Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

800-900 horsepower Supras?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Kumacho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800-900 horsepower Supras?

It would seem to me that the Zcar engine is vastly more refined and advanced over the TT Supra engines.

So why is it there are literally thousands of 800-900 hp Supras around and I have yet to hear of a single 350 laying down that kind of HP?

Is there something that is keeping Z's from making those huge numbers? Is the reason that the Z has not been out that long? I'm really curious about this. Sure seems like our cars should be capible of producing equal or better numbers than the Supra did.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Zenvy

Default Re: 800-900 horsepower Supras?

Originally posted by Kumacho
It would seem to me that the Zcar engine is vastly more refined and advanced over the TT Supra engines.

So why is it there are literally thousands of 800-900 hp Supras around and I have yet to hear of a single 350 laying down that kind of HP?

Is there something that is keeping Z's from making those huge numbers? Is the reason that the Z has not been out that long? I'm really curious about this. Sure seems like our cars should be capible of producing equal or better numbers than the Supra did.
well...we do have an aluminum engine block and our internal components are just not as good as theirs...our cars just handle better stock vs. stock
Old 09-09-2004, 12:05 AM
shinz

give it time and you will Z more Z's pumping out more power. I dont know how many would be in the 800-900 range though.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:10 AM
350zJIM

Default Re: 800-900 horsepower Supras?

Originally posted by Kumacho

The supra is more than 10 years old and can handle a lot more power than our block stock
Old 09-09-2004, 12:13 AM
kudos

Originally posted by shinz
give it time and you will Z more Z's pumping out more power. I dont know how many would be in the 800-900 range though.
Precisely
Old 09-09-2004, 03:18 AM
97modman

well...we do have an aluminum engine block and our internal components are just not as good as theirs...our cars just handle better stock vs. stock

As far as the Handling I would say the supra handles better...the supra stock puts down a 0.98 lateral g for 1993 the other car that can do that was the FD RX7..
Old 09-09-2004, 08:29 AM
SpeedworksT78

I think the 350Z has a ton of potential and will easily make it to the 800-900 horsepower range........just give the aftermarket time. I'm sure there will be some sleeves released for the block and with the stroking options already available for the 350's it's only a matter of time. I really think once the engine management gets a little more advance (AEM, etc.) you will see some huge gains in hp numbers. The Z's aftermarket is moving much much faster than the Supra one ever did. They still don't make rear end gearing for the Supra =(.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:53 AM
D@ActiveTuning

The Supra engine is one of the best built ever in terms of handling a ton of power. The internals and block is awesome....but even though they can handle so much power, they are not really considered a drag car.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:14 PM
azrael

The VQ block is superior to the 2JZ-GTE in every way. The rods and sleeves, however, are not.

A sleeved VQ with forged rods and 9:1 CR forged pistons will easily handle 800, 900, 1000+ HP. You will see cars doing this very soon. The biggest hole in the aftermarket right now is engine management, and there are semi-custom solutions available for the daring (TEC-3, Motec, etc), with more solutions on the way (AEM EMS, HKS FCON V PRO).

For the record, I think the number of 800+ HP street supras on the planet is probably less than 100, definitely not the thousands.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:31 PM
KrazY-2K

Supra's 2JZ engines are just a marvel and can handle tons of power. I'm sure the Z will catch up in a year or two... just give the aftermarket some time to saturate. Didn't an AEBS guy say our block was stronger than a Supra's?
Old 09-09-2004, 01:07 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

$20,000 spent on the VQ might get you 600HP.

Then the heads and manifolds kick in as limitations on breathing.

I'm not convinced our tranny is any good (mine took a $hit today) and then there is the rear differential to worry about.

My opinion is that the 350Z will always be middle-of-the road unless you have unlimited resources.

V8 swap anyone?
Old 09-09-2004, 02:41 PM
SpeedworksT78

Another good thing about the Supra........basically indestructable transmission and a tough rear diff. at least with the rear speed stuff.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:13 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 97modman
As far as the Handling I would say the supra handles better...the supra stock puts down a 0.98 lateral g for 1993 the other car that can do that was the FD RX7..
Old 09-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Orange Peel

1000 hp Dyno queens that still get jacked by 600 hp Mclaren F1's hahahahah See what's up with that? One MIllion DOlllars!!! hahahah. McLaren F1 Still number one in my Book, I'l buy one USed for 500 thousand hahahahhahahaha!!!! In Auto trader. hehe
Or Dupont Registry the rich version of Auto Trader, haha
Old 09-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Kumacho

Originally posted by Orange Peel
1000 hp Dyno queens that still get jacked by 600 hp Mclaren F1's hahahahah See what's up with that? One MIllion DOlllars!!! hahahah. McLaren F1 Still number one in my Book, I'l buy one USed for 500 thousand hahahahhahahaha!!!! In Auto trader. hehe
Or Dupont Registry the rich version of Auto Trader, haha
I'm sorry? hahahaha What does that have to do with building stronger Z motors? hahahahaha My guess is that if your posting style includes "hahahahahaha" after every sentence and you can't keep on topic, you will never be able to afford a used Mclaren. Hahahahahahaha

My guess is everyone on these forums know what the Dupont Registry is.

