Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Modified Revup Oil pump!!

Old 03-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Total D

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Modified Revup Oil pump with billet gears

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share some info on the Revup oil pump I had modified for my setup. I didn't want to dive into the DRY Sump boat just yet. My goal was to be able to rev up to around 8600-9k RPMs. With knowing that the stock pumps couldn't handle or maintain those levels over a period of time, I got in touch with one my good friends, to see what we could do.

So, here is the break down of the revup pump. This one is brand new out the box from Nissan.

This is a result of the OE chamfer on the gear. There's a little ridge where they tried to brake the corner with a grinder. Leaving small impressions circularly.

This is one of the newer designs. Quite efficient. Nissan is actually using the chamfered 45 method on the edge. That's something we see in a lot of newer pump designs. They took it only half way. In the process of chamfering the edge they created a lip.

Raised lip only on 1 surface. Whoops

Pump exit location. Flow cavitation issues with this particular spot. Nissan radius half of the outlet, but cannot get the front corner due to the angle. Needs to be done by hand. Far to much work for the factory clowns.

Very nice Teardrop from the factory. Won't need any work on entry.

This is the OE chamfer. You can see closely the burs left that are riding on the housing edge. They will come off under use, but at the expense of moving debris and the potential for damage on the inner surfaces. These need to be removed in the vibratory.

I'll post the pics of the modified pump shortly.

Regards,
Jeremiah

Last edited by Total D; 02-17-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:34 AM
npr350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, bump for props
Old 03-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Total D

Now the VQ35 Oil Pump Completed. Was able to find 8% more flow at higher RPM. I'm confident we can maintain 8500RPM without cavitation!

The finish on the pump shows a circular cutter of sorts. Almost lookes like a lathe or very large cutter. What Nissan managed to do is create a surface which didn't seal very well to the backing plate. I've hand dressed on a stone the housing as best as possible. I was able to amost get the housing to hold 20" of vaccum where I could only previously get 2-5". This resulted in a larger flow volume at higher RPM. With a better seal here we are not losing flow volume through bleed off.

All Sharp Edges were broken and reliefs fixed and dressed. You can see some of the larger scratches on the face of the housing in this picture. Imagine that one particular scratch and that was the entire surface of the housing.

Backing plate is refinished to an almost clearcoat like finish/texture. Surface finish under 1Ra.

Tear Dropped and radius exit. Finishing what Nissan started.

Gearset under 1 Ra....Was previously the equivalent of a 400 grit sandpaper finish.

Added Radius to front Edge and larger relief in the base. Was previously riding on the housing.

Thanks for reading. I hope this info is helpful for those of you in the same position I am or if you wanting a pump that will allow you to rev a bit higher than stock.

Regards,
Jeremiah
Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

I love this, I am in for results!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Total D

Results so far for the VQ35 Oil Pump Revup model.

We were able to find 8% more flow at higher RPM. I'm confident we can maintain 8500RPM without cavitation!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:14 PM
npr350z

So silly question, why not use a hr pump and just have new gears made to handle the rpm? I've heard that it's made of softer materiel than the revups, but on the hr with less vibrations it's good up to ~9000rpm. So harder gears in a hr oil pump would get you there right?

I'm not knocking, what you've done is fabulous and I give you props for laying the ground work.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Total D

Honestly it keeps cost done for anyone wanting to due this mod. The mod is $395, where as if I did custom gears, I'd be spending over a 1k due to cost having to have someone machine the gears, draw them, make sure they work and clearances are in check. Most people on this forum will opt for this over the custom gears and two it's just financially a better route to go. This setup will definitely work better than stock and you can see the difference in the before and after.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:17 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Interesting , I need to pull one apart and have fun prior to my build
Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Total D

I can get one done for you if you'd like. PM me if interested. I would do a new pump honestly as you don't know how much material may be gone from clearances or extra material.

