Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

rebuilding DE help with cams

Old 06-01-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilding DE help with cams

okay im doing a full rebuild of my 03 de only things staying are the heads and the block, ive got about no idea about cams other than if you want more than 11mm lift then you have to replace pistons and the valves, right now I know I want the tomei brand and I would *like* to have the most aggressive cams possible, ill have Ferrea valves and springs and ill have WiseCo pistons, with that said how which of the procams can I handle? (intake 280 11.3 exhaust 280 11.0?) my apologies if I sound like a complete noob Ive got very little knowledge of cams.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:08 PM
dnash

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

What are your plans for the intake side of things?
Old 06-01-2018, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by dnash
What are your plans for the intake side of things?
ive got an AEM intake and its pulled all the way down in front of my radiator other than that ive got a skunk racing spacer
Old 06-02-2018, 10:26 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by 03350
(intake 280 11.3 exhaust 280 11.0?) my apologies if I sound like a complete noob Ive got very little knowledge of cams.
what do you plan to do with this car after all the work is done

it's ok to be a noob and ask questions but please do it in a respectful, humbling way, with no arrogance, and no attitude (NOT that you haven't already - you're good thus far) but new members come in and ask noob questions with attitudes and disrespect to long time members and they don't last long.

Once you know what you want to do with the car find someone else on the forum that has done what you are looking to do and mimic what they've done.

A few things to think about and some basic pricing:

What are you going to tune with ($1000 - $3500)?
What fuel system are you going to run ($1500 - $2000)?

What exhaust setup do you want to run($1000)?
You'll need more intake work to optimize a large cam setup ($500 - $1000)

Last edited by bealljk; 06-02-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:01 PM
dnash

Scroll to the bottom of the page and have a look at the dyno graphs.

http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-ca...82_cam_VQ.html

Bigger isn't always better. If you don't have the intake (and exhaust) flow to support the big cams, all you are doing is trading a cool idle for little and in some cases, less power. Personally, I think you might be better off with a set of 264s from any of the various manufacturers.

That said, it's your money and your car so if you think it will give you more enjoyment and street cred then by all means giv'er.

Last edited by dnash; 06-02-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:17 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by bealljk
what do you plan to do with this car after all the work is done

it's ok to be a noob and ask questions but please do it in a respectful, humbling way, with no arrogance, and no attitude (NOT that you haven't already - you're good thus far) but new members come in and ask noob questions with attitudes and disrespect to long time members and they don't last long.

Once you know what you want to do with the car find someone else on the forum that has done what you are looking to do and mimic what they've done.

A few things to think about and some basic pricing:

What are you going to tune with ($1000 - $3500)?
What fuel system are you going to run ($1500 - $2000)?

What exhaust setup do you want to run($1000)?
You'll need more intake work to optimize a large cam setup ($500 - $1000)
as of right now the only things im doing (because its all I have money for) is forged internals tomei from headers back and ferrea valves (ordering lvl3 z1 rebuild kit) my plan for the car at the very moment is built the best N/A I can before doing all my suspension work and after thats all done ill come back and turbo in some way (super charger or twin) what else will I need to do intake wise for me to be able to put the larger cams in now so it saves me having to do it when im going to FI, also thanks for not being a dick
Old 06-02-2018, 11:19 PM

Scroll to the bottom of the page and have a look at the dyno graphs.

http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-ca...82_cam_VQ.html

Bigger isn't always better. If you don't have the intake (and exhaust) flow to support the big cams, all you are doing is trading a cool idle for little and in some cases, less power. Personally, I think you might be better off with a set of 264s from any of the various manufacturers.

That said, it's your money and your car so if you think it will give you more enjoyment and street cred then by all means giv'er.
not looking for a cool idle or street cred, but I am looking to for the enjoyment, I will have the exhaust so thats covered but what can I do to get prepared intake wise, ( I currently have a AEM intake pulled down in front of my radiator and front bumper removed) In the long run I will be going FI so right now I want to get it completely ready for that
Old 06-03-2018, 12:30 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

In the long run I will be going FI so right now I want to get it completely ready for that
getting ready for FI may be out of your scope for this round of upgrades …

as of right now the only things im doing (because its all I have money for) is forged internals tomei from headers back and ferrea valves (ordering lvl3 z1 rebuild kit) my plan for the car at the very moment is built the best N/A I can before doing all my suspension work and after thats all done ill come back and turbo in some way (super charger or twin) what else will I need to do intake wise for me to be able to put the larger cams in now so it saves me having to do it when going to FI, also thanks for not being a dick
This is sorta a weird place to be … you're looking to do the deepest/hardest mods while the block is out...completely logical

My feeling is you are taking two step forward and one step back. You're not going to see much, if any gains:
A. without a tune … is your plan to rely on the original Nissan OEM ecu & tune??

