Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Good Borla TD gains.. Dropped my ETs..

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 05:05 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Good Borla TD gains.. Dropped my ETs..

I finally got to do a few runs this weekend on my G-Timer 2 since I got my Borla TD exhaust. The G-Timer is awesome for comparing runs if they are done under the same conditions, very accurate.

I do my runs in the same spot every time where its nearly perfectly flat and its calibrated perfectly since I park every morning in a garage and thats where I calibrate it so I know I am on flat, level ground.

Here's the numbers.

Best pre-borla (out of about 15 runs):
1/4 = 13.86@101.3
0-60= 5.22
60' = 2.08

With Borla TD (best of 5 runs):
1/4 = 13.60@103
0-60= 5.05
60' = 2.07

Those were recorded under the same calibration, and nearly the same temps at the same location. I am very happy with the results and I can't wait for the track to open to get some slips. I am hoping to run consistant high 13's and my goal is to crack below a 13.8
Old 03-15-2004, 07:05 AM
jng1226

Thank you for sharing your results. This sounds very interesting, as you sound very methodical in trying to keep a scientific, objective comparison. Have you had your car dynoed at each step? It would be interesting to see the HP/ET comparison. And also the power curves pre/post mods to see the effect on ETs.

Please keep updating.

Regards,

Jeffrey
Old 03-15-2004, 07:33 AM
orhanz33

nice times... i could never trust a g-timer, but they seem to be pretty accurate... how are you launching?
Old 03-15-2004, 09:21 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Well the G-Timer gives you a peak HP number during your run provided you have inputed the curb weight during the run, Pre-exhaust it was around 235 and after I have seen as high as 244. I have never dyno'd my car but I might do it this summer.

Before with stock tires I was launching around 2000-2200 RPMs and somewhat feathering the clutch out. Now That I got Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires I can launch much more aggressivly, so far doing nearly a clutch dump at 2500 and letting the LSD work seems to be working, I am still expermenting..

Also once I have compared the Gtimer to my actually run at the 1/4 track.. Time slip was 14.11, G-Timer got 14.08 and the mph was only about .4 mph off.. Pretty damn close..

Last edited by Daytona Blue Z in Bo; 03-15-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:32 AM
fluidz

go to the strip and use the x-mas tree.........I have a real hard time beleiving 7rwhp dropped ur et's over 2 tenths. Just my 2 cents
Old 03-16-2004, 05:12 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Originally posted by fluidz
go to the strip and use the x-mas tree.........I have a real hard time beleiving 7rwhp dropped ur et's over 2 tenths. Just my 2 cents
Well the reading it pretty off right now, thats why I have not menctioned it until asked. And first of all 244 - 235 = 9, not 7. And also the weight set into the G-Timer needs to be increased by about 75lbs to compensate for my stereo equipment and other stuff in my trunk I added recently, the weight is low so the HP rating should be a bit higher. Also another part of the gain would be my new grippier tires.

Its always funny to see how people try to discredit things on forums from any angle possible. You should go out and buy one and see foryourself how accurate they are WHEN USED IN A THOUGHT OUT AND CONTROLLED WAY.

My best at the 1/4 before was 13.98 and best trap was 100.86, that was with only 10k miles and just an intake. This year with my new stickier tires, the exhaust and grounding kit and about 8k more miles my goal is a best of between 13.7-13.8 around 102mph and hoping for consistant high 13's.

Last edited by Daytona Blue Z in Bo; 03-16-2004 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:25 AM
Conceyted

Were any of these times done at the track?
Old 03-16-2004, 05:34 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Originally posted by Conceyted
Were any of these times done at the track?
The point of this post was to show the ET drop after the Borla TD was installed, comparing runs under same conditions is the strong point of these devices. The times in the origional post AS STATED were done with the G-Timer 2 to show the gains, before and after. The tracks been closed in my area since Oct.

All the times in my sigs becides the one that says "with G-Timer" (last line) are my 1\4 track times with only a CAI, 10k miles and stock tires. I will have new slips on April 7th which is opening day for street nights at the track. I can't wait.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:55 AM
Conceyted

Originally posted by Daytona Blue Z in Bo
The point of this post was to show the ET drop after the Borla TD was installed, comparing runs under same conditions is the strong point of these devices. The times in the origional post AS STATED were done with the G-Timer 2 to show the gains, before and after. The tracks been closed in my area since Oct.

All the times in my sigs becides the one that says "with G-Timer" (last line) are my 1\4 track times with only a CAI, 10k miles and stock tires. I will have new slips on April 7th which is opening day for street nights at the track. I can't wait.
awesome
Old 03-16-2004, 08:49 AM
mp3car

Blue Z in BO: Not that it would matter for comparison between your runs, but.... did you remember to count your wieght? the 160-220 Lbs is a good bit. Using the formulas for estimating HP from trap speed, 100Lbs can make the a difference in the result around 7hp. The best way is to weigh your car with you in it, and also, with about the same amount of gas you usually run with (if you try to run with it with 1/4 full) Gas weighs about 6Lbs/Gal.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Mr. Motion

Originally posted by Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Are these results with the factory cats, or did you change those as well?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Originally posted by mp3car
Blue Z in BO: Not that it would matter for comparison between your runs, but.... did you remember to count your wieght? the 160-220 Lbs is a good bit. Using the formulas for estimating HP from trap speed, 100Lbs can make the a difference in the result around 7hp. The best way is to weigh your car with you in it, and also, with about the same amount of gas you usually run with (if you try to run with it with 1/4 full) Gas weighs about 6Lbs/Gal.
I havn't checked but I am pretty sure the inputted weight is 3375 right now. I weight 185 and I have about 50lbs of stereo stuff and things in my trunk (I usually take all of that out when I go to the track). I think right now it should be more along the lines of around 3450+

When the car's weight is listed as "curb weight", does that include a full tank of gas? My Perf model Z is listed at 3217lbs. I did that 13.6@103 run with about 3/4's a tank.

3217(car)+185(me)+50(stuff)+\-(gas)= about 3450. Not sure if the curb weight includes a full tank so I don't know if I should be subtracting weight for gas or adding weight to the 3450.

Mr. Motion, I still have the stock cats.. My next mods will be high flows and a crank pulley, but thats not gonna happen for awhile.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:16 PM
orhanz33

Originally posted by durobred
how are you launching?
Old 03-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Originally posted by durobred
How are you launching
Before with stock tires I was launching around 2000-2200 RPMs and somewhat feathering the clutch out just enough to allow a bit of slipage, very tricky. Now That I got Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires I can launch much more aggressivly, so far doing nearly a clutch dump at 2500 and letting the LSD work seems to be working well, I am still expermenting and my aim is getting below 2.0. With a perfect under 2.0 launch i'm sure i'll be able to hit a 13.7ish at the track.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:47 PM
mp3car

curb weight is suppose to be fully loaded with fuel, oil, coolant, etc, but without cargo or passengers.

GVWR, gross vehicle weight rating, is the amount you'll find on the door jamb, which i think is the wieght fully loaded with the maximum cargo (however they come up with that number) and then like 150Lbs or something for each passenger the vehicle can carry. I think sometimes on door jamb labels they break it up into front and rear maximum weights, gawr or something, i looked it up a while ago but don't have the time to read on it right now... im sure there's plenty of info out there....
Old 03-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Cool thats good to know.. I am gonna try and input an accurate weight and do a few runs and see what kind of a HP result I get.