Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

OEM LSD should I?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:46 PM
sonnydayZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM LSD should I?

Hey guys looking to throw an LSD on my 03 base. I was doing some research and I'm looking to get a quaife LSD in the future but that not going to be for sometime considering that its 1000+. I was wondering if I should just pickup a OEM VLSD from higher models and just throw that on her for the time being since they seem to go for a far more affordable price. (at this point in time) All I have is apexi drop in dryfilter with motordyne plenum spacer. Focusing on suspension and brakes next then Saving the rest to hopefully go F/I soon. What do you guys think?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:00 AM
JonnyZCar

Fellow Oregonian!!!

I have a base 2004 and bought a KAAZ LSD. I screwed up and didn't let the locktite set on the gear long enough and one of the screws backed out and blew a hole in the casing. If you convert the base diff you'll need new output shafts.
So, I bought a Track model OEM LSD from a used parts store (slidegood.com) online for $450 (included the casing,shafts,etc complete) and put that in until I get the time to take it apart and put the KAAZ in it.
So far the OEM LSD is working fine. They said the car it came out of only had 40k miles. It came without diff oil (for shipping purposes) so you'll 2-3 quarts.

Last edited by JonnyZCar; 07-18-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:23 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I wouldn't waste my money on an OEM VLSD , 30% lock max in perfect condition. Perfect condition doesn't last long. The OEM unit is only good for the drive to Walmart and the office.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:53 PM
knuckles899

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Weld it!!!!!! Just saying people do that....technically the cheapest route to take until you can do a better lsd. I have absolutely no experience with a welded diff though so as far as how bad it's going to chew up the rear tires... maybe someone can chime in?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Diggles

Ive been wondering about the oem lsd also i have an 03 touring and when i turn off vdc and whip it around a corner im rarely getting two tire marks is there another lsd mabey an adjustable one , will it mess up the stability control ?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:21 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Just save your money and get a Quaife LSD.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

oem made a pretty noticeable difference on my 08 base model. if the price is right i say do it. got mine for 150 bucks a while back.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:05 PM
NightShade

Originally Posted by midz350
Just save your money and get a Quaife LSD.
People are still recommending the Quaife? I know from my experience I ended up with a $1200 paperweight. And I'm not the only one. Search on the boards, there is a thread around here where people had fitment problems the last few years.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I wouldn't waste my money on an OEM VLSD , 30% lock max in perfect condition. Perfect condition doesn't last long. The OEM unit is only good for the drive to Walmart and the office.
^ Exactly!

Think about it guys:

The 350z is an out of production car.....The newest 350z OEM VLSD would be from an 08, so, lets just say if you happened to find an 08 at a junk yard/for sale, etc.... that lets say has 20K miles and the vlsd is there and can be pulled...its already a 4+ year old vlsd and odds are the viscous fluid in it is shot....meaning heat and age alone - "exaggeration of example for clarity" -ex---> have turned the vlsd from a thick syrup with high resistant viscosity that acts like an lsd to thin azz water that does nothing and now the diff just works like an open diff.....

- other than i guess you can buy a oem diff from a dealer - thats probably a ridiculous expensive, then really its a waste of time and money to get an oem vlsd..

-- next, I'm not a fan of the quaife at all - this is a 350z, not a daily driving truck - helical gear diffs are not for a Z!, seriously guys...get a real lsd if you want an lsd..if not, drive like grandma....

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 07-18-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NightShade
People are still recommending the Quaife? I know from my experience I ended up with a $1200 paperweight. And I'm not the only one. Search on the boards, there is a thread around here where people had fitment problems the last few years.
I remember reading about a shipment couple of years ago that had bad fitment units. I thought they fixed that.

The only one I would recommend is the OS Giken. But its not as cheap as the Quaife.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:41 PM
sonnydayZ

ok so no on a used OEM lsd..... as for the quaife all the reviews I have been reading are from years back its hard finding recent topics.... any recommendations? for both cheaper or better quality ones? JonnyZCar!! where are all the oregonian z drivers at? trying to get some knowledge on the zed!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Diggles

What about the nismo lsd i was just looking at that apparentley its adjustable , and im still curipus if a different lsd messes with vdc
Old 07-19-2013, 12:47 AM
sonnydayZ

Originally Posted by Diggles
What about the nismo lsd i was just looking at that apparentley its adjustable , and im still curipus if a different lsd messes with vdc
I was looking into that too I hear mixed reviews but for the most part people to say its fairly decent just really loud?
Old 07-19-2013, 01:24 AM
350z-Helsinki

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think that the VLSD is fine if you don't track your car. If you do take it to the track you will find out the limitations pretty soon. I replaced the VLSD with Quaife and the difference was huge. Fitment was good. If a shop installs it go with a aftermarket diff.

The Quaife is good, but I wish that I would have bought the OSgiken since I got interested in drifting. Don't get me wrong you can drift easily with the Quaife, but sometimes you get into situations where the lock just isn't strong enough. Don't weld it!

Last edited by 350z-Helsinki; 07-19-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:02 AM
JonnyZCar

Originally Posted by sonnydayZ
JonnyZCar!! where are all the oregonian z drivers at? trying to get some knowledge on the zed!
I don't belong to any clubs, but a friend of mine is in this one: http://www.northwestz.org/

Here's the deal. You have no LSD. To put in an aftermarket one in your casing you still need output shafts (they're different). And you might as well put new bearings in while your at it. That totals what a used track model LSD costs, BUT you get the output shafts! I like having extra parts so that rout worked out for me.

If I get off my lazy butt and put my KAAZ LSD back in my car I'll sell you my Track model LSD and the shafts. Then you can do the swap in your car. The OEM LSD isn't for racing but it will stop the one wheel spins.

Send me a PM if you're interested.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:33 AM
seymore4
Professional

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by midz350
The only one I would recommend is the OS Giken. But its not as cheap as the Quaife.
This guy knows whats up.

A quality aftermarket LSD (Os Giken, Tomei, etc) will be a very worthwhile mod if you plan on owning the car for a long time... if not honestly anything is better than an open dif. Look on craigslist for someone parting out a wreck, I bought one pumpkin and all for $150 a while back. Direct bolt in.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:08 AM
NightShade

Originally Posted by sonnydayZ
I was looking into that too I hear mixed reviews but for the most part people to say its fairly decent just really loud?
Yes, it is loud if you don't have the right fluid, especially when it is cold. For me the right mixture was Motul 90PA + 1 bottle of friction modifier.

Otherwise its loud as heck. Can't beat the difference in handling though.

Here is the thread where people were having problems with the Quaife last year.
Quaife issues

Last edited by NightShade; 07-19-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:06 AM
Diggles

So like how loud are we talking ?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:07 AM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Definitely not saying the VLSD is great by any means...but is there any real evidence proving the VLSD sucks so bad? I just find it odd that Nissan would have wasted their time for it to just "go bad" after hardly any miles have been put on it.

I do intend to upgrade mine at some point in the future when I decide to swap gears if I stay N/A...but it sure does do a damn better job than an open diff...
Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 PM
ShineMaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NightShade
I got a Quaife 2 way and took the Z to VIR. Performance was great! I drift the car every now and then, much more predictable than an open diff. Also, if you are on a track, the diff actually helps to turn the car as the axel locks and the outer wheel 'pushes' your car into the turn. Pretty awesome, lots of fun. I got it a year ago and had it professionally installed, and used Red Line fluid which is probably why it hasn't turned into a $1200 paperweight.

Quick Reply: OEM LSD should I?