Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

flywheel/ clutch purchase....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 12:50 PM
redline350ZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flywheel/ clutch purchase....

im gonna buy a flywheel soon.... as soon as i figure out what clutch to get... i want the JWT cause its lightweight but not too extreme like the tilton..... but what clutch should i get???? i want something lightweight thats not to hard for stop and go traffic.... im not very informed on what makes a good clutch... i want something that has some play.... streetable that is....
Old 02-09-2004, 06:52 AM
redline350ZZ

anyone????
Old 02-09-2004, 06:54 AM
FLY BY Z

Any of them. I have a NISMO. Some people like the ones for the 300Z. Just note that you can't use the JWT 350Z Clutch with the JWT 350Z Flywheel but you can use the JWT 300Z Clutch with the 350Z Flywheel.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:13 AM
350zdanny

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
Any of them. I have a NISMO. Some people like the ones for the 300Z. Just note that you can't use the JWT 350Z Clutch with the JWT 350Z Flywheel but you can use the JWT 300Z Clutch with the 350Z Flywheel.
Why is that?
Old 02-09-2004, 09:29 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by 350zdanny
Why is that?
Hell if I know. That was reported by Performance.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say either the NISMO or JWT flywheel.

You can find them both at this link...

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...?cPath=153_175
Old 02-09-2004, 11:11 AM
ocjared

I jsut had the Nismo Clutch and JWT flywheel installed. (I was the guinea pig for the jwt clutch/flywheel setup at performance)
There is definitely a noise below 2500 rpms. Though it is really only noticable when I am either outside the car or parked in my garage and it goes away when you depress the clutch.
As far as drivability is concerned, it was unaffected. I had no problem adjusting to the new setup. The car responds and revs a lot faster. Huge increase on the, highly underrated, butt dyno.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:22 PM
redline350ZZ

I know that the JWT flywheel is 399.00 through performance but how much is the NISMO clutch???? (my nissan dealer doesnt have a price for me), and does it come as a total assembley or do i have to buy it in pieces???? well I guess im gonna go with the NISMO clutch cause the JWT wont fit..... what is the NISMO clutch rated at for max HP???? is their any other flywheel i should consider besides the tilton????
Old 02-09-2004, 01:39 PM
FLY BY Z

NISMO holds 412 ftlbs of torque (only one of us is making more than that right now and it cost over 13K).
Old 02-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Nismo clutch from us is $480
Old 02-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Dth288

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
Nismo clutch from us is $480
what would be the Labor cost of a clutch and flywheel there at performance??
Old 02-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Phatmitzu

Any noise problem with the Nismo flywheel + stock clutch??
Old 02-11-2004, 05:04 AM
FLY BY Z

Just want to say that the JWT/JWT comment I made isn't true. The thread I referenced turned out errored. So the two should work together without issue. Sorry.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:19 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

nismo flywheel doesnt add any noise more then stock at all compared to the others...

when I take people for a ride in my car with the tilton flywheel (lightest and noisest flywheel of them all) people are like "Thats the chatter that people are complaining about?"

DTH I will PM you...
Old 02-11-2004, 06:22 PM
nuttyprof

how much harder is it to drive with the lighter flywheel? will it shorten the life of a stock clutch due to the need for higher revs? any other cons to this? and how much is the install? oh yea, is there a loss of torque too?
Old 02-12-2004, 06:21 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

if you go with a JWT or NISMO flywheel you do not have to worry about the life of your stock clutch. Unless you ride it and slip it all day long, but it would wear the same with the stock flywheel.

The only set up that makes a really notchy ride is the TILTON because of its clutch. Not the flywheel. At the moment we only have rally, racing, and carbon carbon clutches for the tilton which are so grabby you cant slip the clutch at all. If you are not thinking about it, when starting from a dead stop you will stall out and almost hit the steeringwheel.

With the JWT / NISMO set ups it is still smooth and easy to drive.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:29 AM
350zdanny

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
if you go with a JWT or NISMO flywheel you do not have to worry about the life of your stock clutch. Unless you ride it and slip it all day long, but it would wear the same with the stock flywheel.

The only set up that makes a really notchy ride is the TILTON because of its clutch. Not the flywheel. At the moment we only have rally, racing, and carbon carbon clutches for the tilton which are so grabby you cant slip the clutch at all. If you are not thinking about it, when starting from a dead stop you will stall out and almost hit the steeringwheel.

With the JWT / NISMO set ups it is still smooth and easy to drive.
That's what I'm looking for in a clutch: blunt head trauma. Is the Tilton clutch/flywheel doable outside of CA. I know you guys have major traffic problems in some areas. It's not much better in NJ, but I'd like to go as light as possible with my flywheel. I've been sitting on $1000 for a while now, but I'm scared of the tilton! Also, I know someone listed the holding capacity of the Nismo. What is the holding capacity of the tilton? Thanks, Jason.

Dan
Old 02-12-2004, 06:38 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by 350zdanny
That's what I'm looking for in a clutch: blunt head trauma. Is the Tilton clutch/flywheel doable outside of CA. I know you guys have major traffic problems in some areas. It's not much better in NJ, but I'd like to go as light as possible with my flywheel. I've been sitting on $1000 for a while now, but I'm scared of the tilton! Also, I know someone listed the holding capacity of the Nismo. What is the holding capacity of the tilton? Thanks, Jason.

Dan
Holding capacity of the TILTON is much more then a VQ45 can handle... Even built up low compression turbo motor...

I drive my tilton in rush hour traffic... Some times for 40 miles home from work...

You look past the notchy starts at slow speeds when you get the car on the high way and 3rd gear pulls like 1st...

Ive gotten used to starting slow with the tilton... You can get a good launch down with the tilton, its hard, but its harder for your passanger because you pretty much nail it off the line, (or green light)...

I have driven in Jersey and NYC from when I used to live in boston. Not as many hills as there are here... those are the only other things to be scared of... and you dont really have many there...

rush hour traffic or going on to a bridge and a toll lane, would be the onlythings I would think that arent that great for the clutch...

but you can do it, i do it.. ive done it for over 7000 miles and i can never even in my last wish go back to driving a car with a stock flywheel or even a nismo flywheel set up... it is really that amazing...
Old 02-12-2004, 06:49 AM
jeffery

I have a very short, sloped driveway that I have to back in on at a 45 degree angle & then straighten to park in my 'very tight' garage. Do you think that's do able with the Tilton set up?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:27 AM
nuttyprof

wont using the tilton put more stress on the other parts of the drivetrain? i dont know man, that sounds great to have 3rd drive like 1st, but with the traffic in LA getting worse every year i dont think i can put up with it.

Quick Reply: flywheel/ clutch purchase....