** INTAKES -- Z-Tube/PopCharger VS STILLEN VS Admin tuning VS LMT VS others? - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Go Back  MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion > 350Z Tech Area > Engine & Drivetrain
Reload this Page >

** INTAKES -- Z-Tube/PopCharger VS STILLEN VS Admin tuning VS LMT VS others?

Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

** INTAKES -- Z-Tube/PopCharger VS STILLEN VS Admin tuning VS LMT VS others?

Old 10-22-2016, 10:03 AM
  #1  
ZFifty
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
ZFifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 26
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question ** INTAKES -- Z-Tube/PopCharger VS STILLEN VS Admin tuning VS LMT VS others?

Hello all-

I have been researching intakes/upgrades to air intake and have heard conflicting reviews.


WHICH?? Some say stick with the Ztube n pop charger, low cost -& that the bigger intakes are not worth the$$ BUT others say the Ztube/pop charger do nothing just add sounds? Which is it?

LMT good OR Bad? -- Also heard the LMT is great, but others say it isn't because the 'longer straw' effect , a longer tube is bad?
I wish I could Talk to tuners and shops see who gained more -- Any DYNO comparisons?

OTHER MODS: I will be doing an intake in combination with a 5/16 plenum spacer and tune (& possible headers, but probably not). Looking for minimal gains before Forced induction years down the road.
I currently only have a K&N drop in and STILLEN exhaust. stock mids.

for INTAKES - Which would give me the best bang for the buck and gains ?

CURRENT THOUGHTS:
1-- Ztube/Popcharger $200 *** OR
2-- Stillen intake?
3-- big 4" LMT limp mode tuning Intake
4-- Admin admin tuning? z1 intake?
5-- or another one?


Pop charger
https://www.amazon.com/Jim-Wolf-P350.../dp/B007VSYNXY

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...pe-p-3929.html

http://www.administrationtuning.com/...DE-p/mafde.htm

https://www.nedautoparts.com/product...nt=11235362949

http://g35driver.com/forums/intake-e...p-charger.html



Last edited by ZFifty; 10-22-2016 at 10:21 AM.
ZFifty is offline  
Old 10-24-2016, 03:28 AM
  #2  
Bilazaurus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 137
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Many members here will tell you that it's pointless to change intake (ie short ram, cai) as it bears no results. I myself did quite a research about intake mods in 350Z and everything points to the same conclusion - no gain. I was hoping I could get several more HP but no.... I have dual exhaut, plenum spacer, modded plenum and test pipes. I decided to not waste money on intakes.
Bilazaurus is offline  
Old 10-26-2016, 03:37 PM
  #3  
Swaglife81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 163
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I have a 03 G while the Z tube looks perfect IMO opinion I don't think it's worth the price since one of my couplers is cracked. On a Z other than a revup airbox you are dead on with what you want.

I myself plan to run silicone tubes from TB to Maf. I will put a breather on the driver's side pcv and run a catch can on the other side. That why I cleaned up an extra tube and I don't want oil in my TB. I found some blowby inside my intake in between the pcv and TB. Probably $20 in silicone from Maf to TB.
Swaglife81 is offline  
Old 08-27-2018, 04:18 PM
  #4  
Conway_160
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pan Handle
Posts: 1,957
Thanked 108 Times in 96 Posts
Default

Ok time to bring up and old thread, but its been two years so there has to be some more insight on this.

im looking specifically for cammed car inputs.
Conway_160 is offline  
Old 08-27-2018, 05:50 PM
  #5  
dnash
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 80
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Conway_160 View Post
Ok time to bring up and old thread, but its been two years so there has to be some more insight on this.

im looking specifically for cammed car inputs.
Basically, the bigger the better...some good reading here: https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...4-intakes.html
dnash is online now  
Old 09-01-2018, 08:09 PM
  #6  
DarkZ03
Registered User
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Des Plaines
Posts: 501
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Default

If you ask me best is a modified stock box with a 3.5-4" hard pipe and a sealed duct going straight out the bumper. That's how many tuners in Japan handle it.
DarkZ03 is offline  
Old 09-07-2018, 06:36 AM
  #7  
jellofuel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 65
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Conway_160 View Post
Ok time to bring up and old thread, but its been two years so there has to be some more insight on this.

