Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

7200rpm redline

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 04:26 PM
GY-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7200rpm redline

can stock valve spring have the ability to go with a 7200 redline?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:22 PM
axxizzer

yes
just dont hold it there for too long or get it there too often and youl be fiiiinneee
Old 10-08-2004, 08:31 PM
GY-Z

so it sure wont be suitable for track use then.?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:19 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would upgrade the rob bolts if you are planning on regular 7200rpm visits. Based on info from other 350z racers a local production class team here races with these changed and they also change them in the NISMO S1 engine package because they are the first things to go.

Ive asked the manager here the same question and he thinks the stock springs should be fine for these RPM but if you are running big lift then changing the valve springs would be required.

Last edited by mchapman; 10-08-2004 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:35 PM
axxizzer

oh its great for the track, but just dont hold it at 7200 for too long man

THe engine suffers lots of wear at that speed, just get it, but dont hold it at 7200 for 30 seconds
Old 10-08-2004, 11:05 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by axxizzer
oh its great for the track, but just dont hold it at 7200 for too long man

THe engine suffers lots of wear at that speed, just get it, but dont hold it at 7200 for 30 seconds
i know getting there isnt a problem and hold it tehre for 30 sec is bad
i am just wondering if i redlined it to 7200 redline very often, will the engine exert this kinds of pressure properly?in other word, will the engine life decrease if i often put the engine in this kinds of situation.(of coz, i wont stay at 7200rpm )
Old 10-08-2004, 11:06 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by mchapman
I would upgrade the rob bolts if you are planning on regular 7200rpm visits. Based on info from other 350z racers a local production class team here races with these changed and they also change them in the NISMO S1 engine package because they are the first things to go.

Ive asked the manager here the same question and he thinks the stock springs should be fine for these RPM but if you are running big lift then changing the valve springs would be required.
some how i think it is safer to change the valve spring too, but its kinda stupid to just swap a valve spring.the installation is gonna be a hazzel.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:41 AM
mchapman

You only need to change the valve spring if there is valve float or because of the high lift cams the spring is getting compressed all the way. If this isnt happening then upgrading is a waste of money and power. With the increased friction from the stronger springs you will loose some power and it will also increase the wear on the cams and associated components. These downsides are normally out-weighed by the gains of the high lift/long duration cams. If your not running cams then you wont see the benefits.

The NISMO S1 engine does not have upgrading valve springs and its RPM is set to 7100-7200rpm. I think this is a very good indication of what is required as NISMO has basically designed this engine for track work.

Last edited by mchapman; 10-09-2004 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:20 AM
uro279

What are rod bolts?
Old 10-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the car, especially without headers and cams or FI, does not even pull storngly that high. I would not even bother revving that high till you have the engine mods to make it worthwhile
Old 10-09-2004, 01:30 PM
GY-Z

mchapman:
so ur saying that stock engine can exert and stress on the 7200 redlind properly even i'll visit it frequently?
z1:
i know w/o header/cam i wont be getting the benifit on higher the rpm.i am just curious, and trying to plane on if i want rev higher after i got header.any suggestions?

thankg guys
Old 10-09-2004, 03:00 PM
shopdog

Default Re: 7200rpm redline

Originally posted by GY-Z
can stock valve spring have the ability to go with a 7200 redline?
Yes when new, but not forever. The springs do fatigue at high RPM and high lift. In other words, they lose some of their "spring" every time you rev high and hard. Eventually they'll get to the point where you'll have problems with valve float.

Drag racers and circle track racers will change valve springs several times a season to account for this. Even with ordinary street driving, ie only rarely reving to the stock redline, the effective redline should be dropped a few hundred RPM after 30,000 miles, a few hundred more at 60,000 miles, etc.

If you drive in a "spirited" fashion, it is probably a good idea to change valve springs every 50,000 miles or maybe even sooner. Keep an eye on valve spring pressure and height (there are fixtures which let you check this) if you drive in a "spirited" manner, and replace springs when they start to fail to measure up.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I would nto be so quick to replace the springs until you are able to compare the spring rate of the stock ones vs aftermarket ones. I would certainly not go through the time/expense of doing it every 50k...that is just tremendous overkill IMHO.

adam
Old 10-09-2004, 05:50 PM
mchapman

Originally posted by GY-Z
mchapman:
so ur saying that stock engine can exert and stress on the 7200 redlind properly even i'll visit it frequently?
Yes if you upgrade the rod bolts and like shopdog says change other components WHEN they show signs of wear etc. Nothing will run forever, you need to get your car serviced regularly by someone who knows what they are doing and is aware of how you drive the car so they can catch these things before they become a problem.

Big end rod bolts are the bolts that hold the rod together around the crankshaft.

This diagram shows you where the rod bolts are.

Last edited by mchapman; 10-09-2004 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:17 PM
mzack

Why do it? If you want to go that high, better plan on making some major upgrades to you engine first.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Skrill

Originally posted by mzack
Why do it? If you want to go that high, better plan on making some major upgrades to you engine first.
Yeah -- from the plots I have seen -- there is not power up that high in the rev range anyway.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:05 AM
Z350Lover

Z1 & Murray:

With larger cams and VTC (from nismo), what would I need to change at the engine management (ECU) other than the air/fuel ratio? Do I need to change the cam controls as well??? that means only Nismo ECU can be able to handle the changes then if that's the case, or we can set the fixed angel at the VTC to control higher angel cams.

cheers,

richie
Old 10-10-2004, 12:54 AM
mchapman

Originally posted by Z350Lover
Z1 & Murray:

With larger cams and VTC (from nismo), what would I need to change at the engine management (ECU) other than the air/fuel ratio? Do I need to change the cam controls as well??? that means only Nismo ECU can be able to handle the changes then if that's the case, or we can set the fixed angel at the VTC to control higher angel cams.

cheers,

richie
Hi Richie,

With the changed air/fuel ratio you would also need to change the ignition timing but I dont know if cam timing changes are required with the VTC pulley. Adam?
Old 10-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I don't "think" you can manually change the cam timing with the NISMO VTC pullies. My understanding is that in low throttle situations, it advances cam timing on the intake side to compensate for increased lift on larger cams (ie the NISMO race cams, Esprit's, or anything else with significantly more lift than stock).

Before tackling the install on mine, I think I am going to try to enlist the help of my cam maker (who is in Japan) to try to help us understand exactly how the VTC pullies do what they do and what all I'll need to do to compensate, if at all, on the ecu side. I don't know anyone at NISMO directly who can give me this help, so I am hoping that the cam maker can help me shed some light.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Z350Lover

Adam:

What I read from Nismo site about the VTC pulley, they already stated that:

VTC Operation:

Overlap VTC off is at 8 degrees and VTC on is at 58 degrees when the Crank angle is set at 50 degrees.

Does it mean that we need to set that manually?

cheers,

richie

Quick Reply: 7200rpm redline