B. rely on the OEM MAF / OEM Throttle body, and the upgraded AEM intake as your intake track??

I don't know how this is going to work? If at all … can the OEM ecu handle a different cam profile?

If money is an issue (and nothing wrong with that) go with the upgraded pistons and go with OEM cams … spend your next chunk of money on your exhaust work ($1000), plenum work($250), and then on an Uprev tune (+/- $500) … this will yield +/-30hp.

when the time comes to go supercharger/turbo, then do your cams, valves/springs, and any other internals work required. You'll have your intake done, you'll have a tuning solution, your exhaust will be ready and you can focus on FI.

thanks for not being a dick
my new years resolution was to be less of a dick on my350z.com …

Last edited by bealljk; 06-03-2018 at 12:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
Luci51 (03-19-2024), terrasmak (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 04:13 AM
dnash

What compression are you aiming for with the forged piston? I would look into a 3.5" intake (a tune is needed for this) at minimum and probably a Kinetix Velocity intake manifold on the intake side. At this point, you are likely going to need bigger injectors as well but you can find used GTR injectors for pretty cheap.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:54 AM

Smile

getting ready for FI may be out of your scope for this round of upgrades …

This is sorta a weird place to be … you're looking to do the deepest/hardest mods while the block is out...completely logical

My feeling is you are taking two step forward and one step back. You're not going to see much, if any gains:
A. without a tune … is your plan to rely on the original Nissan OEM ecu & tune??

B. rely on the OEM MAF / OEM Throttle body, and the upgraded AEM intake as your intake track??

I don't know how this is going to work? If at all … can the OEM ecu handle a different cam profile?

If money is an issue (and nothing wrong with that) go with the upgraded pistons and go with OEM cams … spend your next chunk of money on your exhaust work ($1000), plenum work($250), and then on an Uprev tune (+/- $500) … this will yield +/-30hp.

when the time comes to go supercharger/turbo, then do your cams, valves/springs, and any other internals work required. You'll have your intake done, you'll have a tuning solution, your exhaust will be ready and you can focus on FI.

my new years resolution was to be less of a dick on my350z.com …
I completely had forgotten tune side of things, ive definitely gotta do some research on what ecu I want to upgrade to and what tuner id like to take the car to but yes ill be having a new ECU tune and a new throttle body as for the MAF I didn't put thought into sensor side of things (ima dumb dumb) and as for my plenum should I just order a kinetix one to come with the rest of my parts? I don't think they cost but like 400 bucks or something (don't kill me if im wrong)
(again thanks for not being a dick this is some of the most helpful information ive gotten using my350z)

Last edited by 03350; 06-03-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:59 AM

What compression are you aiming for with the forged piston? I would look into a 3.5" intake (a tune is needed for this) at minimum and probably a Kinetix Velocity intake manifold on the intake side. At this point, you are likely going to need bigger injectors as well but you can find used GTR injectors for pretty cheap.
11.0 as I don't have enough money to go FI right now I figured that would be better, if im wrong I can definitely have them switched over to 8.8 no big deal as for my intake mani I got no problem ordering one especially if its anyway prettier than the stock nasty one lol as for the injectors I figured I was going to need bigger ones but will I also need fuel rails to help support them or am I just being noob (thanks for the reply)
Old 06-03-2018, 11:02 AM

just looked at intakes they are about a G not a big deal the car is already going to be down for a couple weeks won't be a big deal to get one in while she's down
Old 06-03-2018, 12:22 PM
vegasanthony

