Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350Z TT or new Vette Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 04:24 PM
dduck44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Z, but you can bet I'll be on the waiting list for the new Z06, the only thing that will stop me is putting it off for a convertible Z06.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:50 PM
jng1226

Z06, no question. You can always re-do the interior for relatively little, and it is the only deficient part about the car. Seriously, performance to beat a 360 Modena at 1/4 price with reliability and warranty - do you really have to ask? OEM Magnesium wheels as an option - mmmm tasty.

If I could have afforded a Z06, that's what I would have bought. Although for $28K, my 2003 DB Track is SOOO satisfying.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:00 PM
was wesman

Originally posted by JST4FN
Tough one here. I'm a Ford guy by heart, but my 03 Cobra had to many problems and hense the switch to the Z. To me the Z is a better built car and for my size it fits me perfectly. The only advantage the Cobra had is power, so far I have not missed it( it was also modified and made over 550 hp).

Now your situation is a bit different because the Z06 will have alot of the features a Z will, like good breaks, handling and a low center of gravity. I'm not a Vette fan but this will be a awesome car with Viper like acceleration at a cheaper price. This car will be reliable and will not have the headaches of forced induction(I still love it though).

That being said I love forced induction and the Z with twin turbos has got to be fun. You'll get the added power the Z needs and all the fine points the Z already has. Unfortuantely it will not always be as reliable as the vette without forced induction as there are always little issues that will creep up on you with forced induction.

Tough call but I'd take the Z06 (actually I wouldn't because I don't like chevys). It will be a beast ,you'll get good gas mileage and the reliability of NA power.

Dang I can't believe I told someone to buy a Vette.
Thanks Mike

noticed you have a Lightning....ever been to the Talon website ? If not you should check it out sometime. I thought I was the only guy that had a 350 and a L

--wes
Old 03-13-2004, 05:52 PM
AParshall04

If I could spend $60k on a car, i would buy an imported Skyline R34. Now that is a real car. Also if you are waiting a few years, the new supra is coming out soon and so is the new US version Skyline. Both cars are supposed to be faster than the Ferrari 360 modena and i heard the supra is supposed to be around $60k (it might be released under the new scion name) but the new skyline V8 might be slightly more pricey.

If i could have a z06 or tricked out TTd 350z i think i would take the Z because a Z06 looks just like every other corvette out there, and plus i just love the sound of a nice blow off valve.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:55 PM
fvoelling

Thx everybody for the feedback! To be honest, I didn't expect such overwhelming support for the Z06, given where this was posted and what most of us own. It is going to be a beast in terms of performance and driveability, that's for sure.

One poster though perhaps hit the nail on the head when he chose the TT Z because "it is special". Even though more and more Zs are starting to show up on the road, it is still rarer than the combined lot of Vettes out there (yes, they vary somewhat in design but most Vettes still look very much alike). And it was ultimately its beauty that made us buy the car in the first place, not performance (I could have had a slightly used Z06 for the same price, or for that matter modded my old M3 into a 5sec car for less). And a Z with a SC or TT can keep up with the best of them in everything but straight-line acceleration (I'm sure most of you read or heard about the modded Z winning the shootout in a mag recently against a bunch of hot-rod cars incl. a 1000hp Viper).

So I think I'll enjoy the Z for the next couple of years, do some mods (not sure yet about TT/SC), and take another look at the situation once the new Z06 has been out for a bit, and maybe also take a close look at the Supra then (hadn't heard about that one coming out here again, but always loved both the looks and performance potential of that car - I have a small video clip of a TT Supra going the 1/4m in less than 10 secs trapped at 158mph or so - WOW).

Have to disagree about the Skyline, though. As much as I like Nissan products, and I'm sure it has great performance, the looks do absolutely nothing for me. The designers of the Z must have been on vacation when Nissan cooked up the Skyline.

Anyway, I think my first mod will be a bigger wing (but not too big, don't wanna turn it into a riceburner). Time to search the archives.

Frank
Old 03-13-2004, 07:42 PM
ElvishasaZ

For the money of a stock Z06 verses a moded and TT Z I think its pretty easy to say get the vette it will be a better performing car dollar for dollar. Is it just another Z06 out there? sure it is but its a WELL MADE SPORTS Car no doubt about it. If you want to be somewhat different adding a TT to the Z helps but hey if this is the best selling sports car and with 30,000 of them floating around they too lose there novelty.