Regardless let me know

Jeremiah
Old 03-08-2014, 08:59 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

I will talk with the engine builder and see what they think, I am planning on revving to 8200 all day long, this may just increase my margin for error a bit.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Total D

You definitely won't have that problem with running this mod. We have done quite a few Supra's and GTR's as well. Figured if it worked for the those, we could find some improvements with the VQ revup pump.

Let me know, I'll get you taken care of.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:46 PM
npr350z

Hmmm so good to ~8500 rpm right? I'll have to remember this.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:54 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

How do you think your Modified Pump compares to the Cosworth Pump?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:50 PM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another awesome innovation.

Any plans on selling this in the market?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Total D

Originally Posted by npr350z
Hmmm so good to ~8500 rpm right? I'll have to remember this.
Yes sir, I needed as much RPM as I could get without going drysump. With the twin 67mm turbo kit I have the more right I can go the better, power just like to keep climbing.

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
How do you think your Modified Pump compares to the Cosworth Pump?
To answer it honestly, I haven't tested it against the Cosworth pump. I'm just stating what my pump is capable of. Pricing is very similar, we are pleased with our results though. This just another avenue VQ guys can go. If I could get a Cosworth for testing, I would test it against ours.

Originally Posted by 350Zdj
Another awesome innovation.

Any plans on selling this in the market?
Yes, My cost on Revup pump + $395. Looking to get a vendor licenses, so I can do it the right for the community.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:12 AM
sprocketser

Great job on the pump s blueprinting mate ! Will you do the same to your block & heads !
Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Total D

Originally Posted by sprocketser
Great job on the pump s blueprinting mate ! Will you do the same to your block & heads !
Thanks man. Heads and block are already done. I will be doing another setup later this year.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:16 AM
sprocketser

I ll look forward to that thread for sure .

Do you have a thread on the Engine Build ! New here fella . Hey forget it , just found it .

Last edited by sprocketser; 03-10-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Total D

A little more on the pump comparing it to the Cosworth.

After reading the insert about the Cosworth here:

Cosworth Pump

This in response to that article:

The WPC takes micro particles and dimples the material surface. This in turn creates a more uniform finish and reduces surface tension. The WPC would be great for the housing but not for the gears themselves. We do not want the metal to have a (I don't like oil attitude) We want them to effectively cling the surface tension of the oil without sacrificing abrasive behavior. This is why we use an abrasive / chemical approach to finishing of the bears. During the abrasive process, I have control over how much surface material is removed. The ability to control that allows me to control oil film thickness on the outside of the gear. So for instance we have a gear to tight in the housing. I can uniformly remove material in the abrasive step to control the housing to gear ratio.

Secondly. Without using the abrasive step, we can not adequately control the radius on the edges. After a 45 is added to the rotor, there is no possible way to blend using the WPC treatment.

Both of our methods to the housing are likely the same with the exception that I will hand fit the rear cover and test for vacuum.

The gear is in my hand. Never leaves my hand...and is always under my supervision as 5 people don't need to touch it. The likely hood of having variances is minimal specifically because of that.
Hope this helps more.

Jeremiah
Old 03-10-2014, 12:02 PM
phunk2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good post and and good thread. Sub'd.

I am curious to find your results in use. Since you have tested it to have greater output at the higher RPMs, then your improvements must have been much needed since you didnt change displacement and I assume measured output at the same RPMs for comparison.

I know of some guys that tried reworking that pump. I am told that they were steel sleeving the housing while they were at it. The pumps life was extended in their road racing application but it was ultimately still failing too much and they went dry sump.

JWT expressed to me that they believe the failure has more to do with harmonic forces transferred into the pumps, and that ultimately the setup is failure prone. This would also possibly be why Nissan found it prudent to take the oil pump off the crankshaft on the VR38. Although I am sure that it could also be partly motivated by how they wanted a second stage of the pump for the turbo oil drains.

For my 370z, I am trying to put a VR38 oil pump on my VHR motor! Not an easy task.. crankshaft modifications required.

Last edited by phunk2; 03-10-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Modified Revup Oil pump!!