im looking specifically for cammed car inputs.
My DE is cammed with JWT C8 cams. I am currently running full bolt ons and have dyno tested just two intake configurations. I have not personally dyno'd the stock box against my Z1 intake, but the Z1 m-spec gives you the coldest air possible, with the filter placed in a high-pressure zone. IMO, this is ideal for the occasional track duty my z sees. Here's a quick walkthrough of my intake system. I have the Z1 m-spec race intake with a Z1 velocity stack.. the v-stack and piping came off Z1's 370z nismo before they turbo'd it.

jellofuel is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 10:04 AM
  #8  
Desert Z
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Desert Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Posts: 96
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Conway_160 View Post
Ok time to bring up and old thread, but its been two years so there has to be some more insight on this.

im looking specifically for cammed car inputs.
Well you see the thing is that with the oem DE upper intake plenum the neck is "the bottle neck" of the entire engine. Some people like Sasha (early setup) and Michael Gardner have cut out the upper neck from the plenum and replaced it with a bigger mouth that can house a bigger throttle body. Hopefully 80mm+. There are huge threads on this site about bigger throttle bodies (like the NWP 75mm) and the gains are marginal and vary greatly on the unmodified DE plenums. On the other hand, Michael Gardner is running a cammed DE and if memory serves me right is making around 330whp out of his DE. Look him up on youtube. In one of his videos you can see how he modified his plenum. The way that car sounds is the way ALL DEs should sound, that thing is a beast. But again it's all about the ENTIRE intake system, not just bigger intake, its plenum mouth, bigger TB, intake pipe to match TB and a vstack if you want at the end.

plenum work


I attached some examples of what people have done


for some reason my images wont upload. PM me if you want some examples of custom plenum work

Last edited by Desert Z; 09-10-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Desert Z is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 07:37 PM
  #9  
Conway_160
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pan Handle
Posts: 1,957
Thanked 108 Times in 96 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Desert Z View Post
Well you see the thing is that with the oem DE upper intake plenum the neck is "the bottle neck" of the entire engine. Some people like Sasha (early setup) and Michael Gardner have cut out the upper neck from the plenum and replaced it with a bigger mouth that can house a bigger throttle body. Hopefully 80mm+. There are huge threads on this site about bigger throttle bodies (like the NWP 75mm) and the gains are marginal and vary greatly on the unmodified DE plenums. On the other hand, Michael Gardner is running a cammed DE and if memory serves me right is making around 330whp out of his DE. Look him up on youtube. In one of his videos you can see how he modified his plenum. The way that car sounds is the way ALL DEs should sound, that thing is a beast. But again it's all about the ENTIRE intake system, not just bigger intake, its plenum mouth, bigger TB, intake pipe to match TB and a vstack if you want at the end.

plenum work


I attached some examples of what people have done


for some reason my images wont upload. PM me if you want some examples of custom plenum work
i followed that build and wanted to get a modified upper since i have a spare but he stopped modfing them
Conway_160 is offline  
Old 11-05-2018, 01:39 AM
  #10  
Liljedi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

stillen has shitty mounts, you only get 2 mounting points, and one you have to make yourself. ive heard they have room to move a bit since youre mounted to the TB and radiator and no where in the middle/ Go injen if anything, they also come with hydrocovers or some ****. since theyre located in front of the radiator so you dont go sucking water up on a rainy day(theyre not more/less restrictive, about the same). Z1 isnt carb legal for cali sadly, so if you want legal, still go injen. short ram just sucks up hot air even with a heat shield.
Liljedi is offline  
Old 01-02-2019, 08:22 AM
  #11  
Chinky4U
Registered User
 
Chinky4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Missouri
Posts: 27
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Conway_160 View Post
i followed that build and wanted to get a modified upper since i have a spare but he stopped modfing them
Same here man. I wanted that specialized manifold instead of having to drop a couple hundred for a kinetix velocity. However, the 5/16 MD spacer is working for me for now.
Chinky4U is offline  
Old 01-02-2019, 01:56 PM
  #12  
Conway_160
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pan Handle
Posts: 1,957
Thanked 108 Times in 96 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chinky4U View Post
Same here man. I wanted that specialized manifold instead of having to drop a couple hundred for a kinetix velocity. However, the 5/16 MD spacer is working for me for now.
If you look at my post comparing the 5/16 to the kinetix, i feel for me it was worth the price.
Conway_160 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: