Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

800-900 horsepower Supras?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 11:31 PM
350zJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Kumacho
I do not mind lacking some HP. If I want brute HP/TQ I'll drive my SS. I've not had the chance to Dyno it since the latest batch of mods (I got sent overseas to a remote island where I can't have a car). Right now I have a stroker kit waiting for the SS.

I have driven cars with a lot of Horsepower and as a youngster roadraced Motorcycles. So I'm not a stranger to high power to weight ratios.

I have been an Automotive enthusiast for 30 years. Ever since my first car, a '64 Impala SS and made it into an 11 second car. That car had so much torque I kept cracking windshields on launches!

I am really not looking for a 1000hp beast. In most cars you can never utilize all of that anyway. It's just that eventually I'd like to turn the Z into a monster roadracer. My calculations put the need at around 500-600 hp.

While I made fun of laughing boy, he was right about one thing; there are a lot of 1000hp supra that are nothing more than dyno queens. Very few people have built up 900+ hp supras that can actually use those ponies.

I am just a bit surprised that nobody has made a firebreathing Z yet. I'm sure it will happen and it will probably be a couple of years out. We seem to be at the experimental stages with the Z and manufacturers seem to be in the same stages.

I guess I just need to be patient.
Someone recently dyno'd nealry 500whp on a stock motor, hes planning on putting a built motor in very soon, I cant wait to see what it makes.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Orange Peel

Ahhh Laughing boy is hurt, but he is right about one thing... Nothing don't listen or take me sriously only listen to poeple who are argue with each other, they are the ones that get stuff done anyways. By the way, what gave away the fact that i coudn't afford a Mclaren, was it the time i waste talking to people like you? HA HA HA HA HA !! YEAH thats it, I guess you're right if i could afford a million dollar car i wouldn't have to listen to this.

PS. Have fun Mr. ne foot in the Arlington . Oooooh HA HA HA

DON"T MAKE FUN OF LAUGHING BOY OR THE JOKE WILL BE ON YOU!!!! thats a HA with an "H" CAPITOLA!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Orange Peel

whatever old stuff just don't dye on me with your 5 million Horsepower cars here, make sure you take a crash course in street smart before you start guning it sideways in your fishtailing 1000 hp piece, losing traction and cracking differentials. (Quaife is the only company that can mek a differential that can take that much poer and they don't even make anything for the Z) I'll really be laughin when you've spen 300 thousand dollars to make a super fast Uber Z and die in it because the car is not meant to be pushed that much. I you like to have 1000 hp just get a freakin bike and die don't bag on the Z because it cannot make 1000 hp on a stock block. Who cares, the difference betwwen a laggy 1000 peak hp and 800 jp and 600 low end and 500 extreemely low end hp cannot even be felt in day to day stoplight driving. You're calling me a boy Mr. Fast and furious wannabees. I saw you're "500 hp" supra's too, the thing take 4 gears to friggin pass you HAHAHAHAHA. That much Lag should be outlawed, Those 100 hp single turbo supra's have no power unitl 5 grand and they redline at 7 grand and they have to shoot nitrous to spool their turbo's or else Z06 corvettes take them for a ride , even at three digit speeds. And even with all that I have seen videos where a crazy nitroused supra with like 800 hp before nitrous just barely passes and holds a 650 hp lambo murc. Don't make fun of me when what is being suggested is pure number wars and has no room in motorsport, when's the last time you actuall saw a 1000 hp race car? cmon.

One place i agree with old timer arlington is that road racing is the ish and that i think that even 380 naturally aspirated HP is great if the car is stable enough. The better the handling the less power i need, make it lighter, and make it fast. I'll have your 1000 hp supra right here at willow springs road course.

I lough so nobody gets offended, it means J/k so hahahahahah
Old 09-10-2004, 03:23 AM
97modman

PhoenixINX quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 97modman
As far as the Handling I would say the supra handles better...the supra stock puts down a 0.98 lateral g for 1993 the other car that can do that was the FD RX7..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just facts..do yourself a favor look it up..
Old 09-10-2004, 03:28 AM
97modman

