Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

690hp with this!! But what is?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 10:48 AM
turbo-maxima

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ravaz
Why would you want to build a VQ30 from a maxima when you can build a VQ35?
They built a VQ30 becuase of the lower piston speed which is better for top speed. They wanted to reach 200 mph and the VQ30 can easily rev to 8000+ rpm with upgraded valvetrain.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I am going to try and post some pics, I might need some help if this doesn't go through.
The TopSecret photo clearly has the CVTCC solenoids (the two small cylinders on the cam cover next to the front cover) and the VQ35 specific cam gear housings protruding from the front cover (the circular housings near the top of the front cover in front of the heads).
Now, Supra Crazy posted a pic of a mid-nineties Gloria (you can date it by the headlights) with a VQ30DET. The pic has the engine shroud on it though, covering the front cover and intake manifold, except for the throttle on the back of the engine. That is completely different than the VQ35 intake throttle, just look at the connection flange that mounts it to the manifold hidden by the cover. OK, now I should have posted a picture of a VQ30DET with cover removed that was shoved into a Z32, God only knows why, but the throttle connection is the same and other than my word, I have nothing else to give you that proves it is a VQ30DET with the cover removed and modded. Look at the front cover, it is flush. There are no solenoids on the cam cover or cam gear housings on the front cover. Neither of these parts are interchangeable with the VQ35 for reasons I will get to.
Now, there should be, God willing, another pic of the VQ35DE that NISMO built that produces around 450hp. The front cover lacks the cam gear housings because it is the front cover off a VQ30DET. Now I know I just said they are not interchangeable, and they are not on stock longblocks. The NISMO uses the RZZ heads which have the same cc as the VQ30 and the shorter deck height that goes with the VQ30. Hence, the VQ35 front cover will not fit. The RZZ heads don't utilize the cam gear housings like the VQ35 for the same reasons that the solenoid mounts are also blocked off. The VQ30DET heads don't have a place for the solenoids so don't think the VQ30 heads are the same as the RZZ, vast differences inside the head as well. This means that the only way to fit the VQ30 front cover on is with RZZ heads ona VQ35, or a VQ35 front cover on VQ30 with the 35 heads.
Finally, TopSecret couldn't just put the VQ35 heads and front cover on a VQ30DET shortblock because the piston bore is different between the two, another reason VQ30 heads will not work on a VQ35 and are not the same as the RZZ heads. The smaller bore of the VQ30 will not equal the diameter of the larger chamber on the VQ35 in other words. Now, the VQ30 could have been bored out to match, but I don't know what the maximum is allowed on a VQ30 before re-sleeving is necessary. It really wouldn't make sense when you could just start off with VQ35 and de-stroke it to 3.3L with the VQ30DET reciprocating assembly and VQ35 pistons. Again, there are two many discrepencies between the two engines that suggest, in my opinion, the original pic is in fact a VQ35. Just my neurotic observations....
Attached Thumbnails 690hp with this!! But what is?-vq30detz32.jpg  
Old 06-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Resolute

All my pics of the NISMO crate motor are too big, not 640x480, when I figure out how to re-size them I'll post. I also have a good head-on shot of a stock VQ30DET removed from the Gloria's bay, but need to re-size it also.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:29 PM
shimz350z

Originally posted by Resolute
OK, I am going to try and post some pics, I might need some help if this doesn't go through.
The TopSecret photo clearly has the CVTCC solenoids (the two small cylinders on the cam cover next to the front cover) and the VQ35 specific cam gear housings protruding from the front cover (the circular housings near the top of the front cover in front of the heads).
Now, Supra Crazy posted a pic of a mid-nineties Gloria (you can date it by the headlights) with a VQ30DET. The pic has the engine shroud on it though, covering the front cover and intake manifold, except for the throttle on the back of the engine. That is completely different than the VQ35 intake throttle, just look at the connection flange that mounts it to the manifold hidden by the cover. OK, now I should have posted a picture of a VQ30DET with cover removed that was shoved into a Z32, God only knows why, but the throttle connection is the same and other than my word, I have nothing else to give you that proves it is a VQ30DET with the cover removed and modded. Look at the front cover, it is flush. There are no solenoids on the cam cover or cam gear housings on the front cover. Neither of these parts are interchangeable with the VQ35 for reasons I will get to.
Now, there should be, God willing, another pic of the VQ35DE that NISMO built that produces around 450hp. The front cover lacks the cam gear housings because it is the front cover off a VQ30DET. Now I know I just said they are not interchangeable, and they are not on stock longblocks. The NISMO uses the RZZ heads which have the same cc as the VQ30 and the shorter deck height that goes with the VQ30. Hence, the VQ35 front cover will not fit. The RZZ heads don't utilize the cam gear housings like the VQ35 for the same reasons that the solenoid mounts are also blocked off. The VQ30DET heads don't have a place for the solenoids so don't think the VQ30 heads are the same as the RZZ, vast differences inside the head as well. This means that the only way to fit the VQ30 front cover on is with RZZ heads ona VQ35, or a VQ35 front cover on VQ30 with the 35 heads.
Finally, TopSecret couldn't just put the VQ35 heads and front cover on a VQ30DET shortblock because the piston bore is different between the two, another reason VQ30 heads will not work on a VQ35 and are not the same as the RZZ heads. The smaller bore of the VQ30 will not equal the diameter of the larger chamber on the VQ35 in other words. Now, the VQ30 could have been bored out to match, but I don't know what the maximum is allowed on a VQ30 before re-sleeving is necessary. It really wouldn't make sense when you could just start off with VQ35 and de-stroke it to 3.3L with the VQ30DET reciprocating assembly and VQ35 pistons. Again, there are two many discrepencies between the two engines that suggest, in my opinion, the original pic is in fact a VQ35. Just my neurotic observations....

