Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350z rear end/ differential failing

Old 06-05-2013, 02:04 PM
dmill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 350z rear end/ differential failing

Can anybody help me out here?

My stock rear end with open differential failed on me last summer. I bought a used one off ebay with VLSD. Last week i was doing a burn out and this one failed too!!!!! Wtf! Im really getting pissed off with the rear ends not holding up. Are the Nissan rear ends really that big of peices of ****??? Has anybody else had this problem? Please leave input. Im very frustrated and want a solution without spending $1100 on a Quaife LSD. Whats going to hold up? My cars pretty much stock besides a stage 2 clutch, intakes, and 295 wide tires in the back.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:29 PM
bigbirdmodeZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your post is about to get moved. Youll have better luck posting in the appropriate section.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why were you doing a burnout?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:20 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

What failed, bearings , gears , spider gears?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:25 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Emski
Why else? Sold the Civic, bought a Z, having fun? Really, time to grow up.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

yeah you need to elaborate on the "failed" part
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 PM
dmill

Originally Posted by terrasmak
What failed, bearings , gears , spider gears?
My guy hasnt opened it up yet. But were sure its either the spyder gears or the clutches inside the diff.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:53 PM
dmill

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
yeah you need to elaborate on the "failed" part
It was just a loud pop from the rear end when i dropped the clutch, then the car wouldnt move afterwards. It would move slightly but it acted as major clutch slippage. The shop confirmed that it wasnt the clutch though.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 PM
dmill

Idk, Your telling me you dont? Its a Z! Just some spirited driving. Ill admit, i drive the roads occasionally like its a race track, drifting corners, wrapping through the gears. I mean, thats what its made for. I cant wrap my head around how this could fail on me, then fail again after an upgrade to LSD.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

it failed because you drift on public roads like a moron and jesus zapped you

/thread
Old 06-05-2013, 07:41 PM
dmill

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
it failed because you drift on public roads like a moron and jesus zapped you

/thread
Looking for actual reasons, not ignorant comments. And I actually drive out of town on back roads. Where me and my buddies drift and drag race. So anyone else wanna help out.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 PM
dcains

Originally Posted by dmill
My guy hasnt opened it up yet. But were sure its either the spyder gears or the clutches inside the diff.
There are no spider gears or clutches inside that diff. You're an idiot, and that's reflected in your driving and repeated abuse of your car. What exactly did you expect anyone here to tell you?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

How much power do you have? Never really heard of a Z breaking a diff unless on full slicks with added power. I beat the hell out of my car, had 120k on my first diff (upgraded to OS Giken) and 35k on the OS unit. Only prob so far is a fried pinion bearing, found it when I swapped to 3.7 gears.

I really think you are fking up some how.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Emski

Idk, Your telling me you dont? Its a Z! Just some spirited driving. Ill admit, i drive the roads occasionally like its a race track, drifting corners, wrapping through the gears. I mean, thats what its made for. I cant wrap my head around how this could fail on me, then fail again after an upgrade to LSD.
No I don't do burnouts because I don't drag with race tires. You are so full of yourself but you are correct about one thing. Time for you to grow up.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:01 PM
dmill

No I don't do burnouts because I don't drag with race tires. You are so full of yourself but you are correct about one thing. Time for you to grow up.
Full of myself? Didnt know that having fun driving a car was being full of myself and immature. You must be one of those pussies that drives 5 under and has an automatic.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:19 PM
dmill

Originally Posted by dcains
There are no spider gears or clutches inside that diff. You're an idiot, and that's reflected in your driving and repeated abuse of your car. What exactly did you expect anyone here to tell you?
Ok, didnt know the stock diffs were made without spyder gears. And theres has to be clutches to allow it to distribute power. Since youre an expert, i guess you can tell me what kind of diff i should run, how to keep it from breaking again, have u or anyone else had this problem?? Enlighten me
The following users liked this post:
B1nS1n (04-23-2022)
Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 PM
dmill

Originally Posted by terrasmak
How much power do you have? Never really heard of a Z breaking a diff unless on full slicks with added power. I beat the hell out of my car, had 120k on my first diff (upgraded to OS Giken) and 35k on the OS unit. Only prob so far is a fried pinion bearing, found it when I swapped to 3.7 gears.

I really think you are fking up some how.
Yeah, I dont get it. The cars pretty much stock. I have a clutch thats like an on/off switch. It might just be grabbing so hard, when i drop it, it puts too much on the rear end...

Whats youre take?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Emski

Full of myself? Didnt know that having fun driving a car was being full of myself and immature. You must be one of those pussies that drives 5 under and has an automatic.
Name calling? You must be young.
No Barbie car here. Read my sig. Having fun is cool. What we are trying to say is keep it at the track. It's the thing you've probably never set foot on.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you have alot to learn other dude is plain wrong that there is no spider gears it couldnt work without them but your also plain wrong on there having to be clutchs not even close to the case even with the lsd. on to your issue the problem is you, your obviously doing something that shouldnt be done or doing something wrong because there are people here who make 600+ on stock rears with absolutely no issues. my bet is low or no fluid in them
Ok, didnt know the stock diffs were made without spyder gears. And theres has to be clutches to allow it to distribute power. Since youre an expert, i guess you can tell me what kind of diff i should run, how to keep it from breaking again, have u or anyone else had this problem?? Enlighten me
Old 06-06-2013, 12:14 AM
dcains

VLSD is a viscous coupling between the two output shafts - no spider gears, no clutches. There is a pinion gear attached to the driveshaft, meshed to the ring gear, onto which the sealed VLSD housing is bolted. One output shaft attaches to each end of the VLSD housing.

As for the OP, an old Bhuddist teaching suggests we "contemplate the vase already broken".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 350z rear end/ differential failing