Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Self Install TT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 04:07 PM
AParshall04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self Install TT?

I was thinking how installing a TT kit on my 350z over summer would be really fun. For someone who has little experience working on cars, would this be a idiotic task to take onto myself with a few friends, or would it be feasible and a good learning experience?
Old 05-19-2004, 01:07 AM
wakaZ

Do it, should be a great learning experience for you. Make sure you can be without your car so you can just take your time, and don't rush anything. Have fun with it.

I had tons of fun with my Jetta IV and a T3/T4 kit with FMIC install
Old 05-19-2004, 04:31 AM
mzack

Check with ETX. He is on this site and is form Detroit. He did the TT install himself.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:57 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not that hard of an install if you have the right tools. just let a shop do the tuning and save about 1000
Old 05-19-2004, 01:10 PM
asad kahloon
Banned

what is a tt
Old 05-19-2004, 01:13 PM
AParshall04

lol, its a twin turbo
Old 05-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I am thinking about installing it myself, in my garage..but I think before you do the install, see if you can rent a lift somewhere (rent shop time), that would save you a LOT of trouble. if not, buy 4 jack stands and a floor roller (is that the name?), so you can slide underneth the car to uninstall headers, and install turbos..

not sure if impact would help... but definitely get ALL the tools beforehand...

Last edited by Apexi350z; 05-19-2004 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:46 PM
G3po

Default TT install

I plan on a self install in the home garage. I'm buying one of these four post freestanders. Quite a few companies out there make basically the same thing. I'm already tired of manually jacking up my G to change the oil.

http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...1661/index.htm

I've done 2 SC installs myself in about 2 weekends each before, and since 90% of the job was from the topside , a lift was not really required.

However; with the major pain of dealing with the exhaust manifolds etc, you ideally should have access to a lift (too much PITA without one).

Also some advice , "take your time" and the learning experience can be memorable.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:18 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

depends on your time commitment and budget. Even the folks that did it themselves would recommend having a pro do it...in restrospect. It took my mechanic 64hours to complete....he only charged me for 16hours....

Without a doubt...the hardest part is removal of the stock manifolds, and installtion of the new turbo manifolds, turbos, and wastegates. Without a lift...it is miserable...with a lift...it might be tolerable.

If you have a bunch of friends helping you....I bet you could do it in 3-4 days.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:31 PM
zzzya

I installed my Crawford headers by myself, with my car on two jack stands in 11 hours. I can't imagine the turbo manifolds being any worse than that. It definately was not a lot of fun until that last bolt was tightened down and I got to take her for a spin. I would think a TT or SC install would be a blast!! I would definately want to take my time though and maybe start on a Friday night or take a Friday off and do it over a 3-4 day weekend. Memorial day is coming up. Take Friday off and you would have Thursday night through Monday night to do it .
Old 05-19-2004, 09:49 PM
AParshall04

In reality i probably will not have the money to buy the turbo this summer, but i have some options i could take to get the money. If i did it, i would give myself probably at least a week, but i only have jack stands at the moment, and im guessing lifts are thousands of dollars. I dont know the price to rent one. I wish someone in the area had a lift in their garage and was interested in cars enough to let me use it.

I am sure a supercharger would be a lot easier to install myself.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:24 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pepboys has a tool loan thing, I think its pepboys, might be autozone. utilize that.

a life would be good... but not feasable probably.

it can be done. but I suggest you atleast have enough money set aside to pay for a flatbed tow to a shop and the cost for professional install incase you get in over your head. so you COULD pay to bail out. I dont think it requires anything more than a few bolts, theres no welding, no super heavy lifting. the hardest part is getting the car high enough to do your work.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:55 AM
AParshall04

I should try to make some kind of huge ramp that i could work under, like big cement blocks with boards over them or something
Old 05-20-2004, 09:01 AM
PoWeRtRiP

you also may need to custom fab some of the parts to make it fit. some have had to trim the wastegates, and the controversial front support/air bag sensor. if you have experience working in a shop go for it, just be sure to have lots of friends willing to help out too.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:43 AM
TruBluZ

I also was thinking about installing a TT myself. Two things I see that are a MUST are time and patience.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:24 AM
G3po

Default install

Oh yeah make sure you have a reliable second vehicle. Even though it may be possible to install one of the TT kits in a long weekend, for the first time installer , it is highly doubtful. Even if you can get the painful bulk done (under car stuff) you would still spend an extra few days dotting the "i"s and crossing the "t"s.
You need to take the ime to do it right or it could be a miserable experience for you.

If this really is your first major instal, I would recommend an SC unless you are really sold on the TT. In my view installing ie. a vortech is a walk in the park compared to a greddy or etc kit. But I've been there done that on other cars , so one reason I'm movin on to TTs.

Oh yeh several manufactures sell 4 post free-standing lifts for $2k shipped.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:28 PM
JonathanG35

.edit