Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

JWT Clutch/Lightweight Flywheel 05 350z

Old 04-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Chris Moody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JWT Clutch/Lightweight Flywheel 05 350z

I've seen people have issues with this clutch for the 07-08 model but none for the 05. My intentions are to post my issues and solutions, as they're found, for any person in the future who runs into similar situations.

Reason for Upgrade: While driving one day my clutch pedal hit the floor and wouldn't return. After some time the car wouldn't even crank. Come to find out, my throw out bearing was stuck the shaft and had damaged my clutch plate. So I ordered the JWT Clutch/Lightweight flywheel. I also ordered a new slave cylinder and master cylinder along with it. I dropped it off at my mechanic and he took the old one off and put the new one on.

I drive it for roughly two days and now it won't go into any gear. I can shift gears when the car is off but I can't even force a shift when the car is on. If i crank the car in gear it lunges forward and then cuts off. He's telling me it's probably the flywheel. He admitted that he ran into an issue with torquing the flywheel bolts on the JWT Flywheel. He said because of a recess on the JWT Flywheel it was hard to torque the bolts.

Is this an issue anyone else has run into? Also, did anyone have a problem torquing the bolts onto the JWT Flywheel? Is it possible that he's assembling it improperly?

I'll do a follow up on this post with a solution!! The car will get picked up and diagnosed tomorrow so I'll post the follow up!
Old 04-10-2016, 10:51 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Your clutch isn't disengaging. First thing I'd check is your hydraulics for a proper bleed. If you can see that the slave cylinder is moving its normal range of travel, then it's something internal. Perhaps the ball pivot for the clutch fork? Not sure about the flywheel, as if it were loose, you'd surely hear some nasty noises with the engine running.
The following users liked this post:
Chris Moody (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 03:33 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Does the clutch pedal operate normally? If it has air in the system it will pull itself to the floor when you try to push the pedal and you'll have to manually pull it back up.

I installed my own JWT flywheel/clutch combo on my 04 and had zero issues with the install. The hardest part was getting the input shaft lined up and the transmission stabbed back in.
The following users liked this post:
Chris Moody (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 10:01 AM
Chris Moody

Will check slave master for bleeding issue today. The mechanic who put it in had an issue bleeding it with the SS line, claiming it kept leaking and that he had to add a washer for a proper seal.

It's hard to determine based upon noises because of flywheel chatter. Also, I'm fairly new to my Z (I've only had it for a year) and so I'm a novice at diagnostics. I'm hoping it's as simple as a bleeding issue, as my slave cylinder is external and it should be an easy fix. I'm on hold now with JWT and I'll follow up with everyone. I appreciate any advice given and hope this thread helps someone else who runs into the same issues.

Last edited by Chris Moody; 04-11-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:33 AM
Chris Moody

JWT Says the washers provided in the kit should mitigate any issue with torquing down the bolts on the flywheel. They told they've sold thousands of these, i can imagine, for a number of vehicles ranging from the 300-370. I spoke with the shop and he's trying to blame the issue on the part. It might turn out to be a small claims court issue.. Sigh. I think I'll have it towed to a The Z Shop in Greensboro, NC who specializes in Z's ( I've probably should have done this first) and see if they can determine what the issue is. If it was an installation issue I'm forwarding the bill. Either way.. I'll post what the actual issue is/was!
Old 04-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Chris Moody

Sooo.. Funny stories.. Tried to get my car towed earlier today but couldn't find the tow hook in my trunk. And as my car is lowered I figured I needed one. So, I checked my maxima and there wasn't one in there either. Nissan was going to charge me 67.00 so, I went to a pull-a-part where I recently purchased a convertible top and replaced mine (DIY pics coming soon). Not only did i find one there they gave it to me for free.

Now, onto the drama. The shop doesn't want to take responsibility and told me so. So it's sitting at a shop to be diagnosed tomorrow. JWT actually gave me a call today and attempted to help solve the problem and offered me their number and advice to give to the shop. They exhibited what I would call above and beyond customer service. They initialized the conversation to help and provided some diagnostic solutions as well as held open their door for further contact. With that being said I guess I can review my 2 days of having my JWT Clutch/Flywheel.

The clutch pedal wasn't mushy and engaged similarly to my stock. It did however grab a lot better than my previous clutch and I had to get used to that. I heard others mention that you have to change your shifting behaviors, which is true, but I was comfortable shifting within the two days I had it (Rev-matching during downshift and all). There was slight chatter whenever stopped and in neutral with the foot off the clutch, however, it was more noticeable outside than inside. It went away when the foot engaged the clutch and there was a minimal amount of chatter at lower rpm in 1st, around 1500 rpm, but it was barely noticeable. I am thoroughly happy with the two day performance of my JWT Clutch/Flywheel and their service and would recommend them to anyone.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Chris Moody

So.. it actually ended up being the bolts for the flywheel. Apparently, the mechanic didn't tighten them and by the time the clutch was off and the tranny down the bolts were barely hand tightened. One bolt had escaped and been dancing with my flywheel. The flywheel is ruined, the clutch is scratched up and the clutch plate has hot spots on it. Needless to say I've already ordered another one next day. The mechanics told me at the Z shop that the external chatter that I heard was probably more due to the interaction between the free bolt and the flywheel than just the flywheel itself.

Pics coming soon. My advice, either do it yourself or get someone who knows their way around the Z and the performance part that you intend to place on the vehicle.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:55 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I hope they are sorting this out for you.
Mistakes of course happen but there's no excuse for this kind of job.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:52 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Loctite and a torque wrench are your friends. I would make the old shop pay for this complete repair. Parts, shipping, labor, tow, everything. It's their fault you had to spend extra money so they should cover the costs of it.