Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

A series of Camshaft related codes and now P0300

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 06:01 PM
templars83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A series of Camshaft related codes and now P0300

2003 Touring 350Z - no cats - HKS Hi-Power style 3" dual exhaust - AAM competition test pipes - JWT, pop charger -and some other nice things bought 2nd hand from someone that kept good records and did reasonable maintenance, always used Royal Purple, etc., etc., and etc..

Order codes occurred - different readings separated by space.

P0340 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR BANK 1
P0345 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR BANK 2

P0462 FUEL LEVEL SENSOR (A) CIRCUIT LOW
P0011 (A) CAMSHAFT POSITION - TIMING OVER ADVANCED OR SYSTEM PERFORMANCE.

P0300 RANDOM MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE DETECED
P1111 INTAKE VALVE TIMING CONTROL PERFORMANCE.

P306 CYLINDER 6 MISFIRE DETECTED
P0011 AGAIN

P0306 AGAIN
P0462 AGAIN
P0011 AGAIN

P0300 AGAIN
P0462 AGAIN
P0011 AGAIN

For 2 years however, I've been dealing with check engine camshaft related codes, and an occasional issue that effected driving. Otherwise, the car has been running very well, getting good MPG, and as strong as the day I bought it.
I'll just list the codes in the order I've read them at the bottom, as time has gone by, and the big difference moment happened Saturday.

About 2 years ago, I finally got a check engine light. I ran scanner and got these codes:
P0340 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR BANK 1
P0345 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR BANK 2

Researched and found out that these codes were over 2 camshaft sensors that were recalled. It had been more than 10 years of the recall, so I had to buy replacements myself from Rockauto (which may have been a mistake)
For awhile, the codes cleared up though eventually one came back. I reasoned maybe the sensor was bad out the box, and I should have used OEM sensors. As for performance, before I replaced them, the car would occasionally go into a bucking bronco type fit and the vlc and slp lights, would come on. I had read this was one of the problems that these recalled sensors could cause. This issue seems to have gone away after I replaced the sensors. The car ran flawlessly during this time.

A month ago, decided to try to determine what is going on with the check engine light, in order to get it removed once and for all.
This time I got codes:
P0462 FUEL LEVEL SENSOR (A) CIRCUIT LOW
P0011 (A) CAMSHAFT POSITION - TIMING OVER ADVANCED OR SYSTEM PERFORMANCE. I researched this and pointed me towards valve timing control solenoid valve. I put the problem on the back burner. The car ran flawlessly during this time.

Friday night car was running flawlessly as it always has, even with check engine light on. On Saturday, the car suddenly from the very start, labored and was clearly misfiring/not running on all 6 cylinders. ,

I ran codes and only get the same:

P0011 AGAIN

I decided to take the solenoids off and cleaned them with parts cleaner. The screens didn't seem particularly clogged or having sludge. I didn't have any jumper wires with me to test the plunger.
I put all back together and almost instantly the scanner reads::

P0300 RANDOM MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE DETECED
P1111 INTAKE VALVE TIMING CONTROL PERFORMANCE.

I dumped some seafoam in the tank, and a few ounces into the crankcase. 30 minutes later I get:
P306 CYLINDER 6 MISFIRE DETECTED
P0011 AGAIN

I turn the car off, let it sit, clear codes, and then restarted it. Now I get:
P0306 AGAIN
P0462 AGAIN
P011 AGAIN

And I run the scanner one more time after another 20 minute run and I get:
P0300 AGAIN
P0462 AGAIN
P0011 AGAIN

The car is running horribly though slightly better than yesterday. The mgp info is bouncing a bit all over the place from 10 - 34.5 mpg. I am aware of the P0300 and the myriad of potential causes. If anyone has anything similar occur in a related manner, I would appreciate your feedback. I'm going to go through the normal steps but any related insight would be greatly appreciated. In the past the CEL was only aggravating as the car ran great. This latest P0300 issue is a whole different story.
On the way to just getting it home. the CEL started blinking. I read somewhere that indicates misfiring. It's parked till I can get to the bottom of this - coil - injector - timing off - that fuel sensor - whatever.

Craig

Last edited by templars83; 10-04-2020 at 06:23 PM. Reason: ADDITIONAL INFO
Old 10-05-2020, 06:47 PM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

how many miles you have on the spark-plugs?
The following users liked this post:
templars83 (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 09:47 PM
templars83

I've had the car for 10,000 miles and no knowledge about previous recent plug changes. I suppose I could change the plugs but all these camshaft codes and misfiring codes?
Old 10-06-2020, 04:06 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

1) I wouldn't have dumped seafoam nor waited 2 years lol. However, since you have no clue of the history of the car and when the previous owner serviced the car ( if at all ) I would start with 6 new NGK plugs. There is a rubber seal on the plug that connects to the coilpacks.. make sure this hasn't popped off as it will make a bad connection and missfire. Double check and make sure they are seated correctly.

2) Replace the Cam sensors with Hitachi cam sensors. Make sure the Plug that connects to the cam sensors is plugged all the way and not broken as it will slide back when driving. Double check the wires and the seal.

3) Replace the PCV valve.

4) The bottom 02 Sensors.. when bad, they tend to throw a p0300 ( as I just had ).

5) I noticed that you have no cats.. are you running non-foulers?

6) I'd stay away from Royal Purple.

Just my 2c. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
jv350z (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 10:22 AM
templars83

Thank you for the reply.
I just bought new Nissan OEM sensors off ebay to replaced the others. Intended on getting new plugs, Car was driving just fine all this time, albeit with that one particular code, P0011 (A) CAMSHAFT POSITION - TIMING OVER ADVANCED OR SYSTEM PERFORMANCE. Car was used sparingly the last 1 1/2 years. I decided to address it fearing it could lead to other issues. It was mere coincidence that as I was addressing it, the car now starts pulling new codes, and is running poorly with misfires for the first time since I''ve owned it.

I did not check for non- foulers. I assumed they were there and have had no issues.

I had reasonable records of oil changes, every mod done to the car, and a complete Carfax. What's wrong with Royal Purple? He had always used it, so I just stuck with the same brand.

Thank you
Old 10-21-2020, 06:11 PM
templars83

Default Still P0300 and still running bad

New NGK Iridium plugs, checked coil packs visually (none blistered) and with meter - all at 1.62 and the same. I replaced the camshaft sensors with OEM Nissan sensors and still the car is misfiring and running on 4 or so cylinders. I popped off the coil pack on number 6 (I had gotten a p)306 before) and I do not see much difference in engine running.

Fuel injector?