Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

How to Install NISMO Thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 11:38 PM
shortcut3d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Install NISMO Thermostat?

I read the service manual on installing the "Water inlet and thermostat assembly". The manual states draining the radiator. Is this necessary?

Can someone please provide instructions on how to install the NISMO Low Temp Thermostat (quick tips, experience, intelligent method, etc.)?

Jason or Jeff -- How many hours does NISSAN quote to replace the water inlet and thermostat?

I was hoping it would be a quick DIY installation.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:08 AM
BlueBlur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took off the Thermostat for my Z when I replaced the Heads and it is a pain in the ***!! Seriously. The reason is b/c the bolt's are difficult to get to...and yes you will need to drain the radiator so that you can drain the fluid from the block. Either that or radiator fluid will go everwhere....I know from experience on this one....You should get a set of rachet wrenches from sears or some place like that...It will REALLY help......there is bolt on the top and bottom and the top is not bad but the bottom is a pain...MAKE SURE TO BLEED THE LINE!! when refilling the coolant....if you don't the car will over heat and the check engine light will come on...also know from experience....you might need a universal join extention also...there is no gasket when you take it off...'03 Z didn't anyway....Having done it before there was NO WAY I was going to get that Thermostat......Best of Luck...

Last edited by BlueBlur; 06-17-2004 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:50 AM
stx

You are just kidding right? I put my Nismo thermostat in about 30 minutes. It only took me around 5 to 10 minutes to put the thermostat in. The rest of the time was draining and refilling the radiator.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:26 AM
ypwpat

Umm sorry what does the Thermostart do?
Old 06-17-2004, 07:34 AM
BlueBlur

nope not kidding.....the coolant line was in the way of the bolts...
I couldn't get a socket and racket on it...thermostate regulates the engine temp.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Z350Lover

Originally posted by ypwpat
Umm sorry what does the Thermostart do?
I think the nismo thermostate will sense at the lower temperature than the stock termostate which starts the fan operation to cool down the engine temperature... I think that's how it works...

cheers,

richie
Old 06-17-2004, 10:44 PM
shortcut3d

The NISMO low temp thermostat (starts) open at 154F compared to stock 170F. This reduces power loss from high engine temps by circulating coolant into the radiator earlier. The ECU will be able to run with more advance timing and leaner mixture.

I live in sunny California and summer temps on asphalt can quickly reach 100+. Cooling the engine better will result in better peformance in the summer. Especially since I drive at "high RPM for extend amount of time".

I also picked up the NISMO Power Steering Oil Cooler because several reviews said it worked great. At $120 each they are not insanely expensive.

Some people complain about the price of the thermostat. The service manual clearly states that the water inlet and thermostat are not to be seperated. You must replace both. Thats why NISMO sells the kit. Some people may think NISSAN is crazy and its not necessary, but I go with what the service manual says on a 30K+ sports car. (Its not my old LS Integ)
Old 06-18-2004, 05:57 PM
lunartick13

I`am seriously thinking about doing the switch, replacing the stock thermostat with the Nismo Kit but not really sure if 15 degrees is going to make that much diference. or will it? I would apprecciate some feed back from some of you out there on this issue.
Thanks,
Old 06-18-2004, 11:29 PM
shortcut3d

The NISMO Thermostat is not going to show on dyno results. Racing at Sacramento Raceway or Infienon / Thunderhill during the summer will benefit from the NISMO Thermostat. In theory, the hotter the engine gets the more likely it will ping. The knock sensor will dynamically retard timing to prevent knocking. You will lose power. An extra 15 degrees is a major difference, especially considering cheap pump gas that is in the market, which is more likely to ping in hot weather.

Just all theory.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:35 PM
lunartick13

Good point!, Iwon`t drive my Z in the Winter (Winters out here suck) so no need to have a thermo-stat that opens at 74 degree.
Thanks,