Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Oem Air Box Removal Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 07:34 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oem Air Box Removal Help

Okay, I started the day off well by receiving my JWT Pop charger, now here is where the frustration begins.

I attempt to remove the stock air box and I cannot quite get to all the 10MM bolts that holds the mass air flow sensor tube in place. I tilt the box a little to remove the last screw and I tear one of the ends off. GRRR

The dealer wants $488 for the entire OEM box with MAF. WTF?

Anyway, my question is can I superglue this back on?

Here is a picture. I am so pissed right now, because I need the car today.
Attached Thumbnails Oem Air Box Removal Help-imgp1771.jpg  
Old 02-28-2004, 08:58 AM
Hupperware

Ooof... it looks like you didn't break the seal on it. I would glue it and put some gasket sealer on there so it won't leak. That will at least give you time to get a new MAF from a junkyard or different retailer.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:18 AM
mofoz

you should just superglue it back on. The tube part isnt damged so it wont leak. Its just to hold it in place.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:30 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally posted by mofoz
you should just superglue it back on. The tube part isnt damaged so it wont leak. Its just to hold it in place.
Well, I superglued it, and let it dry about 10 minutes and it bolted on really tight. No air leakage that I could see.

Man, I love this JWT Popcharger, changes the sound especially over 4500 while doing WOT.

I was hoping for a little bit more, but thats what I get for seeing this on a Z with a Nismo exhaust.

NISMO exhaust, here i come.

Thanks for all the help folks.

I couldn't believe the dealer wanted $488 for the OEM airbox, tube, and MAF sensor.

He said it was all one piece. They also want $1100 for a NISMO exhaust and 4 hours labor to install. I just had to laugh.

One last question, can you use a different MAF sensor or doesn't it have to be the same one that you have in the car now?

Also, anyone else know of a good Nissan Dealer in Colorado who will sell and install a NISMO exhaust?

I can possibly install it where I live. I have access to a lift.

Anyone have the instructions for the install?

Last edited by zand02max; 02-28-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:32 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two words . . . . .Duct Tape.

But seriously . . .I have been meaning to find out the price of one of these tubes anyway. Remember the expensive part is the actual MAF sensor that simply screws out with two screws. I bet they sell just the MAF housing if you can get the service dept to help you out.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It's definitely not "one piece" and they should be able to get them for you separately. Sounds like a rip off to me.

Also, you don't need a dealer to install your exhaust. I had my Borla installed at a local Midas shop for $80.00.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:02 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
It's definitely not "one piece" and they should be able to get them for you separately. Sounds like a rip off to me.

Also, you don't need a dealer to install your exhaust. I had my Borla installed at a local Midas shop for $80.00.
Wow, $80, thats cheap, especially a Borla (which is harder to install and has more pieces).

I will definately check with a local muffler shop, however, I might try and do it myself, since its juts a bolt on job. Wonder if anyone has step by step directions on the Nismo exhaust installation?

Now, my next step is actully getting the exhaust.

Anyone know how cheap I can get a new NISMO exhaust shipped to Colorado, 80916?
Old 02-28-2004, 07:06 PM
scubasteve

Just install the exhaust yourself. It's rewarding to do all these mods to your own vehicle. It really helps when something just doesn't seem right and the problem is easier for you to diagnise rather than go all the way to the place where you had it installed. I have had one thing done outside and that was the welding/fabrication of my NISMO exhaust hanger to permanently prevent the rattling b/w midpipe and crossmember. I heard the noise and immediately knew what the problem was and was better informed as to what to do about it when I took it to the exhaust shop. Just my .02 though!!