Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Need dyno expert to interpret my dyno puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 08:06 AM
FairladyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you got the dyno sheet? I dont have any stickers on the a-pillar and I guess your right about the mobil 1. But then I have actually seen dynos of engine oil improving power. Royal purple etc.

Last edited by FairladyZ; 11-02-2004 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:08 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, everyone, for your input thus far. One of you dyno experts with a flair for writing should write a thread entitled "Everything you need to know about dyno-ing your Z". Its something i haven't seen and something that is needed in our knowledge base on this site.
I'm gonna get my pulls SAE corrected and smoothed and repost them on this thread. The ones i posted earlier are STD corrected and jagged, per Michael-Dallas.
ps: lots of people are suggesting reflash, but at $500 a pop, i need absolute, incontrovertible proof that it would make a significant difference. I read an Aussie thread recently that suggested that it didn't improve things much.

Last edited by Z BOY; 11-02-2004 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:18 AM
axxizzer

get crawford package, lots of power

TS ecu after that
Old 11-03-2004, 03:10 PM
QuantumZ

I think the A/F ratio is the biggest issue which is leading to the tuning theory. N/A cars don't make the most power at stoich. The mods are leaning the car out (among other things) and losing power. Get it tuned.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Home of the Dynapack Dyno
Old 11-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by QuantumZ
I think the A/F ratio is the biggest issue which is leading to the tuning theory. N/A cars don't make the most power at stoich. The mods are leaning the car out (among other things) and losing power. Get it tuned.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Home of the Dynapack Dyno
Mark,
By "tuned" i assume you mean a reflash, right? If so, are you saying that in order to determine how much power my mods are truly producing, i must spend $500+ for a reflash, plus the cost of a dyno pull EACH TIME I ADD A MOD??? Why did the ypipe show improvement immediately and not the cats or the popcharger?
Matt
ps: my dyno guy is at sema, but when he returns, i'll get and post the sae-corrected graphs of the hp, tq, and a/f.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:10 AM
QuantumZ

Originally posted by Z BOY
Mark,
By "tuned" i assume you mean a reflash, right? If so, are you saying that in order to determine how much power my mods are truly producing, i must spend $500+ for a reflash, plus the cost of a dyno pull EACH TIME I ADD A MOD??? Why did the ypipe show improvement immediately and not the cats or the popcharger?
Matt
ps: my dyno guy is at sema, but when he returns, i'll get and post the sae-corrected graphs of the hp, tq, and a/f.
Hmm, I cannot speak for the control logic on the 350Z ECU; I know it stays closed loop all the time and runs twin widebands so...
Generally from our experience with turbo cars, every mod changes things. A/F is where it usually affects stuff; the ECU's take care of timing by themselves for quite a ways due to the nature of boost and detonation. On the Z, it looks like it isn't properly setup from the factory to adapt to mods from what you and others have said. I am not saying your mods did add power; I suspect they did, but they require tuning to properly calibrate the timing and fueling.
To answer your question on reflash, I would suspect that you won't have the optimum setup without it. I don't reflash 350's so I can't say for sure but most cars need tuning. Hard parts and tuning go hand in hand.