Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ATS clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 09:15 PM
HankVQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATS clutch

I was wondering if anyone has the 9 inch ATS twin disk carbon clutch w/ 9 lb. flywheel installed on their car and if so please give a review thanks.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Ellas1

I have the triple disc carbon ats clutch and it's the best clutch I ever had... Other than a little clatter on idle the clutch feels
almost like stock.... I went with the triple because it is much easier to slip than the twin... I live in NYC and didn't want a on/off switch....
Old 09-20-2004, 08:37 PM
HankVQ

Do you think the triple would be over kill on an N/A Z (with nitrous) , I see you got the TT setup. No turbos for me, yet.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:18 AM
G3po

Default ATS

Originally posted by Ellas1
I have the triple disc carbon ats clutch and it's the best clutch I ever had... Other than a little clatter on idle the clutch feels
almost like stock.... I went with the triple because it is much easier to slip than the twin... I live in NYC and didn't want a on/off switch....
I am considering this option as well for use on a low comp APS setup.

WRT" it's the best clutch I ever had... " probably the most expensive as well .

I'm curious, does the clutch stink much when slipped much?
Old 09-21-2004, 10:27 AM
G3po

Default ATS

Ellas another question , did you opt fro the "soft triple" version?
What pressure rateing?
Thanx
Old 09-21-2004, 11:27 AM
GY-Z

how long do u have it?
Old 09-25-2004, 11:17 AM
Ellas1

I have had the clutch for a little over 8 months now with about 3000 miles.... I did get the softest pressure plate....
Old 09-25-2004, 12:46 PM
lovetoclown

when you say it's like stock, are you talking about stock pedal presure or stock daily driving feal and slippage? thanks
Old 09-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pedal effort is very light with the ATS'
Old 09-25-2004, 10:36 PM
daddyz

How much was the triple set up?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:58 AM
ZxRage

I would be interested to know this as well.

To me the important things with a carbon/carbon clutch is the holding power, i.e. how much Flywheel HP/TQ can it hold? What is the pedal effort like when starting from a stopped position? How much weight is eliminated with the new clutch/flywheel? And lastly, how much?

If you could answer those questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:09 AM
G3po

Default ATS grip

Originally posted by ZxRage
I would be interested to know this as well.

To me the important things with a carbon/carbon clutch is the holding power, i.e. how much Flywheel HP/TQ can it hold? What is the pedal effort like when starting from a stopped position? How much weight is eliminated with the new clutch/flywheel? And lastly, how much?

If you could answer those questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
According to the ATS site , the "lowest effort and softest" triple carbon will hold 800 crank hp. This is the "most streetable".
If you stiffen the pedal by 50% (same cost) it will hold 1000 crank hp. I would assume that 800crank is more than adequate for most (especially those with the OEM bottom end and FI. Very big boost and serious drag racing would push you into the ~1000 crank version.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:28 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to bring up an older thread, but is the triple clutch easier to drive?

According to the Z1 auto site, the triple is "not for the faint of heart. Not recommended for street cars"

that statement seems to contradict what's being said here.

Which is it?

I'm thinking of getting this clutch since my tilton is breaking on me
Old 01-09-2005, 05:41 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the triples are the easiest to drive overall, followed by the twin and then the single being the "grabbiest". The triple will also be the noisest clutch due to the fact that it has 3 disks

Edited our site...it should not have said that for the triples, sorry !
Old 01-09-2005, 04:21 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sentry65
I'm thinking of getting this clutch since my tilton is breaking on me
Your Tilton is breaking on you?

This is a first... mind giving us some more details?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:57 PM
sentry65
the burninator

well it's not really "breaking"

but the throwout rod is all screwed up now cause the spring i'm sure is jacked.

performance nissan installed a pedal stop in my car and said it really helps with driving and also helps the clutch last longer.

Well about a week ago, I was on the highway going on an off ramp. The clutch literally got stuck all the way pushed in. I sorta almost paniced cause it was rush hour and how was I supposed to shift gears and drive?

I ended up having to force the gears to shift a couple times on the shifter. Eventually I was able to pull the clutch back out with my foot, but that scared the crap out of me and just pissed me off. Now my car makes a broken sound when sitting idle in neutral. You can tell something is wrong and I can swear it's much harder to drive now as well.

I was starting to get irritated at how it drives anyway so I'm wanting a new clutch. I love how the car revs and how it drives when you get going. The noise really is starting to irritate me now (just the normal clutch noise - not including the broken noise) I'm 25 and feel I can handle a lot of compromises in sound and drivability for the sake of performance, but the noise is starting to irritate me on the streets now - always having to be above 2500rpms no matter what. The fact that it's so twitchy - it drops revs so quick. I really am starting to miss the momentum the stock clutch had - probably cause of this being a 7" clutch/flywheel.

I'm going to be selling it on ebay in the near future - about 2000 miles of use on it
Old 01-10-2005, 04:37 PM
PhoenixINX

Eh, I love mine and swear by it... have been running it for several thousand miles.

Small sacrifices for massive gains!

Interesting about how your pedal went to the floor... you sure it what was blamed, and not your fluid boiling? That sounds more like what it was! What was the driving conditions? Traffic? Lots of heat?

Not uncommon for header equipped cars.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:01 PM
sentry65
the burninator

ok well tonight i realized something.

I didn't have my pedal stop set where it needed to be set.

It was too far to the floor which makes it 100x harder to drive.

Also I think the guy who installed the pedalstop didn't get it aligned very well cause I think that's what caused the clutch to get stuck - the clutch got stuck on the side of the bolt from the pedal stop. Not only that, but something IS unquestionalbly broken or not working right now cause while in neutral - it makes all sorts of annoying racket. My tuner said he thinks it sounds like something is wrong with the throwout rod...

I'm going to be contacting jason about this, cause the clutch has like 2000 miles on it and about a month of use on it and crap is already breaking cause it wasn't installed right.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:07 PM
PhoenixINX

racket... as in a LOT of rattling? Sounds normal to me!

Could you record the sound? For someone whom has never installed something like this, it would sound like something is broken.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:10 PM
sentry65
the burninator

no this isn't normal - i've had 2 people make comments about it after hearing my car before it started making the sound. It literally sounds like there's a chain in the transmission rattling around - i mean, it's LOUD - only at idle. Much louder than before.

performance nissan installed it

my tuner said it sounds like the throw out rod - like the spring isn't even working anymore. A tech at performance nissan warned me that the spring could come lose if the clutch goes down to the floor a lot - like without the pedal stop. I'm thinking that's what happened

Quick Reply: ATS clutch