Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Car wants to DIE when idling!! Whats going on ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Webiteks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wants to DIE when idling!! Whats going on ?

HELP HELP HELP!

First off, here are my mods:
NISMO Exhaust
Random Technology HighFlow Cats
JWT Pop Charger

My exhaust and Cats have been installed 4k miles ago. My JWT Pop Charger was installed 500 miles ago.

When driving around town in "DRIVE" (I have the 5AT) and come to a stop after at least 5minutes of driving, my car is idling at 500RPMS, then drops down to 150 - 200RPMS periodically!! It acts as if it is going to die!

I was told by a few people that I need to bump up my idle to 1k RPMS and this will solve the problem. Is this true? If so, how come I need to do this??
Old 03-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Ricky
Banned

Hmm.. Go back to your pop charger. Check to see there is no leaks or holes anywhere first.

Second, I'd try to take off the negative terminal to the battery for about 5-7 minutes, then put it back on.

If those 2 things fail, I'd put the stock intake back on, and make use of your warrenty
Old 03-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Webiteks

I checked the pop charger. . . . I just disconnected the negative battery cable. I will have to drive it this evening and see if that did it.

If that didn't do it. it bothers me that so many other people have the POP Charger and not this problem. I would hate to go back to the stock intake.

Would it be a possibility that it could be the RT Cats?

I hope someone else had this problem and finds this thread :-)
Old 03-17-2004, 02:12 PM
DeeZee

my idol would drop 100-200 rpms sometimes after i installed my injen exhaust, and aem intake. it wasnt like it was goint to stall, but like it was trying to hard to run. i had my dealer bump my idol rpms up 100, and not a 1 problem since. thet said it was 100 off. so i wasnt crazy. its at about 800 now. perfect is 780 from what my tech told me. if you havent owned your car longer than a year, ITS FREE!! they call it an adjustment for the first year. after that it will cost you. $70 is what you should expect. if your dealer is cool/mod friendly, you should be alright. hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:14 PM
DeeZee

im also running test pipes, in case your wondering?
Old 03-17-2004, 02:15 PM
DeeZee

my idol would drop 100-200 rpms sometimes after i installed my injen exhaust and aem intake. it wasnt like it was goint to stall, but like it was trying to hard to run. i had my dealer bump my idol rpms up 100, and not a 1 problem since. thet said it was 100 off. so i wasnt crazy. its at about 800 now. perfect is 780 from what my tech told me. if you havent owned your car longer than a year ITS FREE!! they call it an adjustment for the first year. after that it will coast you. $70 is what you should expect. if your dealer is cool/mod friendly, you should be alright. hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Webiteks

Sounds like that's what I need! my idle is exactly what yours sounds like it was doing.

I will have a talk with a dealer tommorow to see what they can do. I will tell them I would like it to be 800rpms instead of 500 :-)
Old 03-17-2004, 02:32 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked at your MAF sensor? Maybe it might be dirty?
Old 03-17-2004, 02:45 PM
vfr350

I second the dirty MAF Sensor, or some oil from the pop-charger on it.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Webiteks

Funny story actually.. . . .

Before my POP Charger, I had a K&N Typhoon Intake. SAME THING started happening with my intake. . . it got to the point to where my car actually wouldn't stay started because it would die as soon as you press on the gas. yada, yada, yada. . . I can go more into details if anyone is interested in it. . .

But....I took it to Nissan, and I went back to my STOCK intake system with a NEW MAF, then I couldn't handle not having an intake on my Z - so I bought the popcharger....

Does anyone know how you clean the MAF? On this last expensive situation, I just bought a new one completely. I pulled out the MAF and looked at it, and there isn't anything to clean. One side is silver casing, and the other is a black casing. Anyone know how to clean this? I would give it a shot.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:28 PM
vfr350

Try any electric contact cleaner that leaves no residue, just spray and let dry, I actually think someone did a step by step on this somewhere here.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:36 PM
fdao

Webitek,

VandyZ had a thread on how to clean the MAF. It involves using electronic cleaning fluid. Do a search under "MAF cleaning"
Old 03-17-2004, 04:40 PM
Webiteks

I hear this is something you don't want to do becuase it's easy to damage the MAF and then i'll have even bigger problems!

Anyone have any alternatives ? I'm just curious if it may even just be something else.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Webiteks

I looked up his "How To"

I can definatly try it out. Does anyone know where to find the same ELECTRONIC PARTS CLEANER that he used? I want to make sure I get the RIGHT stuff. These MAF sensors ARE NOT CHEAP
Old 03-17-2004, 06:19 PM
alex30327

Take off your pop charger, and your problems will be solved!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Webiteks

It was doing this when I had my stock intake on during the period between my K&N Typhoon and the JWT Pop Charger, but not as often. . . . so I know it's not all in the intake.

There are hundreds of other Z owners there with the same thing I have with no problems.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:34 PM
johnsZ

check for an oxygen leak, or a broken wire or poor contact on the oxygen sensors. you should have had a warning light on
if the oxygen sensor got damaged in the installation??
your symptoms seem like running rich- check the exhaust for strong gas smell
if the MAF is messed up, as some above think, then this is a bit trickier. might be a warranty issue on the maf- these are pricy things for most cars. the maf should correct for the flow with the modifications that you made, unless you got some metal shavings or perhaps a piece of junk in the tubes when the modifications were being made- blocking the maf will mess up the air detection, so the mix will be screwed up.
good luck
Old 03-17-2004, 07:37 PM
vfr350

you might also notice bad mpg if the sensor is gummed up. On my past vehicles, If/when the maf was dirty or had something on it, It would randomly want to die, not all the time. My $0.02
Old 03-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Webiteks

I did the install on both of the Intakes i've had. Nothing blocked the MAF, and it looks as clean as new. I am having my car taken into a local shop tommorow to look at my TEIN suspension and put on my new wheels that are arriving. I will mention this and see if they can check anything.

Thank you everyone for all of your help. Keep the ideas coming if you can!

Oh! and if there IS a strong gas smell coming from the exhaust, what will this mean ?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:30 PM
FairladyZ

Sounds like you damaged your maf of both installs.

Quick Reply: Car wants to DIE when idling!! Whats going on ?