Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Nismo LSD installation (please help)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 12:07 PM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo LSD installation (please help)

Okay this weekend I am going to attempt to install My Nismo LSD into my base model Z. I bought the whole differential assembly w/ the Nismo LSD installed in it. My question is can I just take my Diff assembly off and install this in with out any additional parts. It should just bolt right up to the left & right axles & the drive shaft right. The only thing I'm worried about are the axle stubs but not sure what they are. All i know they were required for the install when ever you change the LSD. Are the axle stubs the ones that connect to the drive axles on the left and right? If the whole thing will just bolt right in then I'm all set. Your input would be appreciated. Also if anyone know the torque specs for the bolts would be great too. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:21 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont have a lsd now . Your gonna need more parts . There is a thread about it . Do a search . But from what I understand . If you have a open rear end and want to convert it . Your better off buying the whole lsd differential . As the cost will be double of a used lsd differential
Old 11-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whoa whoa whoa hoooooooold up their. Friendly advice here, your going to try to do a install that hardcore self installers won't touch because they do not have the specialized tools nor the ability to align things. Nissan makes a TON of shim's to get the internal alignment right.

I too thought I would do my own VLSD conversion. Then I read the shop manuel, oh man noooooooooo way. I bit the bullet and paid to have it done. If the alignment is wrong, you'll hear it and it will compromise it's lifespan.

Other then the shims, the Nismo LSD comes will all the parts required to do a open diff LSD conversion.

If you can post your email address, I'll send you the PDF file from the shop manuel on the rear diff so you can see make the call for yourself.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:00 AM
ALong

GSedan35,
Read his post a little closer, he said he bought the whole differential case (ie: Pumkin) with the Nismo ltd slip already installed, he just needs to swap out the Pumkin.

Nismo 33,
If you have the whole differential case already pre-assembled with the stub axles in place on both side, all you need to do is remove the old differential case and install the new one. It is not a very technical job, but it is a lot easier if you have a lift and stands for the diff. We did mine at work (Kazz limited Slip) and it took one of my techs about 2 hours to do the whole job and he actually had to install the limited slip into the case and install the new stub axles. Might be worth paying someone $100-200 to have them install the case for you. If you do it without a lift you will need to get the rear of the car a good couple of feet off the ground, and be prepared to drop a heavy Diff case out of the car and lift another heavy one back into the car....not a fun job on your back.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Gsedan35

Originally posted by ALong
GSedan35,
Read his post a little closer, he said he bought the whole differential case (ie: Pumkin) with the Nismo ltd slip already installed, he just needs to swap out the Pumkin.

Nismo 33,
If you have the whole differential case already pre-assembled with the stub axles in place on both side, all you need to do is remove the old differential case and install the new one. It is not a very technical job, but it is a lot easier if you have a lift and stands for the diff. We did mine at work (Kazz limited Slip) and it took one of my techs about 2 hours to do the whole job and he actually had to install the limited slip into the case and install the new stub axles. Might be worth paying someone $100-200 to have them install the case for you. If you do it without a lift you will need to get the rear of the car a good couple of feet off the ground, and be prepared to drop a heavy Diff case out of the car and lift another heavy one back into the car....not a fun job on your back.
Me no read carefully like should you totally correct on both counts
Old 11-05-2004, 08:37 AM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

Originally posted by Gsedan35
Me no read carefully like should you totally correct on both counts
Gsedan35 - thanks for the friendly advice. I've read your posts on the conversion and was very helpful in making my decision on how to approach buying the lsd.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ALong

Nismo 33,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALong - Thanks for your advice it is very helpful. I've been trying to find a shop out there to do it, but they still want to charge me $300 - $400 for the install. I try to tell them that all they have to change is the pumpkin but they just don't understand. I talk to one of the service guys at Performance Nissan and told him all I want is for him to change the pumpkin out and change the oil(which i was going to provide as well) and said it was $360.00 for parts and labor. I told what possible parts would you need and that was similar price quote I recieved to actually install the Nismo LSD in my open diff. Oh well. I'm gonna do this with the help of some friends, set of jackstands, couple of hydro jacks, and some air tools. Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:38 AM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

oh yeah if any one in so cal. knows a shop that will do it for $100 or so please PM me. i might just consider having the shop do it.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Gsedan35

Your welcome for the help, the community works best when those that know something are willing to help and speak up.

Now, $300-$400 just to swap sealed diff assemblies! That's absurd!!!

I paid $400 to do a VLSD conversion. That envolved not just swapping the diffs, but opening them, swapping internal parts, adjusting, and reassembly. And I used a Nissan dealer that doesn't see a high volume of shop work like a big city dealer.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:10 PM
overboostedtoy

I have a base and planning to DIY the Nismo LSD as well. it should be quite straight forward given all the parts are included and the LSD unit is preassembled. I'll definitely give it a shot, worse scenario just have it tow to a shop. BTW, I have not locat a unit yet. Where did you get yours?
Old 11-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Poizon

Just thought I would let you Know now before it happens to you and you freak out. All clutch lsds make alot of noise a low speeds when turning the wheel even the slightest. I believe the nismo is a clutch type. Well worth the noise. Even if everything is lined up by the best tech in the world, its going to be noisy.
Oh yeah cusco lsd rocks! Handles up to 1000HP according to Cusco. I havent put it to that test just quite yet.

Last edited by Poizon; 11-07-2004 at 12:10 AM.