Decreasing power

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 04:13 AM
Angry Ale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decreasing power

So, I know it sounds weird.. but here is some context:

*_*_*_*_*_*_* Start Of Context *_*_*_*_*_*_*

My 350z was the first and only drift car I had so far, I learned and got used to drift on it, a lot of modifications were also done to it to be more "driftable" every time during the last year (solid bushings, welded diff, double calipers setup + hydro handbrake, bucket seats, and a fully programmable ECU thinking in a turbo for the future).

I live at around 1000 Feet Above Sea Level (FASL) and 2 weeks ago there was an event in a different city, felt comfortable with the car and my ability, and sent it to participate on it.
The bigest mystake made was to underestimate the altitude of the city where the event was happening, which was ~7000 FASL, of course I knew I would lose some power, but didn't know it would the that much.....
I went from 298hp (dyno measured) to something that seemed to me like 200hp or less (seat/pants measured).
There were issues with the organization of the event, and practices were pretty limited (couple of runs), there was were I found the car would not perform as I was expecting.

Next hours were just stress and frustration as you may imagine..

Just after the event, I started thinking how to get more power (tsututututu sounds rounding my head)...
But then, watching the recordings, I found there were other NA cars with much less power which did not bad at all at the event, and I think I found the answer...
I realized I learned to drift in a perfect (beginners) drift car, in a great environment, I modified the car to be easiest to drift every time, and got used to it. My driving style doesn't involve clutch kicks (apart of starting) to maintain or extend drift, but I'm used to use car weight and throttle control on transitions... at 7000 FASL, car was not able to lose grip at 3000rpm without a clutch kick (but it easily does at 1000 FASL)...

The more assertive answer I found after 2 weeks thinking is: "learn to drive with less power".
This way I keep competing in the NA category, and can get the opportunity to learn other drifting techniques.

*_*_*_*_*_*_* End Of Context *_*_*_*_*_*_*

I spent a lot in the event happening some weeks ago, so, I would prefer not to pay a tuner to decrease the power on my car (would feel...... weird)
So, since I have a programmable ECU, here is the question:
- What's the best way to simulate 0.75 atm in the car?

I'm not sure if an air flow restriction would work or I should be playing with the max/min values in the TPS (from the ECU)
- What would you do?
Old 06-14-2024, 05:22 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 448 Likes on 364 Posts

This is dumb, but a much smaller diameter intake might do the trick. I wouldn't restrict the exhaust
Old 06-14-2024, 08:37 AM
Angry Ale

I was thinking the same, to put a kind of thin metal plate in front of the air filter to cover half of it or so...
Old 06-14-2024, 01:24 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

air box limitations are what racing bodies institute in many cases to limit and even out power.
Just pulling timing is a bad idea in itself.
reduce the air flow itself and you will reduce the overall power, as the elevation simply reduced your airflow by way of reducing air density.

google "nismo gt300 z33 airbox", hp academy has an article about it.

Last edited by bmccann101; 06-14-2024 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 07:46 PM
Angry Ale

Originally Posted by bmccann101
air box limitations are what racing bodies institute in many cases to limit and even out power.
Just pulling timing is a bad idea in itself.
reduce the air flow itself and you will reduce the overall power, as the elevation simply reduced your airflow by way of reducing air density.

google "nismo gt300 z33 airbox", hp academy has an article about it.
Seems like a solid way to solve this.. but also expensive :3