Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NEW Tilton 8lb Flyweel package... Install and WOWIE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 02:34 AM
aalzuhair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
Ill take a new vid soon..

this is one shiftingfrom 3rd to 4th withthe different pressure plate... but it performs the same...

http://members.aol.com/performancenismo/tilton34.avi

only thing we change when installing this flywheel set up is the idle speed...
wow that tach just jumps

So having a lighter flywheel does not affect the TT tuning?
Old 04-08-2004, 04:04 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks very promising.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:08 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I hate to admit it... but Jason's car with his flywheel against my heavily modded high $$ car are pretty much an equal match when running stop light to stop light. My heavier Nismo flywheel can't let the engine accellerate as quick. The 30hp on accelleration to the rear wheels was shown on the dyno curve from our road race car. We can't release the dyno sheet, and I doubt a standard heavy street car will have the same results.... but our race team agrees it would be a MIN of 20rwhp on accelleration only (not top end). I'm going to drive Jason's car today and being a "little" older than him won't put up with something that will affect my driving in L.A. traffic. So I'll throw in my .02 soon. I'm off to the races so I'll try and do it first thing this morning.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:19 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by 3rdpower
Lil bit of dealer hype there?
Sorry, usually won't challange a person on this Forum... but this got my attention. Most people know us on this board for our honesty about products. We won't sell anything we don't believe in, and we TRY and test most products on our own cars first before we sell them. We also give reviews good or bad... even on our own products. We have had these flywheels since mid last year and have ALWAYS said they are not streetable (until now). We would never want to ruin our reputation for a sale... it's just not worth it. Z's are my passion and being the Parts Manager of a Nissan Dealer working 6/7 days a week and 14 hours a day is all fun for me. Yes, I might need professional help, but for now it's all good!!
Old 04-08-2004, 04:24 AM
VandyZ

Cant wait for the review, Jeff.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:36 AM
aalzuhair

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
Sorry, usually won't challange a person on this Forum... but this got my attention. Most people know us on this board for our honesty about products. We won't sell anything we don't believe in, and we TRY and test most products on our own cars first before we sell them. We also give reviews good or bad... even on our own products. We have had these flywheels since mid last year and have ALWAYS said they are not streetable (until now). We would never want to ruin our reputation for a sale... it's just not worth it. Z's are my passion and being the Parts Manager of a Nissan Dealer working 6/7 days a week and 14 hours a day is all fun for me. Yes, I might need professional help, but for now it's all good!!
Jeff,

Does having a lighter flywheel affect a TT tuning? And I'm very much interested to read your review of this setup.

Thanks,
Az
Old 04-08-2004, 05:41 AM
TourBlueZ

Does the flywheel/clutch package effect the warranty on the transmission? With all of the tranny troubles (on my 2nd - 3rd soon), I would hate to void my warranty.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-08-2004, 06:15 AM
Tim'sZ

Jeff and Jason, thanks for the honest review, and yes MOST OF US know that your opinions are honest and non-biased. Maybe my clutch will go soon so that I can make the change.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:26 AM
mchapman

Do you need to shift very fast in daily driving otherwise the revs drop too quickly?
Old 04-08-2004, 06:34 AM
350ZTN

Default install time

What is typical install time for this? Will there be graphs released on a streetable Z from you guys in the near future?
Old 04-08-2004, 06:38 AM
Dom

I would like other discs and not an other pressure plate.
I'd like a very hard pressure plate but a sprung disc.
The other pressure plate won't improve the launchhing, right?
Why don't they come out with sprung discs?

Thanks, Dom
Old 04-08-2004, 06:56 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

So... I drove Jason's car just now. DAMN!!!! I was not covinced that a pressure plate would make any difference at all.... I WAS WRONG. This thing is completely streetable. Don't get me wrong, it is not the same as stock. Jason's review is right on the nose 100%, I could just do a copy/paste here with my feelings as well. As soon as my car get's back from the lastest mod (non-performance, TBA LATER) the Tilton will be going back in. I am so looking forward to this. A few of you So.Cal people need to come by the dealer and drive Jason's car so we can get a 3rd party opinion please.....
Old 04-08-2004, 07:14 AM
j's350z

Just a little side question but why is his SES light on in the video??
Old 04-08-2004, 07:17 AM
JeffR116

Well then....I know what I'm saving up for next!!! Thanks for all the reviews and honest posts about the products you sell, Jeff and Jason; Even though You make me want to spend more money.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:28 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

TT TUning.... I dont see how it would effect it... and I dont think people putting on crank pulley's with their TT are re-tuning their systems... Since revving is much faster then stock... i would emainge the a/f could keep up with that?

Warranty... Just like any other mod that is up to your dealer... We are begining to think that the stock clutch is what is causing the problem... people who have gotten their tranny replaced and keep the stock clutch come back... the ones who put in a different clutch and different flywheel dont have a problem months down the road...

As far as a different sprung disk... there isnt much room for a spring like the stock disk... Below is a photo of the stock disk next to the tilton disk... (this is the Tilton full Metallic disk, but the structure is the same)... This is actually a "sprung" disk... see the 6 cuts in the disk? that makes the whole disk its self act as the spring... looking at the stock disk.. the springs in the middle are not what makes the stock disk a sprung disk, but the large disk that is between the two surface area's of the stock disk... if you look there is a large wide flat spring going between the two sides of the disk... it is very hard get a picture of this... but... it absorbes the shock of when the disk makes contact with the flywheel... the tilton disk's do the same by the sections between the cuts flexing...

Old 04-08-2004, 07:38 AM
NismoKid

When you guys say "streetable," does that mean not stalling as much and not having to basically dump the clutch in stop-and-go traffic? Is there any news on the Tilton street clutch instead of the Rally one you guys are using?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:48 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

tilton Street Clutch is what we are trying to work with them on toget... and they sent us this as a "street clutch" version... if it gets our approval (and who wants to come drive my car)...
Old 04-08-2004, 07:56 AM
aalzuhair

Jason,

Thanks for your reply. I have one more question for you, can I use your "Performance Flywheel" with a NISMO clutch and pressure plate?

Thanks,
Az
Old 04-08-2004, 08:27 AM
narkotic

I live in OC and will try to make it up there to test out your car, and if I like it enough i'll get one becuase my vortech is eating my stock clutch for dinner.

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
tilton Street Clutch is what we are trying to work with them on toget... and they sent us this as a "street clutch" version... if it gets our approval (and who wants to come drive my car)...
Old 04-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

well start driving!

the 8lb Tilton Flywheel must be used with a 7.25" clutch... either a Tilton 7.25" clutch or what ever else you can find... but to my knowledge... the Tilton 7.25" is the only one we know for a fact is working...

Quick Reply: NEW Tilton 8lb Flyweel package... Install and WOWIE!