Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Improving mileage ( how? )

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 01:47 PM
bosotheclown2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving mileage ( how? )

I know this might sound kind of strange for a 350Z owner but I have a '03 350Z Touring edition that I use for my everyday car and never race it for any reason ( just too old I guess ).

I would like to know how in this day-n-age of ever resizing gas prices how I might improve the gas mileage of my 350Z Touring edition. I only drive about 20 miles per day, about 1/2 city and 1/2 highway each way back and forth to work. As such I only get about 17-18 miles per gallon and do not step on except getting on the express way.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:57 PM
peptidbond

Easy. I had the same problem and then I read the manual.

For everyday driving, the manual says to keep the RPMs below 2000 to save gas.

I started to shift before 2000 everytime and my average in city mileage went from 18.5mpg to 21.2 for a full tank.

Hope this helps. Did me.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:05 PM
mofoz

it boggles my mind that you guys can shift before at least 3500rpm. The sound of the nismo exhaust just calls me.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also try to shift at low rpm's to get better mpg, but it so hard!
Old 03-19-2004, 10:48 PM
808_FairladyZ

2000 RPM's! Shifting below 3000 RPM's reminds me of what my old Honda Civic used to feel like... just kidding. Anyways, i have a hard time not ridding my RPM's up to 4000 and that's when i'm just cruzin. I don't rag on my car but shifting at 2000 RPM's would just be to... boring...lol.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:01 AM
FritzMan

I found my car responds pretty much the same regardless of driving habit (within reason of course). I can baby the car, or take advantage of the torque and redline a couple time a day and I get only a 25-50km difference per tank.

I noticed the pulley and airfilter have given me approximately and additional 25km per tank. I'm running 600km/tank right now. I'm looking forward to seeing how much the plenum and high flow cat help. Typically, gaining HP without tinkering directly with the fuel system results in improved efficiency.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:28 AM
joust75

Default Re: Improving mileage ( how? )

Originally posted by bosotheclown2002
I know this might sound kind of strange for a 350Z owner but I have a '03 350Z Touring edition that I use for my everyday car and never race it for any reason ( just too old I guess ).

I would like to know how in this day-n-age of ever resizing gas prices how I might improve the gas mileage of my 350Z Touring edition. I only drive about 20 miles per day, about 1/2 city and 1/2 highway each way back and forth to work. As such I only get about 17-18 miles per gallon and do not step on except getting on the express way.

Make pee pee into your gas tank every time you fill up. Urine has a high oxygen content and disolves gasoline impurities, so this should help you some.
If this does not help, tell mom and dad to increase your allowance. then you can buy more gas.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:56 PM
toothlessracer

i use my car as a daily driver 35 each way= 70 miles a day. I used to get about 22 mpg. Then I started to see if i could get better milage with different type of gas (brand) Mobil, Chevron, Shell etc. I'm now getting 23.5 mpg. conbined I shift about 3000. except when i'm on the on ramp or tryng to pass. I went back to using all kinds of gas to see if it was my imagination. and my mpg went down to where they were before. So for now I'm sticking with this brand of gas.
I
have other cars and they also get better gas mileage with different brands of gas (Eclipse Chevron) Mercedes (shell)

On Highway driving only I get 26.2 mpg doing about 80 mph.
Curently have 16k miles.

Give it a try.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:45 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Red lights and stop signs... just run them.

It's an old concept and it really hurts gas milage.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:47 PM
reen

Originally posted by toothlessracer
i use my car as a daily driver 35 each way= 70 miles a day. I used to get about 22 mpg. Then I started to see if i could get better milage with different type of gas (brand) Mobil, Chevron, Shell etc. I'm now getting 23.5 mpg. conbined I shift about 3000. except when i'm on the on ramp or tryng to pass. I went back to using all kinds of gas to see if it was my imagination. and my mpg went down to where they were before. So for now I'm sticking with this brand of gas.
I
have other cars and they also get better gas mileage with different brands of gas (Eclipse Chevron) Mercedes (shell)

On Highway driving only I get 26.2 mpg doing about 80 mph.
Curently have 16k miles.

Give it a try.
You never said WHICH brand of gas works best for your Z!

I picked up about 1.5 mpg on the highway by switching to Amsoil full synthetic oil. I get between 27 & 28 mpg on the highway at 80 mph, and about 19 city. I never shift below 4000 rpm, and routinely run it up to 5000-6000 for on ramps, passing, etc.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:13 PM
scubasteve

sell your z and buy a hybrid, or even better, transplant a hybrid system into your Z!!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:49 PM
djbit

After I installed a JWT Pop charger...my mpg went from 19.1 to 20.1 this, after about a month of use. Sweetness.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:02 AM
Bait-Fish

