Loud Grinding into Sixth Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 10:46 AM
JimRHIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Grinding into Sixth Gear?

Hey guys/girls(we do have a few more girls on here now, kinda cool),

I'm sad, and worried.... here's why

Lately the car has been acting up when I am shifting from, well any gear, into sixth gear. It is most prevalent when going from 5th to 6th anywhere from 65-75mph.

It feels like a big grind, basically like missing a shift, but I know I am not because I have the clutch all the way in.

Also, I can duplicate it when I am coming to a stop .. say I have the clutch all the way in and I'm going 20mph. If I try to put it into 6th ... GRIND .... not good. It has a good deal of resistance as well.

I spoke to Jason@perf today about it and he is gonna look at it when I get up there for my Nismo kit, so I will report back on it.

Anybody else have this problem? I know 2nd and 3rd were problematic.

Also, I do not have the N2O on the car yet, so the only mods on the car are the plenum and Borla. It has 15,000 miles, and I basically drive like a grandma, so this is a bit dissappointing.

What I am really worried about is what the new tranny (if I need one) is gonna be like.

Are they the same feeling?
Shift as easily?
Do I need to go through another 1000 mile break in period?

Any negatives to getting the tranny replaced?

Thank for reading,
Jim
Old 09-14-2004, 10:55 AM
JFrank

I have the same problem but it doesn't happen all the time, just started. Sometimes if I try to shift from say 4th to 6th it doesn't want to go into gear.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:57 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im starting to have the same problems. I have a appointment this monday. Car has 34k on it and 3rd is really starting to grind.

Here is a link to help you with your questions

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=39553

Laterz
Aceman
Old 09-14-2004, 11:22 AM
MIAPLAYA

Well sometimes mine grinds in third but mainly when I'm racing I mean um...doing some spirited driving my car wont go into sixth. Mainly near red line in fifth I go to put it in 6th and its like I'm hitting the lockout. Wierd.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:54 PM
JimRHIT

Thanks for the link .... looks like a lot more Zs are having trouble than I thought. At least we got Perf. Nissan out here to take care of me if I need it.

I'll keep ya'll posted ...

Jim
Old 09-14-2004, 02:16 PM
cyberz350

Sup man, my Z grinded when going into 6th gear. It wouldn't grind if I paused for a second or so before shifting it into 6th. But regular shifting would cause a grind. I took it to performance nissan and they replaced the tranny the same day, and I picked up my Z the next day. No more grind, didn't notice anything else different.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:21 PM
redline350ZZ

I had these same problem untill I replaced these things........ I got a rouge short shifter.. Nismo shift ****....and the Tilton flywheel/ ceramic/ceramic clutch combo....

Now I dont have any problems with any gear making me believe that one of those parts where to blame.... obviously not the shift **** though.....

My main problem was the 5th to 6th grind with the clutch fully depressed.....heard rumors of a pressure plate issue though.... somewhere on this board a while ago

Jason would know.......

Upgrade to a Tilton.....
Old 09-14-2004, 02:22 PM
JimRHIT

That's exactly what I got going on. .. if I slowly shift, it is cool ... but under normal driving or merging on on ramps, etc ... GRIND

I'm sure Jason will take care me on this one

Gonna try and get it all done when I get my kit put on .. in one day ... or I am sleeping in my car in the parking lot at Performance lol
Old 09-14-2004, 02:23 PM
JimRHIT

I would upgrade to a Tilton, I just can't see spending $600+ on install after spending $1000+ on the setup .... thats mucho dinero dude
Old 09-14-2004, 03:15 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by JimRHIT
I would upgrade to a Tilton, I just can't see spending $600+ on install after spending $1000+ on the setup .... thats mucho dinero dude
Go with the JWT. You can get the flywheel for like ~$380 and clutch for about the same. Then its just install. Let me know cuz I gots even bigger hookups at Mossy these days.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:21 PM
JimRHIT

still though ... they gotta drop the tranny to install it .... grr .... this car costs too much ... I want a muuusstanng

riighhhhtt
Old 09-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Gmike

Transmission replaced for bad 6th gear syncro one week ago. 12280 miles on 2003 G35. Exact same conditions,very slow shift ok, and gear into 6th with normal shift - grinding...

