Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Goal 350hp at the wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 11:44 AM
TwoNosBottles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goal 350hp at the wheels

Like many other 350z owners my goal is to get 350 plus horse at the wheels. How do I do it and where to start. Plus haveing great track times also would be a plus if you know what im sayin.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:05 PM
SvR350z

I would just add a supercharger if I was looking for that kind of power.
Its kind of expensive but as we all know horsepower cost $$$.
I would say with a charger you could reach that goal or at least come darn close.
Just a thought.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:06 PM
TwoNosBottles

So far I have my head set on the titanium exhaust from Amuse the power house company them selves.

Im not really that sure about an HKS roterx but who really is?
Old 10-23-2004, 12:15 PM
NismoKid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can put all the NA mods you want on the car, and it'll cost a **** load of money and won't get you 350rwhp. Supercharging is the most cost-effective way to get that much power. The HKS supercharger is more expensive than some turbo kits so I wouldn't suggest it. Vortec superchargers can get the job done for relatively cheaper price.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:35 PM
TwoNosBottles

So what you mean, theren't any ways possible no one could get 350 whp?
Old 10-23-2004, 12:42 PM
booger

If you dont plan on doing the install . Find a good shop first , talk to them and then decide what system to go with . Vortrech and ATI will get you close to 350whp out of the box [ATI will need extra's ] With a good tune it will get you more than 350whp . You'll be suprised once you get started.......your always looking for more hp.....I broke a piston looking for it. But Im still haven fun doing it . I think after I get the car back on the road , my quest for more hp will be surpressed till I get it all paid for this time
Old 10-23-2004, 12:43 PM
NismoKid

I never said that you can't get 350rwhp. I said getting 350rwhp NA is nearly impossible. 350rwhp FI is pretty easy actually, you'll need about $5,000 for eveything to get that much power.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:19 PM
fernandito7

With a TT setup u would reach that easily. I am putting down 358 at the wheels with my TT.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Zmego1985

I hope to be in the 300 plus NA range when im done with my Z. But im porting and polishing my heads, intake, and intake runner. Also i will be running 1mm larger valves. Last i already have all the mods listed. So the best way to get the hp is supercharging or turbo. I just screwed up on a cam install and bent some valves so i went the porting and polishing route. Im gonna be building the car back up this week.

If anyone is wondering i got the ferrea valve kit for about $1600.
The kits contains 1mm larger stainless steel intake and exhaust valves. Along with stronger springs, retainers, keepers, and shims. If you want a little more power have the shop doing the work put the valves in at a radius cut. Instead of the 3 to 5 angle stock seating.

Wish me luck Glen
Old 10-23-2004, 03:27 PM
TwoNosBottles

Well now Its just a matter to choose between vortech, procharger, HKS, and Stillen for a super charger.

Fernadito how long does the install take on a greddy kit opposed to everything else out their?

And for some reason jimmity criket tells me to go with the rotrex, any suggestions

Last edited by TwoNosBottles; 10-23-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:16 PM
Orange Peel

A car with a tilton flywheel will still pass you at low speeds. With 350 whp, you can't get a tilton street clutch so your next option would be to get an exedy clutch and flywheel. That and any form of forced induction would be pretty sick.

Also, the 350evo gear ratio would be really killer as well. Your car will feel a lot zippier with those little drivetrain mods, oh and might as well get a Quaife. Those differentials are indestructable!!!!!!!

Turbo's are harder on the drivetrain as well and will give you a lot of power to handle, maybe a supercharger would be better.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:43 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

NA impossibility without working on internals!
Old 10-23-2004, 08:09 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by Zmego1985
I hope to be in the 300 plus NA range when im done with my Z. But im porting and polishing my heads,
You will need MUCH larger cams to hit that number... expect low 280s.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Zmego1985

IM SURE ILL BE IN THE 300 RANGE. With all my dam bolt ons i would be near 280. I dont understand how you guys can make comments on something yet not have the job even done. The heads are one of the biggest parts of your engine if they flow better common sense wise it tells you it will gain alot more power. Logically with a good set of ported and polished heads and all the mods i have listed it will work better then to have the mods without the heads done. After all most of the mods run off your HEADS like headers for example!!!