Okay, I was trying to Google up some info on some sort of gas purchasing club/card or something which I remember being around a few years back but can't seem to find now. I happened upon this info on gas saving techniques. Some we already know, others may not have been thought about. Of course some are very small but every little bit helps, right?
[list=1][*] Gas on a busy highway can cost 10c more per gallon than the same brand and same grade at a quiet corner just a few blocks away. Compare prices on the routes you normally drive, but don't go out of your way. This is known as zone pricing of gasoline.[*] When traveling out of town, check prices. It may be much cheaper in your town or at your destination.[*] Use a gas rebate card. Many major oil companies offer a 1%-3% discount if you use their Visa or MasterCard.[*] Don't use a higher octane than you need. 40 million drivers unnecessarily buy a premium grade. Look at the car manual or call the manufacturer's Customer Service Department to determine the correct grade.[*] If your car doesn't seem to run right, try a different brand of gas (same octane) before switching to a higher, more expensive grade. The additives in another brand of gas might work better with your car.[*] After filling up, turn the gas pump nozzle around 180 degrees to drain the last half cup of gasoline into your tank.[*] Don't fill your tank right up to the top. As much as one half gallon can leak out when the gas sloshes around during travel.[*] Don't get zero miles per gallon warming your car. Numerous experts recommend idling your car for only about a minute and then driving it slowly for a few minutes. This will greatly improve gas mileage and also lubricate the engine better.[*] Check tire pressure once a month. Correct pressure saves gas and and could save you 50% on the cost of tires as well.[*] Check your tires for uneven wear. Proper alignment saves gas and tires.[*] Replace the air filter regularly. A dirty filter will make the engine run too "rich."[*] Tune your car at least as often as specified by the manufacturer. Tune sooner in cold weather or if you drive in heavy traffic. A tune-up will more than pay for itself in gas savings.[*] Use an "energy conserving" oil, an EC or EC-II motor oil.[*] Remove any unnecessary weight from the vehicle. (When did you really take a good look at the stuff in your trunk?)[*] If you're not using the rack on top of your car, take it off. Wind drag reduces mileage.[*] Use the air conditioner only when necessary, especially in traffic. At highway speeds, however, the AC may be more efficient.[*] Driving 55 MPH will save 10%-15% vs. driving 65 MPH.[*] Drive smoothly. Fast starts, sudden stops, weaving in and out of traffic lowers mileage.[*] If you family has two cars, drive the car that's still warm for a quick errand. A cold engine gets terrible mileage -- about one third of a warm one.[/list=1]
Also, here's Nissan's recommendation straight from the owner manual (section/page 5-14):
Suggested up-shift speeds

Shown below are suggested vehicle speeds for
shifting into a higher gear. These suggestions
relate to fuel economy and vehicle performance.
Actual up-shift speeds will vary according to
road conditions, the weather and individual driving
habits.

For normal acceleration in low altitude areas
[less than 4,000 ft (1,219 m)]:

Gear change MPH (km/h)
1st to 2nd 8 (13)
2nd to 3rd 16 (26)
3rd to 4th 25 (40)
4th to 5th 28 (45)
5th to 6th 33 (53)
I suspect these shift points will actually be lower than 2000rpm as stated earlier in the thread as they are on the G35. They're more like 1700-1900rpm. The shifts will come very fast and often. It makes more sense to me to skip a gear instead. Shift 1-3-5-6 and you're shifting 33% less. You'll have to bring the revs up a little higher before skip-shifting but not much over 2000 as the VQ has more than adequate torque to economically accelerate in this range.

As far as air filters and other performance parts used for economy, that may be a double edged sword. The first time I ever put a POP charger on a car I just couldn't stay out of full throttle. That melody the engine sang as it spooled up was intoxicating!
Old 03-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Bait-Fish

Oh, one more thing. I don't know how the Z's A/C works but if it's like the G I'd suggest minimizing its use as well. If it's cold outside and humidity is not a problem, there's no use in running the A/C compressor if the air's just being heated anyway. In the G I tap the lit A/C button to turn it off but retain the auto temperature control function of the air unit.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:56 AM
reen

Originally posted by Bait-Fish
10. Check your tires for uneven wear. Proper alignment saves gas and tires.

Written just for the 350Z!
Old 03-28-2004, 08:21 AM
toothlessracer

by the way i found Shell to give the best mileage i ommited this originally on purpose. i want your finds to be your own not just believe what others say.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:01 PM
overboostedtoy

Originally posted by reen
You never said WHICH brand of gas works best for your Z!

I picked up about 1.5 mpg on the highway by switching to Amsoil full synthetic oil. I get between 27 & 28 mpg on the highway at 80 mph, and about 19 city. I never shift below 4000 rpm, and routinely run it up to 5000-6000 for on ramps, passing, etc.
Do you stick with the Amsoil recommended oil change interval? The claim by the manufacture is like at least 15k miles before oil change. Have you tried it? If yes, does the oil drain out sticky or watery. I'm a bit skeptical about the claim, but willing to give it a try since I drain out my Mobil 1 synthetic every 10k miles. What other improvments have you noticed besides improving gas mileage? Thanks
Old 07-28-2004, 01:16 PM
PoWeRtRiP

amsoil will last that long but you still need to change the oil filter every 3-5k.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:23 PM
jjellyneck

Originally posted by overboostedtoy
Do you stick with the Amsoil recommended oil change interval? The claim by the manufacture is like at least 15k miles before oil change. Have you tried it? If yes, does the oil drain out sticky or watery. I'm a bit skeptical about the claim, but willing to give it a try since I drain out my Mobil 1 synthetic every 10k miles. What other improvments have you noticed besides improving gas mileage? Thanks
I consistently got an extra mpg with Amzoil over dino oil (same with previous cars). After I get more miles on it the G (now have 10K), then I'll extend the oil changes to 5-6K miles, depending on severity of use, etc.
In city driving you can easily get better mileage by being proactive rather than reactive with your driving. In most city driving cases you can't use the power anyway, so you might as well putz, coast and get better mileage.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:39 PM
reen

Default yes, it works

Originally posted by overboostedtoy
I used Amsoil 10W30 and ran it for 23,000 miles (about a year). You still have to change the filter every 6 months. As an experiment, I took a sample of the old oil and sent it away for analysis, and while it wasn't perfect, it was fine. The report, in a nutshell, was "it's about time to change your oil, but no hurry."

I was impressed.

Quick Reply: Improving mileage ( how? )