Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NEW Tilton 8lb Flyweel package... Install and WOWIE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 09:32 AM
turbo-maxima

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adds 30 whp is dumbest thing I have ever heard. It reduces the amount of drivetrain loss and the flywheel increases acceleration because it is lighter but the lighter flywheel also puts more stress on the tranny as does the heavy duty clutch.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by turbo-maxima
Adds 30 whp is dumbest thing I have ever heard. It reduces the amount of drivetrain loss and the flywheel increases acceleration because it is lighter but the lighter flywheel also puts more stress on the tranny as does the heavy duty clutch.
Not as dumb as it seems. It's proven. This is on the accelleration curve only and not adding one bit to the overall top end RWHP. It just gets there quicker. The 30hp mentioned was on our road race car (www.PerformanceNissanRacing.com). Our street cars are more like 20. If someone has a STOCK car and want's to purchase one of these out of their oun pocket... we will pay for the before and after dynos so we can show the curve. We just can't release the dynos of our race cars.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:29 AM
350zluvr

but the lighter flywheel also puts more stress on the tranny as does the heavy duty clutch.
Does a lighter flywheel and a heavy duty clutch really put more stress on the tranny?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by 350zluvr
Does a lighter flywheel and a heavy duty clutch really put more stress on the tranny?
Anytime you add HP to a car, it stresses everything. I've yet to see a trans failure here due to too much HP. We have found the lighter flywheels (Nismo, JWT, Tilton) make the car shift easier.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:33 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Everything being equal, it allows the engine to generate more instantaneous hp to the flywheel; more stress to the tyranny because of added power, however, less stress to the engine turning the flywheel.

I would imagine that the actual trade off in this instance would be the loss of body inertia provided by a heaver flywheel; which would probably effect uphill climbs from a standing stop.

G
Old 04-11-2004, 01:45 PM
turbo-maxima

Tranny > Engine

You have one of the most reliable engines there are. I would worry about breaking the tranny not the motor.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:47 PM
turbo-maxima

500 ft lb. torque on stock engine. The tranny will not hold that for too long even with upgraded clutch. I would granny shift when you get to those kind of numbers.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:21 PM
uro279

Default Tranny

500 ft lb. torque on stock engine. The tranny will not hold that for too long even with upgraded clutch. I would granny shift when you get to those kind of numbers.
Then how do you beef-up the tranny?
Old 04-11-2004, 03:56 PM
12SecZ

(www.PerformanceNissanRacing.com)

That's one bad azz ride there. 2900 pounds, man I would love to drive that thing.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Diesel350

Jason,
Did you ever make it to the track?
Old 04-11-2004, 06:48 PM
turbo-maxima

Default Re: Tranny

Originally posted by uro279
Then how do you beef-up the tranny?
Cyro and shot peen the gears.
Upgraded Clutch

Among other little things.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:52 PM
uro279

Default Re: Re: Tranny

Cyro and shot peen the gears.
What does this mean?

thanx
Old 04-12-2004, 03:11 AM
turbo-maxima

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~mtce/peeninfo.htm (shot peen)

http://www.onecryo.com/ (cryo)
Old 04-12-2004, 05:54 AM
stx

Since horsepower is a really torque vs. time, if you accelerate quicker than you are obviously putting down more horsepower. Also, I lighter flywheel puts less stress on tranny during shifting since the rpms drop quicker and has less weight. F=ma so if you have less mass and it decelerates quicker you have less force being generated on the gears inside a tranny.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:48 AM
350gtboi

This is a great clutch altough very pricey..it has been used on supras for a while (carbon-carbon )version..Tilton motorsports uses it on their 1200wrhp supra and they said they used one for the whole season without it even wearin down..thats with like 7000rpm launches..also carbon clutches are more expensive but the advantage is carbon propertes make carbon clutches more grabby as they heat up which is the oppositte for conventional clutches...
Old 04-12-2004, 09:49 AM
350gtboi

This is a great clutch altough very pricey..it has been used on supras for a while (carbon-carbon )version..Titan motorsports uses it on their 1200wrhp supra and they said they used one for the whole season without it even wearin down..thats with like 7000rpm launches..also carbon clutches are more expensive but the advantage is carbon propertes make carbon clutches more grabby as they heat up which is the oppositte for conventional clutches...
Old 04-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I just got back from Sears Point...

I will post my full driving experience on the track review...

but... the flywheel definatly made it everything I wanted it to be... anything I wanted the motor to do down shifting / heal toe it did it as quick as I could move my feet and smoothly...

here is a photo of the course we ran... clockwize with the carousel...

my best time on the course (that i know of they havent posted from the last race session yet) was 2:10:089...

BFG KDW

here is a short video clip going in and out of turn 11... you can hear me chirp shifting into 3rd gear on the straight..

TURN 11 4-11-04 Sears Point
Attached Thumbnails NEW Tilton 8lb Flyweel package... Install and WOWIE!-04-11-04-sears-point.jpg  
Old 04-13-2004, 06:49 PM
jng1226

Default What is the typical Nissan dealer install cost?

I read through 5 pages of this thread and I don't think anyone asked this. What does the Performance Nissan Service Department charge for the install of this package?

If I get it, I would like my local Nissan dealer to do the install, but would like a reference from another Nissan dealer who has experience doing it.

Thanks

Jeffrey
Old 04-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Flasher

How much time would it take off 1/4 mile? (guesstimate)
Would it be noticeable??
Old 04-14-2004, 04:17 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Default Re: What is the typical Nissan dealer install cost?

Originally posted by jng1226
What does the Performance Nissan Service Department charge for the install of this package?
If I get it, I would like my local Nissan dealer to do the install, but would like a reference from another Nissan dealer who has experience doing it.Jeffrey
We charge $300.00. Used to be cheaper, but so many cars have aftermarket exhaust systems anymore (at least around here). A lot of these systems, although they came in pieces, need to be removed as a complete unit from cats back as the joints won't break free easily and we don't want to damage them. I.E. more labor.

FLASHER: We found that this flywheel is so light, that on a strip we had problems hooking the car up. Too much throttle in 1st or 2nd just spins the wheels. Once hooked up the car is a beast.... I'm getting mine put in by Friday.

Quick Reply: NEW Tilton 8lb Flyweel package... Install and WOWIE!