Orange Peel whatever old stuff just don't dye on me with your 5 million Horsepower cars here, make sure you take a crash course in street smart before you start guning it sideways in your fishtailing 1000 hp piece, losing traction and cracking differentials. (Quaife is the only company that can mek a differential that can take that much poer and they don't even make anything for the Z) I'll really be laughin when you've spen 300 thousand dollars to make a super fast Uber Z and die in it because the car is not meant to be pushed that much. I you like to have 1000 hp just get a freakin bike and die don't bag on the Z because it cannot make 1000 hp on a stock block. Who cares, the difference betwwen a laggy 1000 peak hp and 800 jp and 600 low end and 500 extreemely low end hp cannot even be felt in day to day stoplight driving. You're calling me a boy Mr. Fast and furious wannabees. I saw you're "500 hp" supra's too, the thing take 4 gears to friggin pass you HAHAHAHAHA. That much Lag should be outlawed, Those 100 hp single turbo supra's have no power unitl 5 grand and they redline at 7 grand and they have to shoot nitrous to spool their turbo's or else Z06 corvettes take them for a ride , even at three digit speeds. And even with all that I have seen videos where a crazy nitroused supra with like 800 hp before nitrous just barely passes and holds a 650 hp lambo murc. Don't make fun of me when what is being suggested is pure number wars and has no room in motorsport, when's the last time you actuall saw a 1000 hp race car? cmon.

HUH!!! it is very hard to understand what you are talking about..it is like you a rambling..I cant read all of your post without breaking it up..
Old 09-10-2004, 07:46 AM
azrael

Originally posted by 350Zteve
What do you base any of the above statements on other that pulling them out of your ***?
Why the VQ is better than the 2JZ:

- 4 bolt main caps
- wider main bearing journals
- better rod/stroke ratio
- oversquare design with room to grow
- longer rod length (lower mean and peak piston speeds)
- more displacement
- much lighter block

Like I said.. the weak points are the open deck and the rods. Both are easily fixed. The VQ is a very capable motor with LOTS of potential. It just takes a little effort to unleash it.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:58 AM
97modman

I guess what some people are saying is that with the supra you do not have to worry about touching the internals, in the VQ you have to worry..but this is nothing new the old 300Z twin turbo motor was boosted and i never really saw many people with 500rwhp and it took alot of money to get it there safely.

just like someone said in the previous post it is rapidly growing and it does not look like it will stop anytime soon..
Old 09-10-2004, 09:09 AM
002-M-P

It's amazing how many people think that having a 800hp supra is just a cheap thing to do. Parts to get those cars that fast isn't cheap, and neither is the car. I picked up my 2003 350Z for right at 30k and the best stock supra I could have got for that would probably be a 94 or 95 with 60k miles. IMHO I think they are overrated and thats why the prices are so high. That doesn't mean I don't think they have great engines and are great cars, just not into all the hype over them.

If you have read in the forced induction forum then you would see that someone has aready made 467 rwhp at 9psi on a stock motor. All these supras you speak of usually run race gas to on a built motor too, so they can run more boost. It is awesome numbers for a supra to make 650 rwhp on pump gas. Race gas gives them that much more for the extra boost.

I think if we just give it time, there will be so many more possiblities. I mean do you think the supra aftermarket was this big after just 2 years of car sales.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:31 PM
JamHooks

I live on Long Island where either you have a super car (labos ect) or you have a vette. Since we all are rich like that there are more vettes. I really dont care about the hp thing but..... I would love to kick the horse $hit out of a vette. I would love some advice on how to get the power to beat those cell phone talking while driveing chumps.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It would seem to me that the Zcar engine is vastly more refined and advanced over the TT Supra engines
More refined? Maybe. Stronger....that's a relative term. The VQ block is quite nicely made...the internals are not nearly as robust out of the box than the Supra internals are, nor will the Z produce the torque curve that an I-6 can.

So why is it there are literally thousands of 800-900 hp Supras around and I have yet to hear of a single 350 laying down that kind of HP?
There are thousands of them? Where. They are not nearly as common as you think..they just get lots of press. Yes the Supra has an unbelievable motor out of the box. But its not cheaper nor more expensive to build it right vs any other 6 cylinder motor.

Will it happen? At some point, sure. But hell, a 600 hp at the wheels Z would be an awfully fast car no matter how you slice it. Hell my 280 is making 594 now and its virtually undriveable at that power level.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:56 AM
kudos

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
More refined? Maybe. Stronger....that's a relative term. The VQ block is quite nicely made...the internals are not nearly as robust out of the box than the Supra internals are, nor will the Z produce the torque curve that an I-6 can.
This is a better torque curve than any comparable supra i've seen.

This thread talks about this too : http://supraforums.com/forum/showthr...highlight=vq35
Attached Thumbnails 800-900 horsepower Supras?-sgpracing-store_1806_14658175.jpg  
Old 09-11-2004, 04:43 PM
G35sDriver

Lets not forget the Supra is a far more expensive car.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:39 PM
bigern1970

Default Re: 800-900 horsepower Supras?

