Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Supercharger or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 04:32 AM
Smokiestsea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger or turbo?

I got an automatic 350z 05 idk if i can use turbo on it so I just want to know what things do i need to change so if install a supercharger or turbo it wont break nothing in the car.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:15 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,108 Likes on 6,563 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokiestsea
I got an automatic 350z 05 idk if i can use turbo on it so I just want to know what things do i need to change so if install a supercharger or turbo it wont break nothing in the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by travlee:
Smokiestsea (10-08-2019), Zvick91 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 06:43 AM
Smokiestsea

Originally Posted by travlee
Hahaha come on I just asked
Anyway i just want to know what would be better for am automatic and if it was possible to go turbo with it
Old 10-08-2019, 07:35 AM
travlee
Master

that is my go to video.... yes it is possible, but do as much research as you can. budget is going to be higher than you expect
The following users liked this post:
Smokiestsea (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:36 AM
travlee
Master

how many miles are on your car?
Smokiestsea (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 08:21 AM
LexD

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

Read. Keep reading. Read it all.

When you think you have a question that is not answered in that thread, then-- AND ONLY then, feel free to post your questions.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexD:
bealljk (10-25-2019), Smokiestsea (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 03:32 PM
Smokiestsea

Originally Posted by travlee
how many miles are on your car?
It has a lot 240,000 but the trans is quite new tho only 40,000
Old 10-08-2019, 03:35 PM
Smokiestsea

Originally Posted by LexD
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

Read. Keep reading. Read it all.

When you think you have a question that is not answered in that thread, then-- AND ONLY then, feel free to post your questions.
I didnt even new that existed I was doing my search and didnt found much thanks for it tho
Old 10-08-2019, 05:40 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,272 Likes on 2,329 Posts

240k miles and forced induction? Hmmmm.... figure on going through the whole motor before adding a blower (SC, TC, same). Motor build plus FI hardware plus tune plus all other supporting mods (suspension, brakes, etc), figure on at least twice what the car costs - say car cost $5k, $10k for build. Conservatively. Assumption: DIY. If farming out to a shop, triple. Not a great plan, IMO. But your money, your car.

Start with a leakdown test on the motor and see what that tells you about the condition of what you have in there.

Last edited by MicVelo; 10-08-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Smokiestsea (10-25-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 09:39 PM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

NOT TO MENTION, depending on your power goal, you may need to beef up that transmission before you start throwing additional power at it otherwise you risk shredding right through that transmission.

Your FI method does not matter as the Z is fine with either.
Smokiestsea (10-25-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 05:30 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 451 Likes on 366 Posts

Do a single rear-mount, run 5 psi, 12:1 RRFPR. Cost you under $500
Smokiestsea (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 07:30 AM
Smokiestsea

Originally Posted by MicVelo
240k miles and forced induction? Hmmmm.... figure on going through the whole motor before adding a blower (SC, TC, same). Motor build plus FI hardware plus tune plus all other supporting mods (suspension, brakes, etc), figure on at least twice what the car costs - say car cost $5k, $10k for build. Conservatively. Assumption: DIY. If farming out to a shop, triple. Not a great plan, IMO. But your money, your car.

Start with a leakdown test on the motor and see what that tells you about the condition of what you have in there.
I am sorry for awsering this late (my job is being awful thanks to christmas) well i actually got the car for 1k because the exhaust system was bad and the owner didnt want it to fix it so i will be paying like the actual price of the car and a little extra but idk i though a supercharger would be more simple and had to make less changes waste less money but I am not really sure
Old 10-25-2019, 07:31 AM
Smokiestsea

Originally Posted by 813_350Z
NOT TO MENTION, depending on your power goal, you may need to beef up that transmission before you start throwing additional power at it otherwise you risk shredding right through that transmission.

