Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

the next best mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Zendem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the next best mod

I currently just have a jwt pop charger.My question is whats the next best mod for under $1,500 dollars that i can do for my 350?I havent gone to the track yet but i want to go after i get my next mod, i want to go and be a little beefed up when i make my first appearance at the track.thanks for any suggestions
Old 09-15-2004, 07:13 PM
isugoo

suspesion or exhaust maybe.
if you want to autocross your z, go with suspension or if you want nice sound street performance car, go with exhaust.

1.5k is little low to get new sets of wheels unless you buy used track model wheels/tire combos.

let us know whatever you decide to go with.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Zendem

isugoo thanks for the info but 1 thing i forgot to mention was that i wanted to keep the exhaust stock to keep the genuine Z sound or else thats a no brainer as far as the next mod i mean most people always go with the intake then exhaust...keeping my exhaust stock any other ideas you guys have would be very appreciated
Old 09-15-2004, 08:49 PM
AV630

I would get Test pipes, Nitrous, and a crank pulley and call it a day.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Zendem

whats the average cost of test pipes and a crank pulley?
Old 09-16-2004, 11:26 AM
ChrisMCagle

I'd go with a Plenum and High Flow cats for an immediate noticible power increase.

-Chris
Old 09-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

well if he wants to keep the Z sound you can't do any of that. They will alter the sound and test pipes will make it louder and raspier.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Sins4u33

kinetix plenum, high flow cats RT (will change exhaust note alittle), and TS ECU reflash set those revs up to 7k its fun being able to rev that high

Ben
Old 09-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Orange Peel

ok don't listen to anyone that suggests a crank Pulley.

A crank pulley only gives you 5 hp and seriously messes up the harmaonic balance of you car because the factory crank pulley comes with a harmonic bancer, and the weight is needed.

If you wan't to get weight off the crank, there are only two flywheels that are low inertia enough and are worth the change. Other flywheel and clutch combo's might be light, but most of their weight is on the perimeter giving them high inertia.

(MOI moment of inertia)

Ok , theses are the exedy clutch and flywheel (which makes less noise) and the tilton. THere is a new purely street setpu, ask about it from jason at performance nissan.

The Tilton supposedly gives you an equivalent of 30 whp under heavy acceleration and drastically reduces the drivetrain loss of the car.

These mods do not effect balance or engine braking.

The engine is internally balanced and stablized with help of the crank pulley.

and also these flywheels are low inertia.

JWT flywheels have been reported to add inerita and take a way engine breaking.
some have evn said that adding an additiona UR crank pulley has added to the loss of engine breaking. Those mods are not good.

as for plenums and cats, they are too expensive and they won't make any difference with respect to the driving charactersitics of your car as much as a tilton.

IF you get the tilton, get an engine torque dampener as well.

there is lots of energy stored in our flywheels, we need to harvest it, its easy to get used to driving it too after a while, my las car had a super light flywhee, it just Yanked everytime i hit the gas, LIke CRAZY. it definetly complements the cammy midrange N/A nature of the Z.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:37 PM
Strife350z

agree with what orange peel said...

I had about 2000 bucks and I was going to get cats, plenum and a y-pipe... those mods would minimize the change in the Z's stock sound and add a decent amount of power... but after a lot of research and help from peple on the forum, it seems like it just isn't worth it... for each of these mods, I would have to tune the ECU to handle the new A/F ratios

of course I could do it all in one shot and have it tuned... but the feeling of being forced to tune my ECU again for adding something as simple as a muffler in the future just turned me off to the whole thing

IMO you should go with a clutch/flywheel or light weight pulley but with pulleys you get the problem mentioned above: lack of harmonic dampening...

you could also consider running super light weight 17s... gramlight 57c's are feather weight and would give you a significant handling/acceleration gain over stock 17/18s
Old 09-16-2004, 02:16 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by Orange Peel
A crank pulley only gives you 5 hp and seriously messes up the harmaonic balance of you car because the factory crank pulley comes with a harmonic bancer, and the weight is needed.
Oh God! Here we go again!

This has been discussed to death on far too many other threads. There is no proof that pulleys do any damage to our engines. With that said...

I have the pulleys installed and can honestly not tell any difference in power at all. The only thing that I noticed is that my HP ant TQ graphs are much smoother with the pulley than it was without it.

I wouldn't recommend getting a pulley because there is no noticible "power" increase IMHO. It just smooths things out.

