Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350z Engine, transmision and diff mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 03:40 AM
KIYOSHI Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 350z Engine, transmision and diff mounts

Does anyone know if there is a kit available that contains all the engine, transmission and diff mounts.

Also I have a knocking noise when I turn off my 2005 350z and I am assuming that either the engine, transmision or diff mounts need to be replaced.

Please help
Old 04-19-2017, 06:05 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

There is not a single kit that contains all the mounts or bushing parts you describe. They are available individually from a variety of sources (search).

But a "knocking noise" can come from several sources, not just worn mounts. Your assumptions can end up costing you money and not fix the problem.

Let's start with a better description of your Z (miles, mods) and the "knocking sound" (does it continue after the engine is shut off? what does it sound like? etc).
Old 04-19-2017, 07:38 AM
KIYOSHI Z

Originally Posted by dkmura
There is not a single kit that contains all the mounts or bushing parts you describe. They are available individually from a variety of sources (search).

But a "knocking noise" can come from several sources, not just worn mounts. Your assumptions can end up costing you money and not fix the problem.

Let's start with a better description of your Z (miles, mods) and the "knocking sound" (does it continue after the engine is shut off? what does it sound like? etc).
I bought it second hand with 102000 miles on the clock.
The car is stock standard.
The sound is like a metal knocking sound, it almost sounds like what ever is making the noise is moving quite a bit.
I have attached a video I just recorded for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jn1on3v77...%20PM.mov?dl=0
Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

From what I could make out on the video, you may have a bit of detonation at low RPM when you add a bit of throttle to it. When you turned off the car, I couldn't really hear anything outside of perhaps a broken or loose exhaust hanger or mount. Have you had it up in the air (on jackstands and a stable, level surface) where you can inspect it from below?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:51 PM
KIYOSHI Z

From what I could make out on the video, you may have a bit of detonation at low RPM when you add a bit of throttle to it. When you turned off the car, I couldn't really hear anything outside of perhaps a broken or loose exhaust hanger or mount. Have you had it up in the air (on jackstands and a stable, level surface) where you can inspect it from below?

I'm going to be lifting it tomorrow to have a proper look.
When you say detination at low RPM what does that mean exactly?

I had a fiesta st a year ago that had the exact knocking sound, I established then that it was a rear engine mount. That's why I have began to think it be the transmission mount this time.

Could that make any sense as the transmission mount would resist the engine and transmission from rocking back and forward?
Old 04-19-2017, 01:20 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Detonation is when some fuel/air is pre-ignited in the combustion chamber. Causes run from using the wrong fuel, spark plugs, buildup in the combustion chamber, too much ignition timing and a variety of other reasons. If left unchecked, it can severely damage an engine.

A Fiesta is quite different than a 350Z. FWD with a transverse engine, it can rock fore and aft in the car, whereas the Z's VQ35DE is mounted longitudinally and doesn't typically wear the same way.

Again- the best way to establish what is going on is to inspect the driveline underneath the car, on a lift or jackstands. Take a closer look and bring along someone experienced in inspecting RWD cars.

Last edited by dkmura; 04-19-2017 at 01:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KIYOSHI Z (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 01:31 PM
KIYOSHI Z

Detonation is when some fuel/air is pre-ignited in the combustion chamber. Causes run from using the wrong fuel, spark plugs, buildup in the combustion chamber, too much ignition timing and a variety of other reasons. If left unchecked, it can severely damage an engine.

A Fiesta is quite different than a 350Z. FWD with a transverse engine, it can rock fore and aft in the car, whereas the Z's VQ35DE is mounted longitudinally and doesn't typically wear the same way.

Again- the best way to establish what is going on is to inspect the driveline underneath the car, on a lift or jackstands. Take a closer look and bring along someone experienced in inspecting RWD cars.
My father in law is an expert 40 years building cars. He owned a panel beating shop.
Thanks for all the advise. I have learnt quite a bit from you in such a short period of time!
I'll post back tomorrow once I have had a look with him.
Thanks again man. I sure will be asking advise from you on the next mod or repair I do!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:14 AM
AnthonyJ350

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

My car had detonation down low at 3,000RPM (after I had finished all the bolt-ons). Got the UpRev tune done on a dyno at a shop and corrected everything.