Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch doesn't stall when in gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Mullen009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch doesn't stall when in gear

I tried posting this, so sorry for a dup thread

So a quick rundown, I've posted a forum here about the issue I was having and was trying to figure what exactly was wrong before taking it anywhere.

Car would be jittery off a stop, and if I was rolling had no problems shifting.

Tonight, I was coming from work. And came up on 2 other Zs. And against my better judgment I hit a second gear rolling jump with one of them. Got up in the rpm and tried to go to third and nothing, a brick wall. Clutch lost all pressure and wouldn't go into gear.
I had to come to a stop and press it a bunch and pressure slowly returned.
Got it into 4th and could get it rolling to turn left to try and go home. It went into first and started rolling after the light turned and when I went from first to second it had no movement. Engine revs but car won't move.
Decided to pull it over, and eventually found that if I just leave it in gear the car won't stall.
I can move the shifter between gears without pressing the clutch when it's stopped and running.

Luckily some dude came by asking for 5$ and I paid him to push me in his car back to my neighborhood.

once I got back I let it sit and cool down, and went back out and it still won't move when put into gear. There was no mechanical clinking or grinding during this push home in neutral.
When I go from gear to gear I can hear it moving in the tranny. Sounds normal, I have an assumption the clutch is shot. But I'd like to hear from others here.

I was planning to replace the slave, master, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and throw out bearing to just do a lot at once since I might need to drop the tranny anyway. Might as well take advantage of the whole thing.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:07 PM
Mullen009

Something to add, the clutch pedal was losing pressure and I'd have to pump it to bring that back.

However after this whole ordeal, the clutch pedal has all the pressure.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:38 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Mullen009
I was planning to replace the slave, master, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and throw out bearing to just do a lot at once since I might need to drop the tranny anyway. Might as well take advantage of the whole thing.
And now, you don't have a choice. If you have an HR car, don't use the OEM clutch slave cylunder - check out the options from ZSpeed.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Mullen009

Originally Posted by dcains
And now, you don't have a choice. If you have an HR car, don't use the OEM clutch slave cylunder - check out the options from ZSpeed.
It is an hr, Is there one you'd recommend?

Or parts in general/ brands you've used or heard are good?
I don't want anything too extreme since I won't be using the car on a track but don't want something off eBay either.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:26 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Is it an HR or do you have an external CSC?

You should be able to tell if the clutch is engaging and disengaging by the transmission chatter, which would go away when you clutch in. Dumping the clutch in neutral while idling is the best way to do this. If you do hear the chatter come and go as you dump the pedal you know the the hydraulics and clutch are doing their thing (although may still be toast), and you likely broke the transmission internally. If the input shaft is spinning, a working transmission will not allow you to row through the gears like that.

A friend lost his trans that way at the track, car would shift all gears while running without clutch. Hydraulics, flywheel and clutch were fine.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:54 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
It is an hr, Is there one you'd recommend?

Or parts in general/ brands you've used or heard are good?
I don't want anything too extreme since I won't be using the car on a track but don't want something off eBay either.
dcains already gave you the recommendation but here:

This is the tried and true CSC replacement (been around a long time):

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSp...SC-zsp2006.htm

Newer approach with good reviews as well. This one ELIMINATES the CSC and converts to external slave:

http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSp...e-ZSP-CMAK.htm
Old 08-06-2017, 12:03 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Mic has you covered, but I'd suggest calling ZSpeed and discussing your needs and budget to get the the correct parts.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:07 PM
Mullen009

Originally Posted by guitman32
Is it an HR or do you have an external CSC?

You should be able to tell if the clutch is engaging and disengaging by the transmission chatter, which would go away when you clutch in. Dumping the clutch in neutral while idling is the best way to do this. If you do hear the chatter come and go as you dump the pedal you know the the hydraulics and clutch are doing their thing (although may still be toast), and you likely broke the transmission internally. If the input shaft is spinning, a working transmission will not allow you to row through the gears like that.

A friend lost his trans that way at the track, car would shift all gears while running without clutch. Hydraulics, flywheel and clutch were fine.

It's an hr, 08. I went and checked and when i start the car and it's idling. I don't hear the chatter anymore when the pedal is disengaged.
I can't freely run through the gears but I'd say it's somewhat similar to when the car is shut off. There is resistance this morning and if I press the pedal then the Shifter moves normallly. But without pressing the pedal the low gears don't go in and the top gears will if I press through. But I haven't done that over and over.

Yet when I pull it into any gear and let the clutch out it doesn't stall or move.
But I can hear the mechanical sounds when pressing the shifter through 1-6.

Last edited by Mullen009; 08-06-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:43 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Starting to sound more like failing hydraulics caused you to fry the clutch. Difficult to diagnose over the computer.

Either way you have to pop the housing, the idea being you want to make sure the transmission is still good before you do.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:51 PM
Mullen009

Originally Posted by guitman32
Starting to sound more like failing hydraulics caused you to fry the clutch. Difficult to diagnose over the computer.

Either way you have to pop the housing, the idea being you want to make sure the transmission is still good before you do.
I appreciate the assistance.

I assumed it was the master or slave originally, the first issue was during a hot day I started not being able to immediately shift between gears. This eventually turned to a high rev in first to a pedal to the floor and brick wall trying to get into gear.
I changed the clutch fluid twice and it was black so I hoped it was just needing new fluid.
But then a week after the second change the car was feeling betterish, but then this happen.

What's "pop the housing"? I'm not very experienced with cars. But again I appreciate the help.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:30 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

I appreciate the assistance.

I assumed it was the master or slave originally, the first issue was during a hot day I started not being able to immediately shift between gears. This eventually turned to a high rev in first to a pedal to the floor and brick wall trying to get into gear.
I changed the clutch fluid twice and it was black so I hoped it was just needing new fluid.
But then a week after the second change the car was feeling betterish, but then this happen.

What's "pop the housing"? I'm not very experienced with cars. But again I appreciate the help.
you have to drop the trans to change out the csc, if it were me i would go ahead and change the clutch while in there so you dont have to drop it again

word of advice, do not replace the slave with oem... i did this and it went out again in less than a year
Old 08-07-2017, 04:03 AM
Mullen009

Originally Posted by travlee
you have to drop the trans to change out the csc, if it were me i would go ahead and change the clutch while in there so you dont have to drop it again

word of advice, do not replace the slave with oem... i did this and it went out again in less than a year
yea. I've seen online that you have to take the transmission out to change the CSC. I'm planning so far to do the CSC, master, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, throw out bearing and bushings. Might do some others after talking to zspeed today.
I'm looking to do the CSC that someone posted above. This will be the first aftermarket work I've done since paying the car off in December. It still has stock air boxes.
I'm gonna call a shop today and ask about pricing. I'm not sure if I should bring it to a shop or try and find someone local that could do it for me. I don't have the tools or knowledge to do it myself, unfortunately.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:05 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

first time i had a shop do it, it was $900.