Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

OEM LSD should I?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 PM
steven350

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

nismo lsd... i learned to live with it..
Old 07-19-2013, 12:25 PM
wird06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I wouldn't waste my money on an OEM VLSD , 30% lock max in perfect condition. Perfect condition doesn't last long. The OEM unit is only good for the drive to Walmart and the office.
Just wondering (not trying to stir up anything), but where do these percentage rates come from? Is there any data at all to back up peoples " numbers" on the stock VLSD?
Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wird06
Just wondering (not trying to stir up anything), but where do these percentage rates come from? Is there any data at all to back up peoples " numbers" on the stock VLSD?
This ^
Old 07-19-2013, 05:34 PM
NightShade

Originally Posted by ShineMaster
I got a Quaife 2 way and took the Z to VIR. Performance was great! I drift the car every now and then, much more predictable than an open diff. Also, if you are on a track, the diff actually helps to turn the car as the axel locks and the outer wheel 'pushes' your car into the turn. Pretty awesome, lots of fun. I got it a year ago and had it professionally installed, and used Red Line fluid which is probably why it hasn't turned into a $1200 paperweight.
You need to read the thread I posted earlier. It has nothing to do with the fluid. If it installs properly that is great. But Quaife had a run where they did not have the proper dimensions and a couple people got screwed because Quaife, the vendors that sold it, and Motovicity the main distributor in the USA would not give any help to replace or remedy the situation. To me buying one is a crap shoot. You might get a good one, you might not. But do you really want to take the chance when you can get another brand for a couple hundred more?

And BTW, the Quaife is not a 2-way differential. If one of the wheels loses all traction, for example if it lifts completely off the ground, it will act like an open differential.

As for the guy wondering about the VLSD, they all progressively get worse over time and fail eventually.

Limited-slip differential on Wikipedia:
"Viscous LSDs are less efficient than mechanical types, that is, they "lose" some power. In particular, any sustained load which overheats the silicone results in sudden permanent loss of the differential effect. They do have the virtue of failing gracefully, reverting to semi-open differential behavior. Typically a visco-differential that has covered 60,000 miles (97,000 km) or more will be functioning largely as an open differential; this is a known weakness of the original Mazda MX-5 (a.k.a. Miata) sports car. The silicone oil is factory sealed in a separate chamber from the gear oil surrounding the rest of the differential. This is not serviceable; when the differential's behavior deteriorates, the VLSD center must be replaced."

Again, do you want to take that chance, or do you want to do it right the first time?

BTW, someone mentioned that the newest VLSD would be from a 2008 Z. Aren't the pumpkins in the 350Z and 370Z the same?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:59 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I have really enjoyed my OE VLSD, I rarely track my car, last time was 3 years ago. Get the 370z/G37 one with the 3.7 final drive, extra bonus . It's been one of my favorite mods. You can find them for around $500 with fairly low miles.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:42 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RENFRO
Definitely not saying the VLSD is great by any means...but is there any real evidence proving the VLSD sucks so bad? I just find it odd that Nissan would have wasted their time for it to just "go bad" after hardly any miles have been put on it.

I do intend to upgrade mine at some point in the future when I decide to swap gears if I stay N/A...but it sure does do a damn better job than an open diff...
---read my post 9 first then my reply below:

Nissan designed a VLSD that the "Masses" will love - think about it, there are ton of Z's out there and only a niche market are the "enthusiast".....

I know tons of co-workers, friends that simply daily drive and don't change their own oil, garage kept and sell it later cause they want something newer...

ie, Nissan gave the Z a quiet, friendly vlsd that meets the minimum requirements....

that being said - Nissan hit the market just fine! did they fall short for enthusiast, i would say ya just a bit....

Now to answer your question more directly:

Ex#1:
-you think your vlsd does a dammn better job than an open diff - I would say 'yes, i agree'

--- as in, if your driving home and a sudden medium rain starts,...... your driving carefully and responsibly but then you take a turn in the rain and the rear "slips".....the vlsd diff didn't let you completely get sideways - then - the VDC sensors that are mounted on the diff output shafts catch the variance in rotational speeds on each side of the diff and it actives - which turns on the abs cross manipulation braking / cuts power the engine and saves you from completely sliding. yey nissan vdc system....

---in that above situation - think about it, whats the resistance the vlsd is counter-reacting???

its reacting very very little resistance, i mean your traction gave way, the vlsd shear'd ......

the rain is lifting the oils from the ground and putting them on the surface of the water creating a laminar sheet of thin slippery lubricant on the road...

the thick viscosity of the vlsd unit inside the rear diff can hold the two sides of the diff together UNTIL it reached that turn you just lost it on...ie, a failure....

--meaning, - my point -- is that it takes very little for the vlsd "when new" to shear......

Remember- the above example is an example of the vlsd failing.....ie, the viscous fluid in the vlsd shearing and the car loosing it.

