Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone have a Stillen Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 08:25 AM
alpine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a Stillen Supercharger?

More importantly, there "newest" one not requiring any hood modifications?

I'd like some new input on this, and of course owner opinion is always the best.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2004, 12:56 PM
axxizzer

Default I do

i am not exactly pleased with the gains...and their website had zilch info on it. I really want more poniess! Thank you, i am making about 330 RWHP and am....les than pleases. I should post my modifications later.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:08 PM
alpine

Default Re: I do

Originally posted by axxizzer
i am not exactly pleased with the gains...and their website had zilch info on it. I really want more poniess! Thank you, i am making about 330 RWHP and am....les than pleases. I should post my modifications later.
Which model did you get?

You've got 330rwhp and you're not satisfied? Is there another Supercharger out there that will give you more?

THis is without modifying internals right?

From what I last gathered, if you want more HP then go turbo, but it does appear Turbo is going to give your engine "more" of a beating while it's doing that.

Also Turbo tends to be best at high RPM, due to my daily driving, and LA traffic, how much time do you get to spend at high rpms Vs an overall bandwidth curve as with a SuperCharger?

I'd like to know what you think since you actually have one? Are you local? Any chance on going for a spin?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stillen is the only one I have seen where there havent been any problems...

they have a new one that doesnt change the hood? maybe that is the HKS super charger.. I konw they areselling that one too.. so are we :-O
Old 04-19-2004, 05:56 AM
alpine

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
Stillen is the only one I have seen where there havent been any problems...

they have a new one that doesnt change the hood? maybe that is the HKS super charger.. I konw they areselling that one too.. so are we :-O
Yea over in some thread I did get into a few rounds with someone from Stillen where he layed out a couple modles, didn't mention that it was HKS though, and the specs were good (on the cautios side) and clearly indicated it did NOT require hood modification, and is 50 state CARB legal.

These are all pluses for me considering I don't need additional attention to my car when I am not looking for it.

Jason, what exhaust does Jeff have on his car? I started up a new exhaust thread, and I recall at the last Dyno his exhaust was NOT loud until the very top end, which is excellent.

thanks,
Old 04-19-2004, 08:38 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

other systems have boasted 350-360hp. but Id sacrifice 20hp for some reliablity.

but perhaps its only reliable cause it hasnt been widely tested quite yet.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:54 AM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those who have the Stillen SC, if you dont mind my asking, what kind of money does installation cost. Did you purchase it from the people that installed it or did you get it from someone else and take it somewhere to get it installed. Just curious. Took my Z to an SCCA autocross this weekend and I am dying to do some mods to the engine!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 11:05 AM
C5DEMON

I'm all about a stillen with no hood modifications. Someone on here ran a mid 12 sec 1/4 with the stillen. That's fast enough for me! Aren't they around $3700? I will gladly sacrifice the 20hp for the $2000+ difference. Unless I'm way off with my pricing?
Old 04-19-2004, 11:20 AM
alpine

Originally posted by C5DEMON
I'm all about a stillen with no hood modifications. Someone on here ran a mid 12 sec 1/4 with the stillen. That's fast enough for me! Aren't they around $3700? I will gladly sacrifice the 20hp for the $2000+ difference. Unless I'm way off with my pricing?
Pricing is right for the stage 1, non intercooled.

However stage 2, intercooled, is closer to 5,500.

Definetly giving in 20/30HP for reliability and not throwing a piston into the air is worthwhile, unless you are "truly" racing, then the hell with it!

Installation had got to be around 20/30 hours and depending where you go you are looking at $50-$100 an hour....

I'm checking into this at the moment, I'll let you know what I find out.

No hood modifications is a major point for me too.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:50 AM
DRWATSON1234

Can someone elaborate more on the Stillen SC without hood modification? I've been considering the Stage 2 Intercooled for reliable power but the hood has been the biggest drawback. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:26 PM
axxizzer

Originally posted by C5DEMON

Yeah, the stage 2 is what they most likely used, and its about 5000 dollars. without intercooler. And thats a hood modification, i actually really like the hood now, all carbon fibre hood with no paint, it really separates my Z out from the croud.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:32 PM
axxizzer

Originally posted by zachcrosen
For those who have the Stillen SC, if you dont mind my asking, what kind of money does installation cost. Did you purchase it from the people that installed it or did you get it from someone else and take it somewhere to get it installed. Just curious. Took my Z to an SCCA autocross this weekend and I am dying to do some mods to the engine!!!
A few buddies of mine owed me a favor and they said it wasnt a hard install at all, nowhere near as diffucult as the TT or even the numerous Centrifugal blowers out ther.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:30 AM
Dom

What exactly is included in the Stage 2 Kit?
Also timing retard or enigine management? Injectors?

I would like to get that kit. Or should I wait for the HKS???

Thanks