Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Another one bites the dust!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 07:22 PM
infidsg35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another one bites the dust!!!

Well i got my autobody work done finally!!! So the same day I had to bring my car to Infiniti for an oil change and to check a few things. One of the things was the trans. So I got a call today saying I need a new trans ans clutch.. I was like WHAT!! That would be my 3rd trans replacement and 1st clutch replacement.

So how would i make myself feel better?? Hummm well I ordered a Nismo Clutch.. So now Ill have the JUN Flywheel and Nismo Clutch combo. I wanted to go with the nismo as i heard it was more conservative then the others. So what am I in for? I never changed the clutch b4 so dont know what the diffrence will feel like.

Iv seen some reviews and they all sound good. How much better is the Nismo compaired to stock? Doesnt it hold up to 400 Lbs of torque? Does it grab hard? Is it much harder to drive or launch when getting out of first? Does it make any extra noise? Is the clutch transition smooth? Is it harder to press the clutch in?

Thanx in advance..
Old 02-22-2004, 01:02 AM
nuttyprof

whats wrong with your transmission? why does yours need replacement so often? and clutch too? how many miles on your car? hmm, do you ride it a lot or peel out everywhere?
Old 02-22-2004, 07:55 AM
alex30327

Is your car an automatic or manual. There are several people on this board that are already on their 3rd tranny. Must have been a bad batch of tranny's, becuase Nissan is not hesitating in replacing them.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:04 AM
infidsg35

This will be my fourth trans including the original. This is the first clutch replacment tho. I dont peel out everywhere.. I drive hard at times and always like to take off a lil quick nothing this car cant handle.. I have 12k on y car now. I have a 6mt.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:16 AM
peptidbond

If this is your fourth tranny, I would seriously consider pursuing a lemon law case. What if this keeps happening after the warranty wears out? I understand that lots of people are getting new trannies, but I would not be accepting of it after the second one. My tolerance would go from accepting to down right pissed.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:48 AM
infidsg35

This will be my last one then I shall go car shopping!!!
Old 02-22-2004, 01:54 PM
nuttyprof

how can you tell if your trans is broken? btw, i hvae a g sedan. 6mt
Old 02-22-2004, 03:17 PM
infidsg35

cant shift into gear smoothly. Wierd noise comming from trans such as a ticking. Went to shift into 2nd and couldnt and grinded the gears. Happened about 5 times. These are some of the things that have happened to me..
Old 02-22-2004, 05:38 PM
khagen

Somtimes it is hard to get into first gear when I am down shifting. Is this normal?? Should I have my dealer check it out??
Old 02-22-2004, 06:36 PM
nuttyprof

i think the 1st gear thing is normal. you hvae to be going pretty slow for it to be smooth.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:16 PM
mofoz

you are realy not supposed to down shift into first. its to low. second should suffice.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:18 AM
khagen

thx
Old 02-26-2004, 05:55 PM
DynoDon

a few years ago we noticed the '99 Cobras were breaking input shafts in the trans. racing on drag radials. I know several guys who got really good at changing input shafts at the track during event weekends. We tried hardened input shafts, custom built shafts, polished and stress releived shafts, all to no avail. Tried changing to stronger Tremec trans (3650 instead of T45) and tried a different clutch setup. Still kept snapping input shafts in a car that made about 316-325 RWHP weighed 3450 with driver and had to run on drag radials at the track. It didn't add up to anyone.
Finally someone tried an aluminum (instead of the factory steel) flywheel. Never snapped another shaft.
I'm not yet familiur withe the architecture of the 6-speed that comes in the Z and it's Infini cousin or any of the weaknesses, and the problem here sounds like either a batch of bad tranny's or something somewhere else.

Some things to consider. Is the driveshaft properly balanced? Is the yoke on the driveshaft damaged in any way shape or form? Are there any bent bolts in the flywheel or where the crankshaft? Have all that stuff checked out.

Years ago while working at a Jeep dealer we had a customer with a Grand Cherokee who kept ruining trannys, every month for three months he came in with the same problme, a junked trans. We put in new trannys, new torque converters, we had Chrysler engineers looking at it. We eventually bought the Jeep back from the customer. Finalyl we found a bent bolt in the torque converter, we think it was causing enough of an imbalance or vibration or misalignment to lunch the tranny everytime. The bolts were replaced, the Jeep test driven by the dealership GM for two months. The problem never reocurred.

Just some suggestions before you have to go car shopping.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:16 PM
92hatchattack

as far as the first gear thing goes.... i have problems getting her t go back into first from a dead stop ..... and lately its been a little harder to get into 2nd, and my fith has grinded a few times in the past 2 months .... think i have a problem>?