Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Stock Block, Cast Iron Sleeves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 07:23 PM
basam350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Block, Cast Iron Sleeves?

Is it true the the 350z comes sleeved with ductile cast iron? Someone had a post and they mentioned that it did, if so this would be really good news to FI and NO2 owners.

Honda guys have to rip down there whole block to get work like this done and that is the pricey part of doing an engine build up. If this is true, all us Z owners have to do is swap out the pistons and rods.

Can the Stock pistons and rods be taken out of the Z without removing the engine from the car? Similar to Hondas and Mitsus.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:28 PM
racin

The engine has iron liners, but like Honda, it has an open deck. It is the open deck that will limit your power potential, eventually.
The engine does need to come out to change the rods and pistons. It is not overwhelmingly complicated. Nissan made it pretty easy as far as hoses and electrical plugs, etc..
Old 05-16-2004, 07:43 PM
basam350z

Racin, this sounds very promising for the VQ. The open deck on a Honda indeed a limitation, but in order for it to be worth closing that deck on a Honda, you'll probably have to boost over 12 psi.

I ran across pistons and rods today for the Z. I'm wondering how much labor it would be to get them in the car and if the block would have to be honed for them to fit.

http://www.i-m-racing.com/xtplowcotpiv.html