Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Need Serious Clutch / Flywheel (nismo / jwt) Help ASAP ! !

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 05:56 AM
alpine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Serious Clutch / Flywheel (nismo / jwt) Help ASAP ! !

Need Serious Clutch Flywheel Help ASAP ! !

Alright I'm currently installing my APS TT Kit.

It was being tuned, and after a few pulls, the clutch starts to
slip, under WOT, in 4th gear, passing 4500 rpm.

I have the JWT Lightened Flwywheel (Aluminum?) and the Nismo Performance Clutch,

I was advised this setup would "hold" through 400HP, and I proceeded with this combo based on that info, as I knew I would be doing FI at some point.

We didn't get passed 330HP at this point.

I was advised by Brainstorm Performance prior to, and now again (I hate that) not to use lightened flywheels in a Turbo application.

Their opinion is that lightened flywheels transfer significantly MORE heat to the clutch and therefore are "beatin up" the clutch futher under any conditions.

(1) I drive hard.

(2) I road race/track my car.

(3) I drive hard.

I took the stock clutch and flywheel out at 12K, and about 6K of that were BRUTAL, I'm not kidding and it seen the track about 3 times, including streets of willow, and (1) 1/2 day drifting.

When my stock clutch flywheel came out, they actually looked really good. Yes there were a couple hot spots that were not nice but this is still 12K and 6K brutal.

Now with the Nismo/JWT at about 11K and again about half of that being brutal, it is the installers opinion the clutch/flywheel are going to be "shot, worn out, abused".

In talking with a few more locations, I got similar and conflicting information as to the heat/wear affect of a lightened flywheel.

In either case, I was never advised of the flywheel having any additional wear & tear on the clutch.

Of course, like anything else, you "use" it, it wears down faster but I did not know the flywheel would wear down a clutch faster under any cirumstances.

I was also told with this combo it would last longer than the stock setup.

This is apparently not the case, because I know how I drive my car.

No I'm not perfect or anything, but I didn't cook my clutch at anytime I can recall.

So now, of course it's going to cost me just as much to check my clutch as it is going to replace it.

So please, if you have experience with clutch/flywheel setups, I need owner/professional input only at this point as I need to get a setup into my car ASAP so I can get Brainstorm to complete my tuning.

I currently have my car back, I am on notice not to get over 4000RPM until tuning is complete and they are going to look into a clutch&flywheel options for me.

They really are suggesting I go back to me stock flywheel, resurface so long as it is good, and then go with some type of dual friction/space age surface material like Centerforce.

I also am going to be doing some homework on how HP and Clamping Force determine how much it will actually withstand.

Thanks for any and all help!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:31 AM
alpine

sorry, unable to delte this. please ignore. thanks.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:12 AM
alpine

Ended up with the RPS Turbo Clutch & CYN-R-G Flywheel.

Here is the info from truboclutch.com, and I am getting this through Brainstorm Performance in Los Angeles.

This will be the first time setup for this clutch/flywheel combo in this car, so it may be "interesting". In speaking with RPS, the flywheel is a "new' product for the 350z, however the clutch itself is proven on the 300zxTT.

This is getting installed on my car, today 11/11 which will finally allow me to complete tunning on my turbo kit.

Then off to the mossy show!

Thanks for the referral to the RPS product line, I really wanted to go with the Centerforce DFX, however the product is still in Prototype and wouldn't be available this week.

Hopefully between this clutch & fw it will work better and last longer than this Nismo / JWT combo.

Joe

300ZX TT 90+ 2700 lb
Part #: MS-17909-ST

MAX pressure plates offer 400 to 600 pounds of extra clamping force to hold your biggest power. Pedal feel is stiff to very stiff and engages smooth. RPS is the only clutch company with a U.S. Patent (#5,769,973) on their single diaphragm pressure plate technology. Our unique dual diaphragm technology allows us to create almost any clutch unit with any pressure ranging from stock to double stock in 100 pound increments.

350 Z & G35 COUPE
Part #: BF-17350
Description: The last flywheel you will ever have to buy. The patented segmented heat shield design will not warp like other common one piece heat shields. All our
CYN-R-G flywheels are highly engineered with these benefits like dynamically balanced, crushed Heli coil inserts, stepped dowel pins, and over-sized lock-down bolts that are welded to the ring gear for positive retention. This also features a precise ring for the drive-by-wire pick up signal.
Weight: 18 lbs.

