Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

WOT Switch from manual mode to auto (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 10:05 PM
808sandblvke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOT Switch from manual mode to auto (5AT)

First off, this is my first post but i think i have this in the right place but feel feee to move it. also i've never seen this mentioned ANYWHERE so please don't just say "search" i have been for months. Anyways, ever since i bought my car (2008 Auto 350z Enthusiast) I have noticed the slight delay when flooring it which should be expected in an auto for it to downshift and everything, i know this. obviously though when using the manual mode the delay isn't there since you can downshift for whatever gear you want etc. i realize you can switch between auto and manual mode when you're driving and that will do no harm to the transmission, my question is can you switch during WOT. for example, i'm rolling at 15mph, switch to manual mode and downshift to 2nd. this would put my revs at about let's say 4k, i then floor it and switch to auto at about 6k BEFORE the shift. would this hurt any components of the car? and is it faster than just flooring it in auto and allowing for the delay? i've did it two or three times and it seems to not harm a thing but i wanted to make sure with some people who are more educated about Zs than me. in theory, this would mean no delay to downshift and the perfect shifts which would be perfect. am i wrong? i never see this get talked about. thanks in advance everyone!
Old 01-07-2017, 02:16 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

i've did it

Wow, just wow.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 05:45 AM
808sandblvke

Originally Posted by jhc
i've did it

Wow, just wow.

Wow, you're intelligent. hey did you know there are things you can do to your car that seem fine and will work but can actually hurt your car? who knew??!
Old 01-07-2017, 06:48 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 808sandblvke
Wow, you're intelligent. hey did you know there are things you can do to your car that seem fine and will work but can actually hurt your car? who knew??!
Keep doing that "thing" you are doing to your transmission. If it breaks on you, come back and inform the rest of the forum how "intelligent" of an idea it was.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:08 AM
808sandblvke

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Keep doing that "thing" you are doing to your transmission. If it breaks on you, come back and inform the rest of the forum how "intelligent" of an idea it was.
I don't see why any of you so highly educated people here can't give a straight forward answer. That's kind of the point of asking the question.. Would this cause any extra stress to the transmission. Simple question. If you know they answer, answer it. If you don't, don't. No excuse for being rude and arrogant.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:12 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

If I'm rude for telling you to report back if and when it breaks (because nobody in 14+ years since the car has been out has ever posted what you have just written) then so be it. Life goes on, you'll get over it.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:16 AM
808sandblvke

To my last point. If you don't know the answer or want to help don't comment. I'm sure there are many people who know if this would damage the transmission. Jesus. I don't want to argue with people, i just want a simple answer to a question. respect is nice too.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:58 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

First off, this is my first post but i think i have this in the right place but feel feee to move it. also i've never seen this mentioned ANYWHERE so please don't just say "search" i have been for months. Anyways, ever since i bought my car (2008 Auto 350z Enthusiast) I have noticed the slight delay when flooring it which should be expected in an auto for it to downshift and everything, i know this. obviously though when using the manual mode the delay isn't there since you can downshift for whatever gear you want etc. i realize you can switch between auto and manual mode when you're driving and that will do no harm to the transmission, my question is can you switch during WOT. for example, i'm rolling at 15mph, switch to manual mode and downshift to 2nd. this would put my revs at about let's say 4k, i then floor it and switch to auto at about 6k BEFORE the shift. would this hurt any components of the car? and is it faster than just flooring it in auto and allowing for the delay? i've did it two or three times and it seems to not harm a thing but i wanted to make sure with some people who are more educated about Zs than me. in theory, this would mean no delay to downshift and the perfect shifts which would be perfect. am i wrong? i never see this get talked about. thanks in advance everyone!
Sounds like a lot of work, and for what? Are you getting timed every place you go? If you want quicker shifts from your 5AT, consider installing a TransGo shift kit, or trade the car for a 6MT.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:18 AM
808sandblvke

Originally Posted by dcains
Sounds like a lot of work, and for what? Are you getting timed every place you go? If you want quicker shifts from your 5AT, consider installing a TransGo shift kit, or trade the car for a 6MT.
Yeah i do want to look into either a shift kit and here recently i've been looking for an HR 6MT to trade. Just finding a HR low miles 6MT is hard for some reason. Not too interested in a revup because of the oil consumption. But no lol i'm not saying this is a everyday technique or anything just for when it matters.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:27 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Yeah i do want to look into either a shift kit and here recently i've been looking for an HR 6MT to trade. Just finding a HR low miles 6MT is hard for some reason. Not too interested in a revup because of the oil consumption. But no lol i'm not saying this is a everyday technique or anything just for when it matters.
For when it matters why would you ever want to do this? Your post screams street racing and or doing stupid things on the street. Just wait for the down shift or be in the gear you want to be in before going WOT.

Stay at low throttle input until it finishes downshifting then go to WOT. The transmission isn't really meant to downshift at WOT. You are likely putting extra wear on the clutch pack.

If you are talking about WOT shift from manual to auto near redline when it is about to upshift that's just fine.

Last edited by rancor; 01-09-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:36 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

My 6mt never had any downshift issues..... maybe should've bought an 6mt instead
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 10:17 PM
808sandblvke

Originally Posted by rancor
For when it matters why would you ever want to do this? Your post screams street racing and or doing stupid things on the street. Just wait for the down shift or be in the gear you want to be in before going WOT.

Stay at low throttle input until it finishes downshifting then go to WOT. The transmission isn't really meant to downshift at WOT. You are likely putting extra wear on the clutch pack.

If you are talking about WOT shift from manual to auto near redline when it is about to upshift that's just fine.
Yeah i'm saying is it okay to switch from Manual to Auto while WOT. that's all.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:10 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Yeah i'm saying is it okay to switch from Manual to Auto while WOT. that's all.
It's fine, no different than leaving it in auto the whole time. If you switch too late you might hit the rev limiter that's about the only thing slightly bad about it.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 AM
808sandblvke

Originally Posted by rancor
It's fine, no different than leaving it in auto the whole time. If you switch too late you might hit the rev limiter that's about the only thing slightly bad about it.
yes, i will make sure i switch to auto at around 5-6k revs. thanks!
Old 01-13-2017, 04:46 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The TCM likely uses different lines pressures for manual mode that result in crisper shifts vs auto mode, which has smooth shifting as a priority. I don't think you will hurt anything shifting between manual and auto modes whenever you decide to but I do not see the point. Just stick to manual mode if you are drag racing. UpRev can adjust the line pressures via a single map but this is not full reverse engineered, and imo not as good as a Transgo kit, which raises line pressures to the solenoids through mechanical changes. Ideally if someone had full access to the TCM, it would be better than the TransGo kit, but sadly no one has.

For those saying the 6MT can shift faster than the 5AT that is just not true. Maybe a professional drag racer can shift consistently as fast, but not any of you! :-p