Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Throttle Body Wiring Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 07:52 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Throttle Body Wiring Bracket

Diagnosed my limp mode issue as bad voltage in the throttle connector on the throttle body. Bought the part the retailer said would fit, but it doesn't. Confirmed the part with my mechanic. Too small to fit over the outlet on the throttle body. Had to wait 3 months to get the part so I'm hoping I'm just missing something here. Anyone able to help me out?

Old 03-05-2022, 08:00 AM
Ponyryd

Received 244 Likes on 208 Posts

So a shop diagnosed it and you got the parts and are replacing the connector?
It’s clearly wrong, but the terminals may be correct, so if it was a pin-tension issue, you can usually un-pin the terminals and increase the tension with a pick, the re-assemble. Or if you want to actually change the terminals, un-pin them one by one, and change the terminals but use the same connector.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:12 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponyryd
So a shop diagnosed it and you got the parts and are replacing the connector?
It’s clearly wrong, but the terminals may be correct, so if it was a pin-tension issue, you can usually un-pin the terminals and increase the tension with a pick, the re-assemble. Or if you want to actually change the terminals, un-pin them one by one, and change the terminals but use the same connector.
I replaced everything else that could have been the problem, so i asked if the shop could test the electrical and get me a part number, which they did. Confirmed it with the retailer when I bought the part. Really thought I crossed all my t's. I don't know specifically what aspect of the connector is bad so I was just hoping to rewire the while thing.

I'll try what you mentioned and see if I can get it to work. Unfamiliar with replacing the connector, but I'll try to figure it out. Was hoping maybe someone else had done it before.
Old 03-05-2022, 03:41 PM
Ponyryd

Received 244 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Flick Montana
I replaced everything else that could have been the problem, so i asked if the shop could test the electrical and get me a part number, which they did. Confirmed it with the retailer when I bought the part. Really thought I crossed all my t's. I don't know specifically what aspect of the connector is bad so I was just hoping to rewire the while thing.

I'll try what you mentioned and see if I can get it to work. Unfamiliar with replacing the connector, but I'll try to figure it out. Was hoping maybe someone else had done it before.
I’ll try to spell it out for you as best as I can, try to follow along as best you can, it’s kinda hard to explain by typing.
1-grab a small flat blade screwdriver and pry up on the green retainer with the holes in it for the terminals (gold/silver part the wire connects to). Usually if you pry one side it will move up a bit, then you can prey the other side and give one final pry to get it all the way off.
2-get a small flashlight and look straight down at the areas surrounding the terminals, you will see a small tab one one side of each one, get yourself a t-pin or a straight pick and pry the tab away from the terminal. At which time you should be able to pull the wire down out the bottom of the connector-do not pull hard, it should easily move.
3-if you managed to get a terminal out of the new connector, do the same 2 steps to the old connector.
4-if you got the terminal out of the old connector, try to slide the new terminal into the old connector, and make sure it clicks into place and locks.
These are the most important steps, once completed you should be able to handle the rest if you can solder, or if you have the proper wire connectors. I can try to guide you through those steps as well if needed.

Last edited by Ponyryd; 03-05-2022 at 03:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Flick Montana (03-08-2022)