Last edited by alpine; 11-11-2004 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:40 AM
BrianLG35C

So is this setup is street friendly? Or much more finicky than stock or your previous setup?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:03 AM
alpine

Originally posted by BrianLG35C
So is this setup is street friendly? Or much more finicky than stock or your previous setup?
The idea is that it is street friendly, however it is going to be stiffer than my previous setup, and much stiffer than stock.

We'll know how this feels tonight and tomorrow.

JOe
Old 11-11-2004, 07:16 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Great, once you get it in, please review it for us. I am sure many with 400hp+ will be following your foot steps soon.

Jeff
Old 11-11-2004, 07:26 AM
JimRHIT

What was the cost on the two of them?
Old 11-11-2004, 09:51 AM
alpine

Something I wanted to mention, this flywheel is still "light" however the design of this FW is greatly improved over many LFWs out there, and hopefully significantly better than the JWT.

My schedule has changed somewhat, I will be not really get a chance to play with the car until late tomorrow So no feedback until saturday, on the way to the mossy meet.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:19 AM
alpine

Originally posted by JimRHIT
What was the cost on the two of them?
bf17350 flywheel about $450.00
ms17909-st z32 max pressure plate 300zx about $480

I don't have exact pricing on this at the moment, this is the street pricing I was given.

There was also a charge of about $30 to get them balanced together.

As always, I am sure you can find better pricing somewhere, I am somewhat at a dissadvantage due to time and installer preferences.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Lorca@Z1

I'm sure you will be very happy with this setup and I am looking forward to your review. We have had nothing but good experiences with all the RPS products on the Z32 and I have no doubt they will perform equally well on the Z33.

BTW, I know you were under some time constraints but we offer much better prices on RPS products and can have them drop shipped for quicker delivery.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:58 AM
alpine

Originally posted by Lorca@Z1
I'm sure you will be very happy with this setup and I am looking forward to your review. We have had nothing but good experiences with all the RPS products on the Z32 and I have no doubt they will perform equally well on the Z33.

BTW, I know you were under some time constraints but we offer much better prices on RPS products and can have them drop shipped for quicker delivery.
I knew this would be the case, however due to time constraints, I didn't have much choice.

As you saw initially, I appreciated your input, after giving up on Centerforce, I went to RPS primarily based on your suggestion, and only after Brainstorm agreed they would use this clutch with confidence.

I would have loved to ordered it from you, got it droped shipped, and had Brainstorm install it, however I wasn't 100% certain as to how that would go, and I didn't want to put you in a pinch to get me the thing faster than it was realistic, etc..etc..

I will look to you on my next opportunity where time/installations are not in the mix.

thanks again!

Joe
Old 11-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Lorca@Z1

No problem, after re-checking our pricing it looks like we only could have saved you about $5 so you did just fine.

I will say this, I was suprised to read in your post about the $30 balancing charge, so I spoke with our RPS rep who said not to touch anything because it comes balanced from RPS and if it is re-balanced it will get F***** up, so you may want to speak with your shop.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:00 PM
JimRHIT

Will you have these installed at the Mossy show this weekend? I am replacing my clutch/flywheel and would like to see this in action.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-11-2004, 12:01 PM
alpine

Originally posted by Lorca@Z1
No problem, after re-checking our pricing it looks like we only could have saved you about $5 so you did just fine.

I will say this, I was suprised to read in your post about the $30 balancing charge, so I spoke with our RPS rep who said not to touch anything because it comes balanced from RPS and if it is re-balanced it will get F***** up, so you may want to speak with your shop.
This was "balanced together" at RPS. I was under the impression there was a charge for this particular "service", perhaps I misunderstood?

My Shop did NOT do anything to the clutch/fw, I didn't wish to suggest that the shop was charging me that.

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited by alpine; 11-11-2004 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:04 PM
alpine

Originally posted by JimRHIT
Will you have these installed at the Mossy show this weekend? I am replacing my clutch/flywheel and would like to see this in action.

Thanks,
Jim
That's the current goal.