Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What's the lifetime of a high flo cat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 11:58 PM
Sponge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the lifetime of a high flo cat?

Is the life time of a high flow cat the same as the stock cat? Or does less material equate to a shorter of life of passing smog tests.

Also, do the crawford cats influence the sound of the stock exhaust much? Just wunderin.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:28 PM
lowrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard of the R/T cats blowing out. The Kinetix or Crawfords should be the same as stock. I have a fabricated Dual system with the Crawfords, and the sound is more deep and mellow. Not really louder at idle and low RPMs, but it wails at WOT. I also had a low RPM resonance with the stock cats and my fabricated system, that has disappeared with the Crawfords. I luv 'em.

Lou
Old 04-17-2004, 06:24 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will definatley pick up some sound with the high flow cats. Depending on your other mods, and your exhuast system, this could vary from hardly noticable, to significantly louder. Some also experience some raspiness.

The life of a high-flow is probably shorter than factory. Factory cats can last for a decade..no prob. Also, if you are N/A, you'll probably get several years of life, but if you go F/I and run rich...which most of us do...I wouldnt be surprised to see the CATS blow after a year or so. The RT's have a 2 year warranty, so they can be replaced if they fail.

I've also seen the post of the blown out RT cats. Most people agreed it was from repeated track use, or an overly rich condition. Like flooring the car at from idle when cold to show off for customers (Jason@performance ). The rich fuel condition is what ruins ANY cat...not just the high-flow variety.