Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Cams Or Fi????

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 12:42 PM
redline350ZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cams Or Fi????

well its time for me to make a big decision here cams or FI???? i want to know the opinion of getting 268 cams with forged internal springs and retainers.... a new plenum, crawford headers and a ECU reflash or simular to properly tune.... this above i guess would cost about 3700 without labor.... or should i get a supercharger which would cost about 5000???? i would like to go NA for right now but im not sure about drivability isues that might come up with a larger cam???? anyone want to share their thoughts???? all opinions are appreciated..
Old 03-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Dom

...was thinking about the same thing.
I decited to go the aggressive NA road.
I am only thinking which cams to get. Also I am hoping for the
A'pex PowerFC to come out.

Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 03-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Zrated

After seeing the VERY disappointing dynos from people who have installed cams and tons of other stuff for ridiculous amounts of cash, I would only consider FI if your looking for any sort of satisfaction in the power department. 30 WHP for 6K is ridiculous IMO.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:39 PM
REDZED

Its not a small job to change the cams (from the service manual ) and there's quite a bit of work setting the valve bucket clearance afterwards ( and the buckets arn't cheap ). I decided to give the cams a miss as its just so much work.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:10 PM
zzzya

After installation fees you will probably be looking at very similar costs in the end but much better gains with FI over N/A. I however still made the N/A decision because I think FI is not nearly as reliable at this point, because of tuning issues and having access to shops that can properly tune, and I would prefer to let others be the guinea pigs with their engines. Plus, I have not gone full blown N/A with cams and ECU yet because I wanted some nicer wheels and suspension and so on to improve upon other aspects of the car besides shear power. If you have the money, FI can be done and be done right. I am hoping that FI will simply become more competitive with more tuners and lower prices as time goes on and in the meantime N/A improvements are keeping me happy. In the end its really personal preference.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:36 PM
ranger5oh

Go FI FOR SURE, I mean, if you are looking for performance, FI is waaay more bang for the buck. Although, prolly for the same price you could go N/A with a real high power N20 kit??? Although, I like power I dont have to recharge all the time.

Get the Greddy TT, best SHI$ on the market.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:00 PM
TheBigShow

poor man's best plan - nitrous
rich man's best plan - tt

i am one of the before mentioned poor men.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:11 AM
Tim'sZ

I am fortunate to have dealer sponsorship and full support as long as I stick with Nismo parts, I have every Nismo performance option less Headers and Flywheel and don't consider oil cooler and trans cooler a performance upgrade unless you are road racing. To date my rwhp is 268 so a gain of 33 hp from stock and this is without any ECU upgrades and if I was paying retail I would have spent roughly $5,500 in strictly engine mods. I will say that I have been very happy with the set-up because the car is very driveable less a traction issue through 1st and 2nd gear but this a fun problem, not counting the awsome agressive idle it has from camshafts. Also 99% of my parts are covered under factory warranty. FI is great so this is not a slam against it but my brother has a BMW M-Roadster that he turbocharged and finally a year later he has got the tuning set-up and he is pushing 330 rwhp, now the problem is, he has had 11" rims made so he can run 315's on the rear and still has no traction through 2nd gear. My point is this, 268 to 280 rwhp is no slouch and you have no driveability issues so it is really up to you what you are looking for, EITHER WAY IS NOT CHEAP!!!!!!