Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2nd gear grinding....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 12:37 PM
uplz4588

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear grinding....

when i drive my car while its still a little cold... whenever i shift into second it seems like the gears are grinding, no sound comes up juss the shifter feels like it goes in hops out and then goes back in.... usually it goes away when it warms up, but it still sometimes happens... im worried that it may be the tranny.... but i have an 04... its kindof a hard thing to explain but hopefully its nothing

BTW... how do i check if i have an 03.5 or 04? build date? so i no if im gonna be able to get a TS reflash and hopefully not have as many problems as the 03
Old 09-24-2004, 01:04 PM
daddyz

I have an 04 and it does the same thing. How many miles do you have on yours?
Old 09-24-2004, 01:26 PM
SandMan

I replaced mine not too long ago. It happens when cold, then goes away when warmed up. Call a good local dealership and have them replace it. If you are in good terms with the dealership they shouldn't have any problems. But some might give you some bull saying you don't have any grind.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:06 PM
uplz4588

daddyZ i have 2045 miles on it... that is why im worried and sandman... u mean get a new tranny!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!!
Old 09-24-2004, 07:16 PM
daddyz

I have 5000 on mine!
Old 09-25-2004, 05:07 PM
mdacko

i took mine to the dealership...said I had no grind and that it was driver error. even though everyone ive let drive the car feels it. I hope your dealership is nicer than mine...
Old 09-26-2004, 05:21 PM
uplz4588

for now i juss do i 1-3 upshift until the car warms up... im going to go to the dealer soon though hopefully they can take care of it
Old 09-26-2004, 06:12 PM
SandMan

You need to schedule a checkup. They will run it see if they find a grind. It will go easier if you know the dealership well. If you aren't friends with the dealership it might be harder to get it replaced. Just like mdacko said, they might just play it off like it's your fault and not the tranny.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:18 PM
Nforce1

I took mine in last week for this exact problem.... of course... they could not replicate the problem...
Old 02-19-2005, 05:54 AM
myehrick09

I hear the same thing too when shifting to 2nd on a clod start. I went to the dealership here and told me the same thing........could not replicate the problem. I think this is bull!
Old 02-19-2005, 10:06 PM
bugz

Default COME ON, Need all ur HELP~~!!! PLZ

OKAY, someone with the same problem or experience, plz HELP~~~

I have a very very weird and LOUD sound (not sure it's grinding sound, when the car is cold. it happens everyday, every morning , it happens when i go over 20 mph ( over sec gear). the sound disappear after 3 minutes driving, and u wont be able to hear it for the rest of the day.... next morning, same sound again~!!! the noise is very noticable, but by the time i arrived the dealer, the noise is gone..... so i cant show them the problem.... someone please help me out, or maybe let me know wut to do. oh, i live in S.CA, Irvine can someone recommand me a NICE dealer ?? my dealer does not want to take my car because of my body kit, they said it's too low and not able to lift... ( i did not drop da car, kit only)..... plz help, thank you so much
Old 02-19-2005, 11:57 PM
paso007

Default Re: COME ON, Need all ur HELP~~!!! PLZ

Originally posted by bugz

I have a very very weird and LOUD sound (not sure it's grinding sound, when the car is cold. it happens everyday, every morning , it happens when i go over 20 mph ( over sec gear). the sound disappear after 3 minutes driving, and u wont be able to hear it for the rest of the day.... next morning, same sound again~!!! the noise is very noticable, but by the time i arrived the dealer, the noise is gone..... so i cant show them the problem.... someone please help me out, or maybe let me know wut to do. oh, i live in S.CA, Irvine can someone recommand me a NICE dealer ?? my dealer does not want to take my car because of my body kit, they said it's too low and not able to lift... ( i did not drop da car, kit only)..... plz help, thank you so much

I think that sound is coming from ur oil pressure. When it warms up it goes away. try to change gears at low RPMs when u first drive ur car in the morning until it warms up. I have the same problem but only in the winter and because im using 20W-50 engine oil. I will soon switch to Mobil 1 10W-40 wich should fix this problem.

As for the second gear grinding, I have that problem too on 04 track Z. Be very very slow and delicate in changing gear to 2nd when the car is not warm. What i do is go for about 4k rpm on first gear then I press the clutch.. go in nuetral gear.. wait a second for the rpm to go down to almost 1K.. then gently pop into 2nd gear.. and viola!! no grinding.. but may need a little extra push to get into gear.. then slowly release the clutch.

When the car is warm this problem is gone. I think these problems will go away when i get mobil 1 10W-40 cause the car should warm up faster.

Last edited by paso007; 02-20-2005 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:55 AM
mpol99

Originally posted by Nforce1
I took mine in last week for this exact problem.... of course... they could not replicate the problem...
I HATE when that happens! Hahahaha

That happened to me twice with other things.

With the 2nd gear grinding, I had to replicate it to the tech the first time (on the 3rd try it grinded & they gave me a new trans). Mine did it during redline shifts.

The 2nd trans started grinding too. This time, they took my word for it & gave me a new one. The 3rd transmission has not been grinding (knock on wood, haha)
Old 02-21-2005, 02:40 AM
bugz

who knows a good dealer in S. CA

i need Help, but my dealer gives me a lot of sxxt...

they cannot lift my car up too.

anyone know good dealer that can lift low car ??
Old 02-21-2005, 02:42 AM
bugz

wut do u mean oil pressure exactly ?? why does it cause sound ?? u mean the oil too low or too high??

i am using 10-40 oil....... = =

i dont think oil type make differnce on this sound....
Old 02-21-2005, 02:57 AM
paso007

wut do u mean oil pressure exactly ?? why does it cause sound ?? u mean the oil too low or too high??

i am using 10-40 oil....... = =

i dont think oil type make differnce on this sound....
When the car is still cold while accelerating as u reach high rpm u will notice your oil pressure gauge almost reaching 120... making a sound that comes from ur oil pressure going too high. This goes away when the car is warm.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:56 AM
bugz

mine is going over 120 now

wut should i do.............. OMG....
Old 02-23-2005, 02:25 AM
paso007

mine is going over 120 now

wut should i do.............. OMG....
When ur car is warm it should not go anywhere near 120. u should take ur Z to the service center.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:47 PM
tractng

Paso007,

This is what i do too!1 Haha.

"As for the second gear grinding, I have that problem too on 04 track Z. Be very very slow and delicate in changing gear to 2nd when the car is not warm. What i do is go for about 4k rpm on first gear then I press the clutch.. go in nuetral gear.. wait a second for the rpm to go down to almost 1K.. then gently pop into 2nd gear.. and viola!! no grinding.. but may need a little extra push to get into gear.. then slowly release the clutch."
Old 03-01-2005, 10:58 AM
JonathanG35

Default Re: COME ON, Need all ur HELP~~!!! PLZ

i have the same problem. drop it off after they close and have them take it out the next morning. THen they will hear the noise and feel the grind. Mine is outta warranty so I am screwed if my tranny dies again.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear grinding....