I would get the current Z06 if I wanted the best car for 45K or so.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:43 PM
berferd

I'm confused as to why your comparing the Z06 to a 350z. They are not even in the same class. 500hp vs. 287hp? Give me a break....no comparison.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Rushguy

I thought the Z06 put down about 340 to the wheels? I too plan on just souping up my Z over the next two years and seeing whats on the horizon then. When I think of 50-60k dollar cars the Vette just wouldn't be in the scouting report for me.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:11 PM
12SecZ

I am oh so close to taking the 04 Z06 leap, I drive by them daily and want it bad and would keep it stock w/ warranty.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:28 PM
fluidz

I would never get a vette, even the slightly restyled vette. Corvettes are everywhere...........no uniqueness about a vette AT ALL........do you want to haul as* and get all the thumbs up, nice car man, holy sh*it man, or just haul as*?

Last edited by fluidz; 03-13-2004 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:46 PM
ppak3

Default my 2 cents

get the z, but do a rb26dett transplant...then you will hit 700 whp like that one guy said
Old 03-13-2004, 09:24 PM
fvoelling

Originally posted by 12SecZ
I am oh so close to taking the 04 Z06 leap, I drive by them daily and want it bad and would keep it stock w/ warranty.
You sure you want the '04 Z06? Not that it's a bad performer, here's some info from www.z06vette.com:
"Our testing confirms that the Z06 goes from 0 to 60 mph in a strong 4.59 seconds and rips through the quarter-mile in 12.81 seconds at 111.19 mph."

Now this isn't that much better than the TT 350Z from what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong). But, it's the 2006 Z06 (I think, maybe 2005+1/2) that'll have the new design and, supposedly, 500hp. If I were you, I'd hold out for that one and enjoy your already fast Z (even though it's an auto in the interim.

Frank
Old 03-14-2004, 08:38 AM
little_rod

Well, it is hard to compare the Z to the Vette, when the Vette costs twice as much, as many have said. Now, with the proper mods, the ZTT will run with the Z06. Just a matter of what you want. Like some have said, the Z will get more common a few years from now with the amount of them being sold, but with the Vettes looking rather similar over the past several years of their existence, I have a tendency to believe that they are even more common. My head hardly turns at all at a Vette.

I really think you buy a vette for the performance of the car, which is outstanding. But if I were actually going to purchase something for $60K, it would be more rare and exotic than a vette. Building up a Z to a TT is special, and I would consider that. You could end up spending $60K on the Z, which I wouldn't do. I have put a self-emposed limit on my Z spending for this very reason.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:51 AM
12SecZ

do you want to haul as* and get all the thumbs up, nice car man, holy sh*it man, or just haul as*?
Just haul azz lol....
Old 03-14-2004, 09:47 AM
fluidz

Originally posted by 12SecZ
Just haul azz lol....
.....hey 12sec I get my vortech tomorrow, i need to talk to you, and if you have any time man i sure could use your help.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:56 AM
12SecZ

I'm off tomorow and my wife will be at work, shoot me a PM for my cell number or questions. Love my 3 day weekends
Old 03-14-2004, 10:15 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by berferd
I'm confused as to why your comparing the Z06 to a 350z. They are not even in the same class. 500hp vs. 287hp? Give me a break....no comparison.
I'm confused as to why you didn't read the first post.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:23 AM
GotBoost

Originally posted by fluidz
I would never get a vette, even the slightly restyled vette. Corvettes are everywhere...........no uniqueness about a vette AT ALL........do you want to haul as* and get all the thumbs up, nice car man, holy sh*it man, or just haul as*?

and like there aren't twice as many 350Z's on the road.

Old 03-14-2004, 10:39 AM
OCG35Coupe

Originally posted by GotBoost

and like there aren't twice as many 350Z's on the road.

There arent.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:35 PM
12SecZ

If you had a Z06 it woud be *yours* and therefore just like any other car you have ever owned you would view it differently.

If I had a 500HP Z06 I don't care if there were 5 million of them because one of them would be *MINE* and it would do 11's with slicks bone stock. Speed it's addicting.

Quick Reply: 350Z TT or new Vette Z06?