor your looking at is 5k, you can pick up a complete ly5 for $150-300 at a pick a part type place plus ~$100-200 for harness and computer

if you have a hard time finding one go to a northern states on the lakes like ohio or michigan where people wreck all the time, michigan for sure alot more accidents there lol. be easy to find em there

Last edited by jerryd87; 05-04-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:41 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't have quite a few tools and able to fabricate stuff on your own then this is going to be a huge undertaking. The guys that have working LS engines in their cars spent months getting things made to fit and they have full work shops to get the work done. It's far from a weekend or even a 1 month swap.

Also, how does having a rear mount turbo "alleviate" the need for an intercooler? the air from any turbo charger is going to be hot no matter where it comes from.

Make a midmount turbo kit like Boosted performance.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Finish the swap first. Iron out the bugs then boost.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 AM
QTB

Originally Posted by jerryd87
not sure what you mean by winds up slower, if your talking free rev the displacement has little to do with it and free rev dosnt matter your not doing anything while free revving............ what are your power goals? the cylinders on the 5.3L are ridiculously thick, think it was hot rod that was running one at 1400 hp at the crank stock block trying to blow it up and couldnt. there are less head options though if you keep a slightly overbore or stock bore 5.3L obviously if you bore it out you compromise some of the advantage to going with that engine
Actually I think at the end of that article they discovered it was the 4.8L Regardless, yes there is nothing wrong with the 5.3L as quamen and others mentioned you get a lot for the money. I have a fully built LS2 and I'm sure I easily have over $10k in it, but I try not to count so I can sleep at night.