Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Seems clutch slipping with month old parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2024 | 03:44 PM
Ashfall

Default Seems clutch slipping with month old parts

Hey guys, I'm kinda at a loss.

I recently took my manual transmission (Touring) 350z to the shop to fix the clutch slipping. They replaced:
  • Transmission (Z1 Motorsports CD009)
  • Clutch (OEM)
  • Flywheel (Z1)(The shop installed my z1 flywheel in the relief hole last time, which caused some issues when I got it back initially with the new parts but it ran well after they fixed it)
  • Master & Slave Cylinder (OEM),
  • Crankshaft position sensor (I put that in, OEM)
  • Timing Chain, & Camshaft Position Sensors (The last two were free because of the improper flywheel install because they thought that was causing issues)

I have had it less than a month and have driven it daily. I don't drift it, burnouts, or clutch dumps. (It's too expensive since I don't have my own place or time to work on my car that much.) I will accelerate quickly, but I try to shift smoothly between gears even with quick acceleration. I also downshift if I need speed and revmatch, but I don't try to push it to its max speed or full pedal when accelerating. I'm confused about why the gear seems to be slipping. I can feel it slip, and I'm really at a loss. Is there anything I can check or tighten with my clutch? I have tried to look up stuff online but I keep turning up with not helpful answers or recommendations to replace the parts I already have.

I don't have any oil or fluid leaks from the engine or any parts. The only thought I've had is that maybe somehow oil got in the bell housing, but I don't know enough to know how to check.
I notice the slipping the most between 1-3 gear, Ive looked at gear rpm ratio charts and mine seems close but slightly off (more off when accerating). When I start pressing on the pedal to accelerate in second gear is when I notice it the most. On hills, if I hold the pedal steady, the mph still drops slowly despite not releasing the pedal. Im pretty sure I can also hear it slipping when I accelerate (yeehaw)

Last edited by Ashfall; 10-26-2024 at 03:50 PM.
Old Yesterday | 04:48 AM
Aeneas137

so your clutch is slipping, but the shop replaced almost everything except the clutch? why would you replace the whole transmission and everything around it because the clutch is slipping? or did you mean to say that one of the gears was slipping?
Old Yesterday | 05:09 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Ashfall
Hey guys, I'm kinda at a loss.

I recently took my manual transmission (Touring) 350z to the shop to fix the clutch slipping. They replaced:
  • Transmission (Z1 Motorsports CD009)
  • Clutch (OEM)
  • Flywheel (Z1)(The shop installed my z1 flywheel in the relief hole last time, which caused some issues when I got it back initially with the new parts but it ran well after they fixed it)
  • Master & Slave Cylinder (OEM),
  • Crankshaft position sensor (I put that in, OEM)
  • Timing Chain, & Camshaft Position Sensors (The last two were free because of the improper flywheel install because they thought that was causing issues)
Originally Posted by Aeneas137
so your clutch is slipping, but the shop replaced almost everything except the clutch? why would you replace the whole transmission and everything around it because the clutch is slipping? or did you mean to say that one of the gears was slipping?
This is going to sound obvious but.... just take it back to the shop who did the work. They got thousands out of you. Have them actually fix the original problem.
Old Yesterday | 06:38 AM
Ashfall

Originally Posted by Aeneas137
I did say that they replaced my clutch but with an OEM one I'm pretty sure (maybe an exedy idr)
Old Yesterday | 06:39 AM
Ashfall

Originally Posted by MicVelo
This is going to sound obvious but.... just take it back to the shop who did the work. They got thousands out of you. Have them actually fix the original problem.
Yeahhh that's what I planned since all the parts should be under warranty, but I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas before I do.