Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What Flywheel Would You Get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 10:05 AM
blu3design

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Flywheel Would You Get?

My '03 Performance 350Z is in the shop for guess what? The Tranny- while it is there, let's go ahead and switch out that heavy flywheel...Members, what is your favorite choice for a flywheel...I know there are a lot of good ones out there, just wanna get it right the first time...also, what should I expect with this new setup...

thanks for the help,

aA-
Old 06-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: What Flywheel Would You Get?

Originally posted by blu3design
My '03 Performance 350Z is in the shop for guess what? The Tranny- while it is there, let's go ahead and switch out that heavy flywheel...Members, what is your favorite choice for a flywheel...I know there are a lot of good ones out there, just wanna get it right the first time...also, what should I expect with this new setup...

thanks for the help,

aA-
My car is about to go in for another tranny, I am going with the JWT. It is 13lbs, much lighter than stock, but you can still launch on it, which is something that I still wanted to do. The reason I stayed away from the Tilton was because you cant really slip the clutch with a FW that light, your either bogging or spinning with that FW...
Old 06-08-2004, 11:01 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say go with either JUN or JWT. I have the JUN and have no problem launching it at the strip. Its been on my car for almost a year. Working great Tilton is by far the lightest and i believe you have to replace the clutch the sametime, so its going to be more money. I believe i spent around $400 for the JUN.

Laterz
Aceman
Old 06-08-2004, 11:09 AM
PoWeRtRiP

love my jwt, takes a little getting used too and i occasionally stall out at a light (maybe once a month or so) but it revs so much nicer. makes downshifting fun too, i went ahead and got the clutch too while it was apart ended up being like 8xx dollars or so but i can now launch my car much harder and never have to worry about my clutch getting eaten up. and if i ever get a turbo kit its one less thing to buy on my list
Old 06-08-2004, 11:27 AM
blu3design

cool...the JWT is what i was leaning towards...sure the driveability will be a little different but i won't miss the slow rev up and down...should be a great foundation for the APS turbo system i anxiously await...thanks for the info fellow enthusiasts...

aA-
Old 06-08-2004, 11:28 AM
L.A. Roadster

Thumbs up

I love my JWT. That and the JWT clutch are the only performance mods I've done and I can feel a significant difference. I made the switch when they had my tranny out.

I had almost no trouble adjusting. Day to day works great.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are changing your flywheel, then replace your clutch too...

i personally cant drive a z that doesnt have a tilton in it now... it revv's so freely... its beautiful..

here is a video clip...

http://members.aol.com/performancenismo/tilton.avi
http://members.aol.com/performancenismo/tilton34.avi

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...?cPath=153_175
Old 06-09-2004, 11:19 AM
G3po

Default JWT

Originally posted by L.A. Roadster
I love my JWT. That and the JWT clutch are the only performance mods I've done and I can feel a significant difference. I made the switch when they had my tranny out.

I had almost no trouble adjusting. Day to day works great.

With the LW JWT flywheel , you should be able to use any 300ZX size clutch and disk. Which clutch and sisk are most people useing.
JWT, RPS, Clutchmaster Stage xxx? I was considering ther JWT fly with a CM stage3 (which holds more power and is still streetable.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:46 AM
PoWeRtRiP

they have a jwt disk that most z owners get its a stage 2 i think stock type organic disk with stronger pressure plate rated to about 500ft/lbs more than most of us will need any time soon and its easy to drive on. most dealers will know about this one it should be listed by the flywheel
Old 06-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Balls

wow... i'm surprised there aren't more votes for the tilton....
Old 06-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Z350Lover

Originally posted by aceman
I would say go with either JUN or JWT. I have the JUN and have no problem launching it at the strip. Its been on my car for almost a year. Working great Tilton is by far the lightest and i believe you have to replace the clutch the sametime, so its going to be more money. I believe i spent around $400 for the JUN.

Laterz
Aceman
I will second that one!!! After getting aceman's opinion on the JUN flywheel, I went straight to that... and the feeling is GREAT!!!

cheers,

richie
Old 06-09-2004, 03:55 PM
drudacris27

when time permits, I'll got tilton
Old 06-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there are not more votes for tilton because it is not sold seperately.....you can ONLY use it with their clutch or similarly sized 8 inch clutches.

JWT, Unorthodox, NISMO, JUN, are all flywheels that can be installed as standalone units, or with any number of aftermarket clutches.

Units like Tilton, Exedy, Ogura, ATS are desinged to only work with their clutches, or similarly sized race clutches
Old 06-09-2004, 05:03 PM
GY-Z

not trying to hijack the thread, but for those of u have JUN, does the it rev much faster then stock?
Old 06-09-2004, 05:29 PM
kvjacobz

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
if you are changing your flywheel, then replace your clutch too...

Why?
Old 06-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

7.25" clutch with the tilton...

JWT was orignianally using the 300zx TT clutch for the 350z... but they have since released a clutch from JWT specifically for the 350z that has a higher clamping force then the Z32 clutch...

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=382
Old 06-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Z350Lover

Originally posted by GY-Z
not trying to hijack the thread, but for those of u have JUN, does the it rev much faster then stock?
GY-Z:

The rev match is a lot faster and easier to do than the stock for sure (although I found that it is quite easy to do with the stock flywheel already)... I have no problem running my car since I got it installed.

Just one thing that might annoy some people is if you have a honking noise whenever you depress your clutch at 4000 rpm due to the resonance with the stock flywheel, the JUN flywheel will magnify that noise A LOT more than the nismo one. (also the chatter is a lot louder than the nismo one at lower rpm range, which I don't mind at all). It seems that I press my horn whenever I shift in 1st and 2nd gear at 4000 rpm... other than that, everything is perfect!

cheers,

richie
Old 06-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

you can get away with not exactly rev-matching exactly with the stock clutch and flywheel set up... it lets you slip soo much and it doesnt really jerk you around as much if you dont rev match exactly...

on a clutch like the Tilton Cerametallic disc clutch it is soo grabby if you are 100 rpm's off when rev-mattching you feel the car jolt, and if you are 1000 rpm's off you will chirp the wheels...
Old 06-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Phatmitzu

I went with Nismo, cuz I have to daliy drive it thu the b!tching LA traffic. 30 miles from home and it takes me 1 1/2 hours...one way!

If not, I'd went with tilton.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:22 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by Z350Lover
I will second that one!!! After getting aceman's opinion on the JUN flywheel, I went straight to that... and the feeling is GREAT!!!

cheers,

richie
sorry for the confusion of my question.
what i want to know is if jun flywheel helps ur engine revs a lot faster then stock flywheel?i am not quiet concern about heel-toe or rev-match.
thanks for replying anyways.

Quick Reply: What Flywheel Would You Get?