Wow, I know you know much more about cars then me...but from my normal non mechanic memory...i read that specific topsecret z and I recall it being a VQ30.

If it's the Gold one...here's an internet link I read in a magazine(don't remember what magazine)

http://www.gulfgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3823

check the above thread...should explain more.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:46 PM
djspeks

if anyone has read the latest modified magazine(July issue, the one with the evo on the front)...it features the top secret z in there. According to them, they say it's a VQ35DE in the Z, however Super Street says it's a VQ30. I would like to know the truth myself.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:39 AM
SQUILL

Pic of the nismo crate motor
Attached Thumbnails 690hp with this!! But what is?-niscrate.jpg  
Old 06-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Nismobilized

where can you find nismo crate motors?
i didnt know there was such a thing...
Old 06-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Resolute

Originally posted by shimZ
If it's the Gold one...here's an internet link I read in a magazine(don't remember what magazine)

[url]http://www.gulfgt.com/forum/showthread.]

check the above thread...should explain more.
That is an article from Super Street mag.
Thanks SQUILL for posting that NISMO crate motor pic for me.
The motor is not for private sale I believe, but built to order for JGTC. This is my understanding from other forums.
The front cover is from a VQ30DET, and identical to the the engine in the Z32 I posted, as it is also a VQ30DET. You can see how they lack the protruding cam gear covers that are so prominant on the VQ35. This is the biggest observation that trips me up.
As for the RZZ heads and the NISMO crate motor, I want to clarify that I am only guessing and do not know for fact that the NISMO engine uses the RZZ heads. The motor obviously is not using stock VQ35 heads, and from my understanding the RZZ will not use the protruded cam gear housings so I assume that the RZZ is installed. As far as RZZ deck height, it is apparently the same as the VQ35 heads, I do not know how they compare with the VQ30 deck height. The front cover is a two piece design so can be exchanged, as far as I know, without consideration to deck height, only with regard to camshaft placement on each head as the cams must be sealed properly on both sides of the front cover and then by the cam cover also. I think it would be great if Nathan or someone with the RZZ installed to speak on differences and necessary mods to install them.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:09 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by turbo-maxima
Your retarted, the first VQ engine was used in the US 1995 Maxima.
Actually, you're retarded.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:54 PM
turbo-maxima

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
Actually I was in a hurry because I was on my break at work.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:07 PM
twenzel

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
priceless.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:04 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

The mag that I last read that talked about the TS car putting down 690 wheel was indeed using the VQ35 AND revving to 8000 rpm's, which was listed in the text wherever the motor was referenced. The motor looks to me to be a vq35 from the timing chain cover. The only car I AM aware of that used the VQ30 motor, was the top secret TOP SPEED car that did the 100+mph flippage. Not this one.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:22 AM
djspeks

Originally posted by Juztin
The mag that I last read that talked about the TS car putting down 690 wheel was indeed using the VQ35 AND revving to 8000 rpm's, which was listed in the text wherever the motor was referenced. The motor looks to me to be a vq35 from the timing chain cover. The only car I AM aware of that used the VQ30 motor, was the top secret TOP SPEED car that did the 100+mph flippage. Not this one.
I believe there was an orange Option/JUN 350Z that had a single turbo VQ30 that also crashed from doing 200+mph. Is the Top Secret TOP SPEED car you're talking about a different one?
Old 06-30-2004, 10:11 AM
ranger5oh

I thought that 690HP number had some controversy to it. It was corrected by some ridiculous number. When final calculations were done, it wasnt much more than the regular TT setups have been getting.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Chinkzilla

well, i guess the second page of this thread is pretty informative, especially resolute's posts.

But the first page of this thread is so filled with misinformation I don't even know where to start =P
Old 06-30-2004, 02:03 PM
McBickBick

Hey Superstreet mag says that IS a VQ30 what is under the hood.
Their textual words are:"Well, for starters, the engine's not even a VQ35; it's a VQ30 out of a Nissan Gloria (an Infiniti M45-offered in different JDM trim, naturally) " but now I don't know who believe in, people says that is a VQ35 and Superstreet mag that is a VQ30.

You can check my info at Superstreet
Old 06-30-2004, 05:14 PM
snolden

to be nitpicky the gloria corresponds to the M30 in the mid 90's. they didn't increase the displacement to 4.5 liters until a couple years ago.