It appears Nissan still has a syncro problem with this tranny. We need to track failures as the problem may not be fixed yet, special section of the forum, and need to make sure we have recourse if tranny's start failing after warranty is out...
Old 09-15-2004, 08:16 PM
seanrulz

Hmm. I think I had a little similar issue with my 5th gear when my car was practically brand spanking new. When I shift from 4th to 5th at near redline, it doesn't exactly grind, but 5th gear doesn't wanna go in even though I had my clutch fully depressed. It didn't happen that often but definitely happened repeatedly. But after I got my RE short shifter, the symptom was gone. (Well, I wonder you won't have that many chance to shift from 4th to 5th at redline cuz then you are already going over 110mph.)
Hope it can be resolved easily, but if it's the tranny problem, then get the new tranny and drop new clutch and flywheel! You can save those $600 labor!
Old 09-16-2004, 03:30 AM
pyroteknix

My car was making horrible grinding noises going into 6th from any gear at any speed.

Initially diagnosed as a faulty 6th gear synchro but Nissan don't have a tranny replacement policy in the UK and the parts were 2 months backordered.

Nissan agreed to take my box out and strip it down, entirely, making a list of the replacement parts. If they were all backordered, they'd replace the entire box.

I took my car in, they took my box out and to pieces, only to find that there was no damage or wear on the gearbox, at all. The problem was caused by a seriously worn clutch.

The clutch isn't warrantied, in the UK, so they forced me to pay for the entire stripdown and rebuild of my car before they'd let me have it back.

I replaced the clutch with a tilton and haven't had any problems with 6th, since.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:11 PM
ZDreamZ

Mt car is now having problems in 5th. The clutch is fully depressed and I feel a bit of resistance, like a small grind shifting from 4th to 5th over 5500rpm. Car has 25,000 miles and I had my transmission replaced at 8,000 miles for 3rd gear grind. Is this a tranny issure or more of a clutch/pressure plate thing?
Old 09-18-2004, 08:30 AM
Dissident

I get it intermittently, too... But, it will just be another "dealer cannot replicate" problem if I take it to anyone in SD. Let us know if you get it fixed...
Old 09-21-2004, 11:38 AM
skandalousZ

I don't get the 6th gear grind, but into 1st or 2nd I get it all the freakin time. Say I'm slowing down to a roll, want to down shift into 2nd or 1st, it grinds a LOT unless rpm's are real low. Also, it's real hard for me to get into 2nd at high rpm's from a launch. I can't just quickly shift between 1->2 any more. The clutch can be fully depressed and I can't get into 2nd it seems like.

Luckily, 15k miles on the tach, should be able to get it fixed under warranty, correct?
Old 09-21-2004, 12:05 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I just got a new transmission. Took the dealer 7 days. Dealer told me Nissan must approve it (and they had to order it).

Afterwards, dealer told me I had a broken/bent shift fork and lost the connection between the shifter and all the gears.

The new transmission works great.

I can't help but wonder if the new one will eventually fail.

I purchased a AAA membership (don't want to be stranded again).
Old 09-24-2004, 01:26 PM
sisco534

THIS SOUNDS LIKE SYNCRONIZER PROBLEMS SORRY DONT KNOW HOW IT IS SPELLED , I HAD THIS HAPPEN TO MY Z28 IT WAS STILL UNDER WARRANTY SO THEY REPLACED THEY SYNC'S NOT THE WHOLE TRANNY , I HAVENT HAD THIS PROB YET (KNOCK ON WOOD)....
Old 09-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a 5-6th gear grind when the tranny was cold. Got it replaced by the dealer.

Quick Reply: Loud Grinding into Sixth Gear?