Originally posted by Kumacho
It would seem to me that the Zcar engine is vastly more refined and advanced over the TT Supra engines.

So why is it there are literally thousands of 800-900 hp Supras around and I have yet to hear of a single 350 laying down that kind of HP?

Is there something that is keeping Z's from making those huge numbers? Is the reason that the Z has not been out that long? I'm really curious about this. Sure seems like our cars should be capible of producing equal or better numbers than the Supra did.
When a car comes from the factory turbo, it natrually going to have stronger internals. Toyota blocks are some of the strongest blocks from the factory.

I liken nissans block to the (yes im going to say it) honda blocks in that they are aluminun and they have floating cylinders.

When hondas first came out with turbos they had internal problems with high boost as with the Z's

The good news is that I guarantee you there will be Z pumping over 800 and 900 hp in the near future. Just look at the video in the FI forum when PHUNK breaks off not1 or 2 tt supras but a toatal of 5 ( video) and with stock internals.

Peeps never thought Hondas and acuras would pump that much hp

And with the Z having such a great following aftermarket companies are licking their chops for your cold hard cash so you will definitely see Monster 350s soon.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Enron Exec

Default Re: Re: 800-900 horsepower Supras?

Actually, he was wearing drag radials and got all the Supras off the launch. He did however seem to pull on all but one of the Supras i think.

Originally posted by bigern1970
When a car comes from the factory turbo, it natrually going to have stronger internals. Toyota blocks are some of the strongest blocks from the factory.

I liken nissans block to the (yes im going to say it) honda blocks in that they are aluminun and they have floating cylinders.

When hondas first came out with turbos they had internal problems with high boost as with the Z's

The good news is that I guarantee you there will be Z pumping over 800 and 900 hp in the near future. Just look at the video in the FI forum when PHUNK breaks off not1 or 2 tt supras but a toatal of 5 ( video) and with stock internals.

Peeps never thought Hondas and acuras would pump that much hp

And with the Z having such a great following aftermarket companies are licking their chops for your cold hard cash so you will definitely see Monster 350s soon.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:56 PM
uro279

Originally posted by azrael

- 4 bolt main caps
- more displacement
- much lighter block

Like I said.. the weak points are the open deck and the rods. Both are easily fixed. The VQ is a very capable motor with LOTS of potential. It just takes a little effort to unleash it.
What's an 'open deck' mean?

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Lagtime

Originally posted by azrael

- 4 bolt main caps
- more displacement
- much lighter block

The stock 2JZ block & crank have gone 6.70 at 207 in the Bullish Motorsports Pro Solara. They survive at power levels *far* higher than 900 rwhp.

Your contention that the VQ is more capable will require more than some paper analysis. Only time (and money) will tell if it will ever occupy the same status as the 2JZ (and RB26) do in the pantheon of Japanese engines.

I think you're getting ahead of yourself. Let results speak for themselves. It may prove to be the equal (or better) the 2JZ. Nothing out there yet says so, though.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:26 PM
350Now

I agree only time will tell if the VQ can produce the power. Are you sure the Bullish Solara is using a stock crank? I think it's a billet piece. Also they are producing close to 1600 hp and around 1300 whp. There are some VQ project that i'm aware of that will hit the same power level if the project comes to fruition.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:28 PM
350Now

Originally posted by uro279
What's an 'open deck' mean?

Thanks.
Open deck means we have a cylinder wall that is floating on top and not connected to the block. However it's only the top of the block and that is required to maintain a water jacket for the coolant to go through. By sleeving you can close the top to keep the cylinder from moving on high power levels.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:31 PM
adanande

What is It, a strong Crank, some rod bolts, bearings, Sleves to close the block, some frged pistons, rods, 'c'mon you want strong go aebs, or get the new forged nismo crank. Wow its nothing to be pissy about. Get a hold of yourselves.

well with that said. I think that engine internals wear out and can always be replaced. They are not a concern specially with 900 hp i don't care, its gonna break, the famous supra with 900 hp on stock internals has changed his engine a lot (the reconrd holder for stock internals)

Why are we buying into the hyp. if you got see jdm race cars or top secret street race cars, they all have thrown away the stock internals and have gone super strong,

who cares about how strong the internals were if i just threw them into the trash can?

The only way to have a stable 800 or thousan horsepower is to have stronger internals.

