Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

JWT Clutch and Flywheel review

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004 | 05:04 PM
mgtibbetts

Default JWT Clutch and Flywheel review

I just had my Jwt clutch and flywheel installed yesterday. My first impression was WOW!, this is how the clutch is suppose to feel. There is very little slipping like the stock clutch, just a nice positive engagment. The clutch pedal also requires a little less force to push it down and the engagement occurs right in the middle of the travel rather than way up at the top like it use to. Much better overall. The flywheel seems to rev up a bit faster in neutral than stock and it definitley pulls harder going through the gears. So much more responsive and heel toeing is easier because when you blip the throttle the tach shoots up quick so there's no guessing how long to wait to let the clutch out. For the downside, the clutch will take a little getting use to. I just got really good with the stock clutch so I will have to adjust, but overall this setup feels more comfortable. As for the flywheel, there is definitely that talked about cement mixer sound. It is most pronounced at idle with the car in neutral and goes away when you engage the clutch. You can also hear it real good if you select too high a gear and the engine bogs a bit, then it sound like one of those noisemaker things (think newyears or a birthday party). I also noticed that it is louder after the car is warmed up.
Well, I guess I should really thank Jeff over at Performance Nissan for getting the parts out to me in a timely manner and keeping me informed of the order process every step of the way.
Old 06-30-2004 | 06:10 PM
JonathanG35

Default Re: JWT Clutch and Flywheel review

thanks for the review. i need to get mine installed. they have been sitting in my living room for months.
Old 06-30-2004 | 06:32 PM
zimbo

I'm also very happy with the JWT combo. Car revs faster and the clutch can take the abuse of forced induction for anyone considering that down the road--however, the combination is extremely street-friendly.

Here's a little video of my car at WOT with the JWT combo...

Revs pretty fast, eh?

--Steve
Old 07-01-2004 | 09:45 AM
MCopare

I have this combo sitting in my room....anyone know where I can get it installed in the Norfolk area??? and how much $??
Old 07-01-2004 | 05:33 PM
mgtibbetts

Originally posted by MCopare
I have this combo sitting in my room....anyone know where I can get it installed in the Norfolk area??? and how much $??
I had mine installed at Cottman Transmission. It is a national chain and they warranty their work. I was really satisfied with them. You can locate stores in your area on their website Cottman.com. The cost for mine was 500.00 installation. Maybe a little steep (I've seen some posts on here saying people payed $350 to $450) but I was really satisfied with their customer service. BTW, Called 2 nissan dealers in my area and they wouldn't even touch it. One of them even hung up on me after giving be a bunch of crap as to why I wanted to install a new clutch and flywheel. He insisted to know what was wrong with the stock ones, He kept saying, "I don't get it, why do you want to install a new clutch and flywheel?"
Old 07-02-2004 | 08:05 AM
WP Gaston

This is brilliant and shows why generally speaking we just all love our dealerships sooo much. They are so knowledgeable about our cars & so supportive & helpful.
Old 07-02-2004 | 08:30 AM
mpowers

MCpare try Tidewater Z service center in hampton ask for Todd or
Jim Hardesty with London bridge auto in Va Beach
Old 07-02-2004 | 08:50 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Originally posted by WP Gaston
This is brilliant and shows why generally speaking we just all love our dealerships sooo much. They are so knowledgeable about our cars & so supportive & helpful.

thats a very broad generalization. i had mine installed by my dealer while replacing my tranny for the cost of 1hr labor. they though it a great idea, and have actually shown enthusiasm towards my mods when i bring it in. my service adivisor has also helped me out with adjusting my exh so it doesnt rattle, for free, while it was in anyways.

with that said i understand not every dealer is cool. but there are some nice ones out there
Old 07-02-2004 | 10:40 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

very nice! glad you like it!
Old 07-02-2004 | 11:18 AM
Jax350z

Power_Trip do you use the Coggin at St JB, or something in orange park?

I bought the maintenance plan when I got the car, and I want to make sure that I wont be getting harrased about mods.

The people at Coggin Nissan St JB have seemed helpfull so far but I have only just received my second oil change today.
Old 07-02-2004 | 11:21 AM
Jax350z

Jason, how hard is it for you to launch with that Tilton and the BFG's?

Have you tried out a drag strip since the upgrade?
Old 07-02-2004 | 11:38 AM
LaPuLaPu

Originally posted by zimbo
I'm also very happy with the JWT combo. Car revs faster and the clutch can take the abuse of forced induction for anyone considering that down the road--however, the combination is extremely street-friendly.

Here's a little video of my car at WOT with the JWT combo...

Revs pretty fast, eh?

--Steve
That RPM needle is QUICK!
Old 07-02-2004 | 03:21 PM
WP Gaston

I get grief for making a statement about car dealers? oh well. The only car dealer I have not been embarrassed to 'deal' with, so to speak, has been Performance in Duarte, CA. Sorry, I'm a 'lumper', not a 'splitter'.

But, FWIW for this thread, a new lighter weight flywheel is on my 'want' list too. I think I would gain much personal pleasure from having my car rev a lot quicker.
Old 07-02-2004 | 05:01 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

with the tilton it isnt very hard to launch at all with the pedal stop installed