I hate to burst your bubble there laughing boy, but there are several Supra that are just as quick as a million dollar Mclaren. They are just not as sexy.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:27 PM
kzshin

A sleeved VQ with forged rods and 9:1 CR forged pistons will easily handle 800, 900, 1000+ HP.
yeah, but how much is that going to cost, not to mention labor cost?? and with the same amount money on Supra, the Supra might already pumps out 800 hp.

I am sure if money is not concerned anything can happend. But the point is, Some engines (RB26, 2JZ, SR20, 3SGTE, 4G63s) can achieve so much with so little. On the other hand, our Z only achieve so little with so much money.

Z has lots of potential, espeicially in handling. However, it is not power moster.

give it time and you will Z more Z's pumping out more power.
I doubt the above statement will be still true, when GTR released in 2007. I think most of company will focus on GTR at the time. Just like when you see major aftermarket catalog from Japan. GTR always has alot more parts then any other cars from Japan.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:55 PM
azrael

every motor you mentioned was factory boosted.

even with that caveat -- the RB26, the motor everyone loves to talk about, usually gives up its rods around 650 HP.

Unsleeved, but with forged pistons/rods, it will soon prove to be fairly easy to hit 500-600+ RWHP with a Z. To hit these levels of power, Supras also need at least $6k+ invested. The bonus is, at that power level, the VQ will have lots more low-end torque to play with, making it a better street vehicle.

If making 1000 HP on a stock block is your game, then I guess you're looking at the wrong car. Then again, 1000 HP is a great wet dream for testosterone laden guys that have never tried to drive such a beast. I've known several of Supra owners that built a ridiculous monster Supra and then sold it because they couldn't drive it anymore. Too much power.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:22 PM
kzshin

every motor you mentioned was factory boosted.
what's wrong with that?? Part of this thread is regarding 2JZGTE. Which is factory turbo. The person who started this thread didn't say non-factory boosted only.

Unsleeved, but with forged pistons/rods, it will soon prove to be fairly easy to hit 500-600+ RWHP with a Z
yeah, everyone knows that , but the money you spend on this portion alone, is probably enough to hit 500 to 600 hp with a SUPRA.

The bonus is, at that power level, the VQ will have lots more low-end torque to play with, making it a better street vehicle.
How do you know?? different type of turbo yield different kinda of low end power. Stock to Stock, VQ do have good low end torque. but after mod, it really depends on how you mod the engine.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:26 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by azrael
The VQ block is superior to the 2JZ-GTE in every way. The rods and sleeves, however, are not.

A sleeved VQ with forged rods and 9:1 CR forged pistons will easily handle 800, 900, 1000+ HP. You will see cars doing this very soon. The biggest hole in the aftermarket right now is engine management, and there are semi-custom solutions available for the daring (TEC-3, Motec, etc), with more solutions on the way (AEM EMS, HKS FCON V PRO).

For the record, I think the number of 800+ HP street supras on the planet is probably less than 100, definitely not the thousands.
What do you base any of the above statements on other that pulling them out of your ***?
Old 09-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Kumacho

I do not mind lacking some HP. If I want brute HP/TQ I'll drive my SS. I've not had the chance to Dyno it since the latest batch of mods (I got sent overseas to a remote island where I can't have a car). Right now I have a stroker kit waiting for the SS.

I have driven cars with a lot of Horsepower and as a youngster roadraced Motorcycles. So I'm not a stranger to high power to weight ratios.

I have been an Automotive enthusiast for 30 years. Ever since my first car, a '64 Impala SS and made it into an 11 second car. That car had so much torque I kept cracking windshields on launches!

I am really not looking for a 1000hp beast. In most cars you can never utilize all of that anyway. It's just that eventually I'd like to turn the Z into a monster roadracer. My calculations put the need at around 500-600 hp.

While I made fun of laughing boy, he was right about one thing; there are a lot of 1000hp supra that are nothing more than dyno queens. Very few people have built up 900+ hp supras that can actually use those ponies.

I am just a bit surprised that nobody has made a firebreathing Z yet. I'm sure it will happen and it will probably be a couple of years out. We seem to be at the experimental stages with the Z and manufacturers seem to be in the same stages.

I guess I just need to be patient.

Quick Reply: 800-900 horsepower Supras?