If toyota or nissan or any other carmaker made a 100 hp car ro an 800 horsepower car , the internals would be a lot stronger than the 92-97 2jz factory internals. Trust me. Those cars do not drive dailiy with their "Dyno PSI" and they are sort of gimmics, a car that reall can handle 800 horspower will drive with 800 hp all day, in tragffic, in the summer in the winter, and gunn it al l the time. ( Not saying you have to , just laying down the requirements for rliable power)

The cars in fact turn their boost guages down when around town and the internals do not have to even handle the power most of the time,

After a few times of gunning it with full psi (that yields the 800 hp) , the owner quetly changes the worn internal parts before they blow and gets new stock internals, the only reason people do their supra's with stock internals is to set records, because they know real race cars will out compete them if they merge into the next bracket level of strenghtened internals,

If i drove a supra the mods i would do would be as follows, HKS twin Ball bearing turbo's ( based on garrett gt285 RS) then i would purchase a fully built crate engine or fully build the car's engine myself, and i would not even buy a twin trubo model stock, i'd get a cheap five speed N/a , work on my engine and then srop in the sucker.

It would really have 800 hp and i would only use it at the track, ( BIG TRACKS) Thats it. Done
Forgget about it

Same thing with the Z, build the internals, thats how muscle cars used to do it back in the day.

Most supra's don't even have purely stock internals even when they have lower horsepower figures, the max number thet will be reliably supported in ta supra is about 600 hp. You can gun nit and have fun with that, but more than that, you are gong to be playing with your boost guage and trying to fool averyone.

The potential difference is only 200 hp max between the Z and the supra TT

But when both engines are equally built , that does not count enymore, metal is metal, a v^ crank has even more balance and shorter, is it easier to break a long pencil or a shorter one?

The only reason that the supra stronger than the Z from the factory is because it is boosted stock and it is an inline 6, chosen for its smoothness and simplicity of twin turbo applications

(they uised tt's in inline because they first didn't have a way to get low rpm torque like VTEC honda still wouldn't let anyone use it, or they were developing it only for race cars)

The inline approach made it easier to do sequential turbo's

But beacuse they had to sacrifice torional rigidity with an inline (because its longer) they had to make it more rigid, a lot more rigid because their name was on the line. Easy as that

Problem solved.

Now the problem is solved even more,

The z is even more reliable than it ever was with turbo's, and its just as reliable as the supra is stock. All new japanese cars a reliable (except for some cars but usuall sports cars are) They make sure of it. So the question is, what do I do to get 1000 hp.

The complaint is whaaa i want to spen ten cents and get 500 hp mommyy mommy whaa i want an ENZO too.

Wait there will be Z's that are faster, if i recall i didn't even hear anyone blow all this hype arond for the suprah untill Fast and furious came out and it beat the 355 spyder and ll the littel kids realised that the orange car with the nitrous buttons on the sterring wheel is COOOL!!!

So , what the verdict, my advice is this, For anyone who wants a fast Z.

Biuld your engien, get a good turbo kit and Tune it like the supra guys do. Thats it, thats all to it. But when you finally have an 800 hp car, don't blame me for what happens ( tickets exxesive slideng, possible death and loss of handling confidence at anything above half throttle)

oh and speaking of throttle don't forget to reprogram your ecu to open the throttle fully and replace your plenum when you have F/I.
Ok then bye.

My game plan is this, after a few years of drivine i am going to decide whether to keep the car, i think the gtr , or a faster future Z will be the way to go, or maybe intercchnageable parts will aid the expedition
Old 09-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Lagtime

adanande, way too much misinformation in your post.

600 hp upper limit for stock 2JZ
Total nonsense.

After "gunning it" a few times owners "quietly replace" their internals
More complete nonsense.

If i drove a supra the mods i would do would be as follows, HKS twin Ball bearing turbo's ( based on garrett gt285 RS) then i would purchase a fully built crate engine or fully build the car's engine myself, and i would not even buy a twin trubo model stock, i'd get a cheap five speed N/a , work on my engine and then srop in the sucker.
No one who owns a Supra agrees that starting with a non-turbo is a good choice.

Most supra's don't even have purely stock internals even when they have lower horsepower figures
Still more uninformed nonsense.

Biuld your engien, get a good turbo kit and Tune it like the supra guys do. Thats it, thats all to it.
If only it were that easy. No one makes 800 rwhp cheaply or easily, not even Supras.

Quick Reply: 800-900 horsepower Supras?