Your FI method does not matter as the Z is fine with either.
I dont have a crazy power goal maybe 340+ i am aiming at 500 or nothing that crazy like that
Old 10-25-2019, 07:39 AM
Smokiestsea

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Do a single rear-mount, run 5 psi, 12:1 RRFPR. Cost you under $500
Doesn't rear turbos add a lot of lag?
I dont know much about them being honest
Old 10-25-2019, 08:25 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I am sorry for awsering this late (my job is being awful thanks to christmas) well i actually got the car for 1k because the exhaust system was bad and the owner didnt want it to fix it so i will be paying like the actual price of the car and a little extra but idk i though a supercharger would be more simple and had to make less changes waste less money but I am not really sure
YES, a supercharger is cheaper and less hassle to install.

But the point is moot if the bottom end isn't going to handle boost, period. Academic at that point. You use the terms "waste less money". Trying to save money blowing (adding FI) an engine you have no idea the condition of especially with those kind of miles, is a TOTAL waste of time and money. Not to mention, you haven't figured in supporting mods. As was mentioned, read the FI section FAQ post, then see if you still think its a good idea.

Don't be one of those people who believe the hype without the research and knowledge to do it RIGHT.

Last edited by MicVelo; 10-25-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:30 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 451 Likes on 366 Posts

Doesn't rear turbos add a lot of lag?
I dont know much about them being honest
Dude, you have no experience with turbo's/superchargers. There is no plug and play system for 500hp. . .
Lag is based on turbo sizing/CFM of motor.

This is a dreamer thread and it will never happen. Harsh, but true
Old 10-25-2019, 08:45 AM
Smokiestsea

YES, a supercharger is cheaper and less hassle to install.

But the point is moot if the bottom end isn't going to handle boost, period. Academic at that point. You use the terms "waste less money". Trying to save money blowing (adding FI) an engine you have no idea the condition of especially with those kind of miles, is a TOTAL waste of time and money. Not to mention, you haven't figured in supporting mods. As was mentioned, read the FI section FAQ post, then see if you still think its a good idea.

Don't be one of those people who believe the hype without the research and knowledge to do it RIGHT.
I did check the motor like a year ago and it was actually in pretty good condition maybe the past owner changed it or something because it actually looked way too good for those miles and the thing is i dont wanna save 2 or 3 dollars I just want the most convinient one, i will go and check the motor once more before doing anything with it of course i dont wanna ruin the car for saving some money but if doing the whole supercharger is cheaper then a turbo including mods, install and everything, even if its less power i would go that way.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:34 AM
Smokiestsea

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Dude, you have no experience with turbo's/superchargers. There is no plug and play system for 500hp. . .
Lag is based on turbo sizing/CFM of motor.

This is a dreamer thread and it will never happen. Harsh, but true
I will do one of the 2 supercharger or turbo but like I said I have no idea how rear turbo work, i just though it was gonna have lag because its in the far back
Old 10-25-2019, 10:02 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I will do one of the 2 supercharger or turbo but like I said I have no idea how rear turbo work, i just though it was gonna have lag because its in the far back
OK, that's fine. Don't forget to factor in supporting mods.

When building for more power, many forget the all important "supporting mods." Not just engine fail safes like extra cooling, tune, etc. but all important upgrades like BRAKES, tires, suspension, driving skills, to keep the "newly fast" car on the road where it belongs.

<Off soapbox>

Smokiestsea (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 10:13 AM
Smokiestsea

OK, that's fine. Don't forget to factor in supporting mods.

When building for more power, many forget the all important "supporting mods." Not just engine fail safes like extra cooling, tune, etc. but all important upgrades like BRAKES, tires, suspension, driving skills, to keep the "newly fast" car on the road where it belongs.

<Off soapbox>
I bought a suspension kit, I was looking at the brakes kits on amazon to buy one of those too, and tires i got some basic ones fron walmart but they are quite new so maybe I will change those last and it has a new rad with a extra small cooler in it wich i will need to change anyway for better cooling and for tunning I got a mechanic close by that made his name around here from tuning so I will go with him for that

Quick Reply: Supercharger or turbo?