Ex#2:
---- where does the vlsd shine - (again when new):
when your driving striaght down a road in that same rain and you hit some puddles in the road...you hit a puddle on the right hand, passenger side and the car stays going straight - you will see the vdc / slip light flash for a quick moment, but the car STAYS going straight! meaning the Left hand drivers side wheel had more traction, the vlsd kept the RH side spinning at its same speed UNTIL it hit that puddle, at that moment the RH side spun faster, due to the loss of traction and the VDC system reacted - agian from the sensors catching that delta/change in rotation...it was so fast that it kept YOU safe and the car driving straight and forward.....

- testing -

This is how, stop at grocery store, buy a gallon of water...

Then, find a asphalt road with no street curb- like a local city park road or parking lot or something, back the car up at an angle to where the front wheels and the drivers side wheel is on the asphalt but only the passenger side rear wheel is on the nice green grass.....

Test 1:
-get back in the car and drive fwd and see how you get out of the grass and back onto the asphalt....take note of what lights and be aware of how the car reacts, feel the rear end catch and remember that feeling..

- do it again and a new spot a few feet away from the first spot - well, because the grass is most likely flattened and fugged up....remember good testing is duplicating all aspects of the environment of the test...

Test 2:
reposition the car again same as test 1, but this time get out, pour water all over the grass in front of the passenger side tire, ie the path the rear passenger side tire will travel and now try and get out...

- take extra gallons of water and try it again if you want..

remember notice the difference, watch the lights on your dash and FEEL how the car reacts...

ALSO --- have your friends go with you cause you may need help pushing your car if you get stuck....lol...

My point - i have and felt and KNOW when a vlsd is working and dead and acting like an open diff, been there done that.....what im proposing is for you to test for your self and realize what me and others are talking about when we comment on the the VLSD "limited" capabilities....

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 07-22-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:25 PM
RENFRO

Pretty much the best answer ever.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ thx...

I rock a loud a *** Nismo LSD in my car........im use to its harsh noise, clunk and popping.....but it's the "sound of performance" every time i hear it......

too bad im a **** poor driver...wah wah...

-J
Old 07-22-2013, 11:48 AM
RENFRO

haha man I'm the same way. My clutch chatter is crazy with my lightweight flywheel, momentum exhaust, spl front a arms, soon to be installed whiteline diff bushings. The sound has never bothered me!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Diggles

No one ever answered ... How loud are we talking on the clutch diff's
Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 PM
RENFRO

Probably loud enough to where if you're actually worried about it you should buy a different vehicle.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:56 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ that's a great answer....

if your really that worried and want lsd thats not loud, clunky, etc then really about your only option is the quaife helical geared lsd....most clutch plate friction locking lsd will be noisy and usually operate like a on/off switch.......

os giken would be your next - but due to cost, i wouldnt unless you know you plan to utilize it....u can set the giken up to your needs..adjust the spring tension on it for street driving an make it quiet..

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 07-22-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:58 AM
RENFRO

I guess I'm a little weird though. I love all the sounds of my Z. Flywheel chatter, stupid loud exhaust, whine from my poly tranny bushing...I'm all about function, but to really do it right you gotta pay to play sometimes. If I spend the $$ on a serious diff, that sumbish better lock up hardcore
Old 07-23-2013, 06:14 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by RENFRO
I guess I'm a little weird though. I love all the sounds of my Z. Flywheel chatter, stupid loud exhaust, whine from my poly tranny bushing...I'm all about function, but to really do it right you gotta pay to play sometimes. If I spend the $$ on a serious diff, that sumbish better lock up hardcore
You want a clutch style then. No point of being FI without a real diff
Old 07-23-2013, 12:10 PM
NightShade

Originally Posted by Diggles
No one ever answered ... How loud are we talking on the clutch diff's

As one forum member put it, he likes the "Predator" sound.

Note, this is without the fluid combination I mentioned above. Mine only gets this loud now when I need to change it. Oh, and it really only happens in slow turns like in the video.

Last edited by NightShade; 07-23-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
oem made a pretty noticeable difference on my 08 base model. if the price is right i say do it. got mine for 150 bucks a while back.
+1 i did the same thing on my 08
Old 07-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NightShade
NISMO GT PRO LSD

As one forum member put it, he likes the "Predator" sound.

Note, this is without the fluid combination I mentioned above. Mine only gets this loud now when I need to change it. Oh, and it really only happens in slow turns like in the video.
wow that must be pretty annoying! Ive heard about the loudness of the nismo but had no idea it was that bad! blehhh
Old 07-23-2013, 02:41 PM
stuartc323

Find a clutch type LSD 1.5 or 2 way, they will be loud, but you want performance, that is the trade off.

If your just streeting the car, get a quaife.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Diggles

Thats not that bad , but does changing the lsd mess with the vdc ?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:11 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Diggles
Thats not that bad , but does changing the lsd mess with the vdc ?
NO, but when you are racing, drifting etc, you want to turn off vdc obviously as you dont want the vdc interacting and getting in the way..

See post 28 and post 29 here:

https://my350z.com/forum/6274342-post28.html

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 07-25-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM LSD should I?