Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What individual NA mod gives the most HP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 12:44 PM
phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What individual NA mod gives the most HP?

I'm sure this is up for debate, but I'm asking what single NA mod, on a totally stock car, has been proven to give the most HP/TQ?

Please post what you think is the best in both best in peak HP/TQ or best in overall HP/TQ (over the entire curve)...

In other words, what mod by itself gives the most grunt for say lowering a 1/4 mile time and contributes most to the butt dyno?

What does everyone think?
Old 04-22-2004, 01:16 PM
derekjsmith

Short ram intake with heat shield.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Audito350Z

camshafts....
Old 04-22-2004, 01:23 PM
jcr847

Originally posted by derekjsmith
doubt it...
The best NA mod is any type of high flow cat/test pipe or a plenum. Although the tilton flywheel and clutch combo seems to completely change how the car revs from the videos I;ve seen.
You can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned mods.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:25 PM
wren57
Banned

Out of my mods, the MOST noticeable mod was the Kinetix Upper Plenum...
Old 04-22-2004, 01:26 PM
BluZee

I think I asked a similiar question two days ago and nobody replied. WTF? See Topic
Old 04-22-2004, 01:40 PM
phile

BluZee, I'm asking a different question. See below

Wren57

Remember, I'm asking what single mod, when added to a stock car would show the best gains and give the most grunt. Was your plenum the first thing you did?

We have been adding mods on top of mods here on the board. And it seems we have never really addressed what mod, when added to a stock car, adds the most power. The problem with this question is that we somehow have to find each person that added one different mod to their stock car (i.e. first to add intake only, first to add cats only, first to add straight pipe only, etc.). Its a black box of sorts. We need to use our power of deduction

I would also like to mention the fact that some mods are pointless as a first, individual mod. For example, if you add headers, the exhaust would be the restrictive part, hence making headers as an individual mod, pointless. First we have to agree on which mods NEED other mod support, and then throw them out. It's just an interesting topic of discussion I thought. Feel free to flame me for asking an old question if you wish.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:48 PM
BluZee

I wasnt trying to flame you at all. You asked about mods lowering your 1/4 time which is similiar to what I had asked before. I just dont get why you got a bunch of replies right away and its been two days since I posted my question without any answers. You didnt do anything wrong at all.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:59 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we can safely say it isnt an intake. perhaps if it was what gives the least... it could then compete with a nismo decal.

but for the most, gonna be a plenum, pulleys, or hiflowcat/testpipe.

pulleys CANT fail, they dont make the engine produce more HP, they reduce drivetrain loss. by that, I mean there is a definitive amount of HP that they MUST create, no ifs ands or buts. I like that about them.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:02 PM
mofoz

do a flywheel/clutch upgrade from mynismo.com and get thrown into your seat. 8lb tilton flywheel+streetable clutch. Jason reported dynos on their race of 30hp throughout the entire band, and to expect about 20hp throughout a normal zs powerband.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:03 PM
phile

Yeah, the flywheel seems like a big one. But the question still looms, which one give the best individual HP Because technically the flywheel gives "acceleration" horsepower.

BluZee,
Hey, I wasn't talking to you when I said that. My bad. Believe it or not, when I said "Feel free to flame me for asking an old question if you wish." I was talking about the fact that mod gains have been beaten to death on this board, and I was telling anyone they could feel free to flame me. I just wanted a new perspective on the issue.

Anyways, I totally forgot that you had mentioned that you posted a similar question. If I had remembered about that, I would have worded the quote above differently. It was merely coincidence that I said that.

So in short, to clear things up, I know you weren't flaming me. My bad short-term memory gets the best of me sometimes.

Last edited by phile; 04-22-2004 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:32 PM
wren57
Banned

The plenum wasn't my first mod, the JWT popcharger was. I felt little to no performance difference, just sound. The plenum is awesome...
Old 04-23-2004, 03:42 AM
pimp1911

Pullies, cats or plenum.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:15 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is for cats as far as added RWHP to the top end... and a Tilton Flywheel for acceleration HP.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:01 AM
bwzabodyn

without a doubt, if you're talking about putting power to the ground, the best N/A mods are going to be flywheel/clutch for 6mts, or a high-stall torque converter for 5at's (what I have - G35C - planning on doing a 2600 stall converter soon) - without going overboard and doing an entire stroker kit on your engine, the best N/A mods are going to be the ones that aid in putting the power to the ground, not the ones that aid in increasing RWHP (b/c they usually don't make more than an 8-10 hp increase at best)... but you're never going to be able to play with the big boys until you drop the big $$$ and go F/I (or blow up your engine w/ a sh1tload of NO2)
Old 04-23-2004, 07:19 AM
alex30327

Originally posted by derekjsmith

Ha ha, this is funny!
Old 04-23-2004, 07:47 AM
JawKnee

I don't think anyone has done it, but I have to say shorter gearing, i.e. a diff that is numerically higher. Somewhere around a 20% would be really nice
Old 04-23-2004, 08:01 AM
phile

Originally posted by bwzabodyn
without a doubt, if you're talking about putting power to the ground, the best N/A mods are going to be flywheel/clutch for 6mts, or a high-stall torque converter for 5at's (what I have - G35C - planning on doing a 2600 stall converter soon) - without going overboard and doing an entire stroker kit on your engine, the best N/A mods are going to be the ones that aid in putting the power to the ground, not the ones that aid in increasing RWHP (b/c they usually don't make more than an 8-10 hp increase at best)... but you're never going to be able to play with the big boys until you drop the big $$$ and go F/I (or blow up your engine w/ a sh1tload of NO2)
Makes sense. Good post. So for those not going the FI route, the best mods would be pulleys, light flywheel (and clutch), and say a final drive kit? EDIT: OH, and of course super sticky tires!

The only problem with shorter gearing is that you'd have to become a pro at shifting, as your alotted margin of error will be alot smaller. This is assuming you are going to drag the car every once in a while. However, isn't shorter gearing ultimately more of a faeture used on a track?
Old 04-23-2004, 09:06 AM
RIVET

Default Get lucky from the dealership!

I have personally seen dyno numbers all taken with stock Z's all on the same dyno with peak horsepower numbers ranging from 229-250hp. I've also seen a ringer press car do 253hp on said dyno.

Quick Reply: What individual NA mod gives the most HP?