The machine shop doing the job got 20 percent more flow out of my factory heads, but im sure ill gain a small amount of power lol. I find it strange how you guys get a hard on over a plenum and look at ported and polished heads as if its a dam grounding kit.

Last edited by Zmego1985; 10-23-2004 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:31 AM
Balls

IM SURE ILL BE IN THE 300 RANGE... I dont understand how you guys can make comments on something yet not have the job even done.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:24 AM
Zmego1985

No offense to anyone im targeting Phoenix the know it all. Its funny because I IM him and he cant answer any of my questions. His only answer is to ask Doug at crawford bet yet he seems to know it all on here.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:30 AM
zzzya

IM SURE ILL BE IN THE 300 RANGE. With all my dam bolt ons i would be near 280. I dont understand how you guys can make comments on something yet not have the job even done. The heads are one of the biggest parts of your engine if they flow better common sense wise it tells you it will gain alot more power. Logically with a good set of ported and polished heads and all the mods i have listed it will work better then to have the mods without the heads done. After all most of the mods run off your HEADS like headers for example!!!

The machine shop doing the job got 20 percent more flow out of my factory heads, but im sure ill gain a small amount of power lol. I find it strange how you guys get a hard on over a plenum and look at ported and polished heads as if its a dam grounding kit.
He said you would need larger cams, not that 300 isn't possible. It is a little unknown yet just how much power the head work will yield and what cam setup will take advantage of the head work the most. I really hope that you see big gains, but one never knows. Also, you may need ECU adjustments made to get proper A/F ratios if things truly do work for the better. One would think more fuel would need to be added if you really start flowing a lot more air through the system. Again, like I said I hope it all turns out great and that you hit 300+ because I will be all over this if you do
Old 10-24-2004, 07:17 AM
TwoNosBottles

Default Goal 350 hp at the wheels with excellent gas milage

With a Supercharger mpg would be somewhere around the 16/17 oppossed to 19/20 stock with a turbo it would probably somewheres around 23/25 do i have the figures right?
Old 10-24-2004, 08:03 AM
BigRich

hmmm...i read somewhere that stock internals are only good (read reliable) up to 350-400 flywheel horsepower. however, a lot of people on the board seem to have beat that bad rap. anyway, consider what you want to do with the car. if you street it, then just get a blower for the kick in the pants you are looking for - it will be the cheapest, easiest way to have fun. if you track the car, road race or drag, regularly you should consider upgrading the internals as you will push the car more often than not above its 'normal' limits.

-rich
Old 10-24-2004, 08:32 AM
PhoenixINX

No offense to anyone im targeting Phoenix the know it all. Its funny because I IM him and he cant answer any of my questions. His only answer is to ask Doug at crawford bet yet he seems to know it all on here.
The reason I don't give you the time at home is because when I come home I don't want to help someone that is DOUBTING what someone says. You call and spend TONS of time talking to Doug, who tells you what to do... The FIRST thing you do, is IM me and question what he says... even expressing doubt. WTF is that all about? I NEVER talk about things I DON'T know about on here... you NEVER see me lurking in the FI forums spouting non-sense.

Once you started doubting, it was when I cut you off... and did everything BUT block you. You IMed me for nights and nights and nights and night talking MUCHO LOCO!!! Seriously you are a bit over zealous and WAY over thinking things. Doug and I have shared many conversations about you...

One thing you need to learn, and I am MORE than willing to admit... Doug has over three decades under the hood of a car, to my five years... I have MUCH to learn.

Zmego1985... dude... Word of advice, don't **** talk the people that are here to help you. Otherwise you may not find a friendly opinion on the other end. You're a little hot-headed punk kid, and think you know more than you do. God bless I grew out of that stage long enough before I jumped into this car.

Bottom-line... those cams are NOT going to push you there. Just don't want you to be disappointed. Now get over yourself, and quit pissy that you screwed up an install.

Last edited by PhoenixINX; 10-24-2004 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Goal 350hp at the wheels