Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Nismo Or Jwt Cams For Hp Gains

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Zmego1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo Or Jwt Cams For Hp Gains

Witch cams are better for horsepower and toque gains nismos or JWT.

For mods i have a apexi cold air intake, unorthrodox racing pulley, crawford plenum, crawford cats, crawford headers, Injen exhaust, grounding kit, and ecu reflash some from technosqaure soon. Can someone please tell me witch cams would be better for these mods, and do i need to have another reflash after my cams are installed.

Thanks Glen
Old 09-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Barzten1

Bump!
Old 09-09-2004, 09:12 PM
Sins4u33

i beleive the nimos are made for more low end torque and the jwt is made for higher up in the powerband...i dont know know much though about the nismo cams...so dont take my word....JWT though is the way to go alot of people on the boards are using them...people say they "scream" after 4k...and yes i do beleive you will need to reflash your ecu...i dont think it costs that much more to redo ecu....i also beleive with certain cams you need your idle raised just a tad like 900 rpms...but dont take my word for granted...im not exactley sure...cams are very hard to understand with the lift and duration..

Ben
Old 09-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Zmego1985

You are correct for the reflash technosquare raised my idle to 900 for the JWT cams, and the car runs fine now.

Thanks Glen
Old 09-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Sins4u33

oh ok....i forgot that you just had them installed my bad...are you liking them??? i know i would...i just need those crawford headers and then cams....i want them sooo bad...

Ben
Old 09-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Zmego1985

My car pulls like a monster now i love it. Im gonna dyno again to make sure my AF is perfect if its not technosqaure will fix it with one more reflash, but hopefullly they got it correct the first time.

Thanks Glen
Old 09-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Sins4u33

Good stuff hope you enjoy it...but see if you can help me out by putting up a video or something at this link....

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=90987

thanks dude

Ben
Old 09-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Javi

Default Re: Nismo Or Jwt Cams For Hp Gains

Originally posted by Zmego1985
Witch cams are better for horsepower and toque gains nismos or JWT.

For mods i have a apexi cold air intake, unorthrodox racing pulley, crawford plenum, crawford cats, crawford headers, Injen exhaust, grounding kit, and ecu reflash some from technosqaure soon. Can someone please tell me witch cams would be better for these mods, and do i need to have another reflash after my cams are installed.

Thanks Glen
I personally have seen gains up to 20whp in different applications (G35 and 350Z) with the JTW cams. The catch is that you will loose just a tad of low end torque. You would benefit from them even more by raising the rpm limit.
As told by JWT, the Nismo’s where designed by them and theirs is an improved version of the Nismo’s with a little more R&D.
STILL the Nismo’s are a great mod.
I went with JWT.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the highest dynos we have seen to date have all used Tomei cams
Old 09-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Javi

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
What numbers have you seen for the cams only?
I guess it figures because the Tomei cams are more radical than the JWT and Nismo. But the re-programming of the ECU is a MUST! At least for the most radical of the bunch…
That is why I didn't install the Tomei cams, my Z is a 2004, no TECHNOS ECU upgrade yet.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:33 AM
zzzya

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
The only reason I did not go with the Tomei 264 cams was because of the need for extra parts during the installation. I drove 11 hours to TN to have them installed and could not wait 1 to 2 weeks to receive the right buckets for the install. Had Tomei used more quality control and produced a cam that didn't require swapping buckets, I would have went with them for sure.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:15 AM
kzshin

For mods i have a apexi cold air intake, unorthrodox racing pulley, crawford plenum, crawford cats, crawford headers, Injen exhaust, grounding kit, and ecu reflash some from technosqaure soon.
What's Apex'i CAI??? do you got pics??? Is is the same type as the one they have for EVO and WRX???
Old 09-11-2004, 10:48 AM
287HP

Both cams are good! And they both produce fairly equal gains!Nismo's a little more low end torque, JWT's a little more high end torque!
Old 09-11-2004, 03:56 PM
L.A. Roadster

Javi,

Were you able to up the idle on your 04? If not how did you deal with the issue of stalling?
Old 09-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Javi

Originally posted by L.A. Roadster
Javi,

Were you able to up the idle on your 04? If not how did you deal with the issue of stalling?
Nope, I tried to raise the idle with the consult II but it didn’t work. First I thought that it was because of the 350evo throttle body, but I tried with a stock one, with no luck either. My guess is that the consult II that my dealer has, needs an update for the ‘04 model.
About the stalling issues, I’m used to it now. What I do is that I don’t depress the clutch until I almost stop, and keep the air conditioner most of the time on.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:15 AM
Q45tech

The factory bucket lifters come in 28 flavors to compensate for manufacturing and installed variations, so why would you expect aftermarket cams to be better than factory tolerances.

The cams are probably closer to perfect than the installed valves and spring seat to valve seat distances.

Not sure how members will be able to resell cars with cams as they are responsible for emission tampering and can be forced to return the car to oem by subsequent buyers at a later date.

Always launder [if they don't catch it for 30 days] the car thru a dealer to limit future liability......AS IS doesn't protect you in a direct sale to an Individual from emission tampering charges and restoration............different states are different and haven't caught up to California yet.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:26 AM
zzzya

Well so far the Tomei cams are the only ones on the market that I know of that have required different buckets!! The JWTs and Nismos have been just fine. I contribute this to quality control and attention to detail. BTW, the Nismo cams were made by JWT so in a sense JWT really did their homework.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:58 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps older versions of the cams required buckets, but to my knowledge newer ones (sold this year) do not...only thing needed are springs for the 264 and 268 setups.

Javi - we ahve not dynoed cams as a standalone mod as its pretty difficult to do...all the cam setups have been done along with other mods at the same time to minimize install cost and to make tuning simpler for the owner. But do some searches for Tomei and dynos..a few people have posted them.

Looks like I'll be going with the 268's on my car
Old 09-25-2004, 09:19 AM
zzzya

Well, I contacted SGP this summer before I purchased the cams to have Doug at Crawford install them. I was told from SGP that the Tomei cams still required bucket swapping. I would have been all over the 264's had this not been the case.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:14 AM
whosdady

I have the Nismos and I am very happy with gains throughout the powerband.

Quick Reply: Nismo Or Jwt Cams For Hp Gains