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

11.0 as I don't have enough money to go FI right now I figured that would be better, if im wrong I can definitely have them switched over to 8.8 no big deal as for my intake mani I got no problem ordering one especially if its anyway prettier than the stock nasty one lol as for the injectors I figured I was going to need bigger ones but will I also need fuel rails to help support them or am I just being noob (thanks for the reply)
just looked at intakes they are about a G not a big deal the car is already going to be down for a couple weeks won't be a big deal to get one in while she's down
This Thread totally sucks without pictures

let's see a picture of this work you're doing here bud
Old 06-03-2018, 03:22 PM
dnash

JE makes a 10:1 FSR piston that might work ok with forced induction. It’s a touch less than stock but it might save you some momey/headaches when it comes time for forced induction. Have you given any thought to the oil pump?
Old 06-03-2018, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by vegasanthony
This Thread totally sucks without pictures

let's see a picture of this work you're doing here bud
gonna start the work around mid July all talks right now car is in Tennessee im in Arizona im ordering parts and having them meet the car here, im trying to get down my exact list right now its z1 lvl 3 rebuild kit ferrea valve kit tomei y and pipe cams (this thread is to figure out what specs of cams I should buy) intake throttle body injectors and ecu tune

Last edited by 03350; 06-03-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:10 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I completely had forgotten tune side of things, ive definitely gotta do some research on what ecu I want to upgrade to and what tuner id like to take the car to but yes ill be having a new ECU tune and a new throttle body as for the MAF I didn't put thought into sensor side of things (ima dumb dumb) and as for my plenum should I just order a kinetix one to come with the rest of my parts? I don't think they cost but like 400 bucks or something (don't kill me if im wrong)
(again thanks for not being a dick this is some of the most helpful information ive gotten using my350z)
that's alright, that's why were here … look into Uprev … $500 to $1000 is going to be your best bet...and it'll take you into FI. Uprev is the best all inclusive solution for the lowest cost that doesn't skimp on the features you need. Additionally, plenty of support available.

Look into Motordyne's spacer and lower plenum modifications - those are going to be your best bang-for-your-buck. I'm not a fan of the Kinetix stuff.

You don't be a dick and we wont be dicks - why this isn't clear to every new member is beyond me … everyone was a beginner at some point in time. You'll have plenty of opportunities to help someone along the way...You owe each one of us a beer, and I like bud light lime...

If it was me, I'd go slightly lower than 11:1 if FI is your ultimate destination...something in the 9:1 to 10:1...if NA is your ultimate destination than go with an 11.

oil pump?
def something to consider when you go FI …

and throw some pictures up of the car...

Last edited by bealljk; 06-03-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:02 PM

that's alright, that's why were here … look into Uprev … $500 to $1000 is going to be your best bet...and it'll take you into FI. Uprev is the best all inclusive solution for the lowest cost that doesn't skimp on the features you need. Additionally, plenty of support available.

Look into Motordyne's spacer and lower plenum modifications - those are going to be your best bang-for-your-buck. I'm not a fan of the Kinetix stuff.

You don't be a dick and we wont be dicks - why this isn't clear to every new member is beyond me … everyone was a beginner at some point in time. You'll have plenty of opportunities to help someone along the way...You owe each one of us a beer, and I like bud light lime...

If it was me, I'd go slightly lower than 11:1 if FI is your ultimate destination...something in the 9:1 to 10:1...if NA is your ultimate destination than go with an 11.

def something to consider when you go FI …

and throw some pictures up of the car...

im gonna go with the 8.8 compression so that I will be able to have my car more ready for twin turbos after suspension,
ill definitely get the motor dyne lower plenum, will I need to get a new upper as well or will stock do just fine
and im gonna for sure buy uprev standard and upgrade to tuner when I turbo
Theres a pic of her, right now its in Tennessee and it will be delivered to me in Arizona the first week of July, im aiming to have the parts here by the time it gets here but im taking a little longer than I thought I would getting the complete list together
Attached Thumbnails rebuilding DE help with cams-img_0083-2.jpg  
Old 06-06-2018, 05:53 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

im gonna go with the 8.8 compression
No-one goes that low compression unless you're going very high hp(which you're not)
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 09:30 AM
vegasanthony

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
No-one goes that low compression unless you're going very high hp(which you're not)
What he said
Old 06-06-2018, 01:05 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

+1 ... get into the 9 point something to 1 ...