-Chris
Old 09-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Zendem

would it be a good idea to put in a new lighter flywheel as my next mod? since there is so much controversy with the cats pulleys and the y-pipe and plenum?
Old 09-16-2004, 02:54 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by El Zzeta
would it be a good idea to put in a new lighter flywheel as my next mod? since there is so much controversy with the cats pulleys and the y-pipe and plenum?
Well, if you get a flywheel/clutch I would not go with anything but the Tilton setup. But let me ask you this. Have you ever driven a car with a "performance" flywheel and clutch? It is not something that you can have as a daily driver. You basically have to learn how to drive stick all over again. Also, the price is a bit high ($1415.00) Cllick here for more info

It will accellerate like a bat outta hell once you get going, but it will take you a looooong time to get used to launching the car. If you have any type of commute with traffic, don't even consider it.

If you want to go this route, talk to Jason@performance or Jeff@performance about it. They both have the Tilton setup and can tell you all about it firsthand. I have driven Jeff's rocket and the Tilton is REALLY different than the stock clutch setup.

My $0.02

Last edited by ChrisMCagle; 09-16-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Zendem

wow that sounds crazy well the way you explained why the hell would anyone get a lighter performance flywheel at all? lol i mean i'm assuming most people here that have there z's are probably using the car as a daily driver or atleast a weekend car. Man i had no idea no i have never driven a real performance car like that and i always use to hear that a good upgrade would be a jwt flywheel or nismo's flywheel.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:50 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by El Zzeta
wow that sounds crazy well the way you explained why the hell would anyone get a lighter performance flywheel at all? lol i mean i'm assuming most people here that have there z's are probably using the car as a daily driver or atleast a weekend car. Man i had no idea no i have never driven a real performance car like that and i always use to hear that a good upgrade would be a jwt flywheel or nismo's flywheel.
Well, the main reason that people get a lighter flywheel is when they go FI. It's not a "must have" mod once you are boosting, but it's definitely at the top of the list.

There are other flywheels out there that let you continue to use your stock clutch, but they are not as light as the Tilton and I can't really say if the power increase is noticible.

Supposedly there is a "Streetable" version of the Tilton clutch that is easier for a Daily Driver, but I haven't heard anything about it yet.

I'd go with a plenum and high flow cats and call it a day. You'll be looking at about $729.99 if you go with the KINETIX package.

-Chris
Old 09-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

oh the misinformation that is spread...welcome to the internet
Old 09-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Strife350z

hmm so the titlon 8lb is not streetable? sorry for my ignorance when it comes to this... I've never modified a flywheel/clutch before in any car that i've owned

what would be a streetable setup then, with a reasonable performance gain?

I know the nismo is close to stock, but save only 3 or 4 lbs at the flywheel is probably not going to affect performance much, right?
Old 09-18-2004, 11:22 PM
ReavTek

I heard something that the tilton flywheel should not be used on a Z exceeding 320 whp or soemthing to that effect... Kinda scared me away from it as I have FI plans in my future. I have heard alot of good things about the JUN Flywheel (weighing in at a healthier 14lbs) but really I cant tell you from exp. Right now I have a Tanabe exhaust and UR Pulleys and can say the pulleys made a bigger diff than the cat back exhaust (I got the 3 pc set).
Old 09-19-2004, 07:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Tilton setup is not really driver friendly no....it's too light. For those lookin to extract every once of performance from their car (especially NA but even with mildly boosted setups), its a good unit. Something with a similar concept but a bit heaver will be far easier to drive though.

At a certain point on a turbo car, the light flywheel hurts torque more than it helps it in the upper rpm ranges....not sure what that mark is on this car, but i'd say in the 500 hp area (engine).

Some flywheels also do not include everythign needed to install them.....make sure your intended choise does, or plan on factoring those items in as well

I am running the OS Giken setup in my car - single disk clutch with integrated flywheel. It weighed 25 lbs for the whole clutch/flywheel assembly...a significant difference from stock.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:47 AM
eazy

Ok , theses are the exedy clutch and flywheel (which makes less noise) and the tilton. THere is a new purely street setpu, ask about it from jason at performance nissan.

The Tilton supposedly gives you an equivalent of 30 whp under heavy acceleration and drastically reduces the drivetrain loss of the car.

These mods do not effect balance or engine braking.
What are you smoking dude? A lightweight fly/clutch such as the tilton undoubtedly amplifies engine braking. Surely you made a typo?

Quick Reply: the next best mod