Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Mossy Performance/FastShift Short Shifter Now Available!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 09:03 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
It is an adjustable HEIGHT shifter... Not a short throw shifter like the B&M / Rogue...

Here is my review...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=99723

here are my pix...

I have the latest revised version installed and reviewed...

[IMG]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ismoshift3.jpg[/IMG]

Um the throws are shorter. And unless I'm missing some thing that would make it a short shifter no?
Old 11-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
Um the throws are shorter. And unless I'm missing some thing that would make it a short shifter no?
The throw is the same at the stock height to me as the stock...

Longer at the longer setting...

The throws are a little shorter at the shorter settings but if you hold the stock shift **** at a lower point the throws will feel shorter too...

If you have driven with a B&M Short Shifter and feel what it really feels like to have a shorter throw then it wouldnt feel like this shifter has a short throw...
Old 11-21-2004, 09:10 AM
MIAPLAYA

The throw is the same at the stock height to me as the stock...

Longer at the longer setting...

The throws are a little shorter at the shorter settings but if you hold the stock shift **** at a lower point the throws will feel shorter too...

If you have driven with a B&M Short Shifter and feel what it really feels like to have a shorter throw then it wouldnt feel like this shifter has a short throw...
I've driven a B&M Short shofter on my last car and I dont see what the difference is. Regardless of how it does it the throws are shorter. I have a shift boot on my car so I'm not about to grab the stock shaft lower through the shift boot to try and duplicate this somehow.. Is that what you mean? Yes the way this shortens the throws is to lengthen the shaft beneath the car to move the joint to the trans more with less movement up top. Simple lever action type stuff.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:19 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

the distance between the ball that sits in the socket and the part that bolts into the rod does not change. The only part that does change length is the part above the ball..

It is like floor jack...

If you grab the end of the lever it is longer and easier to pump... But if you hold towards the center of the lever the movement is less and takes more effort...

this is from what I remember when it was out of the car...

Either way... The throw does get shorter when you shorten the height... but it does the same with a shorter shift **** as well...

Personally I would like a shifter that is LONGER in Height and Shorter in Throw...

When tracking the car, less distance would need to be travled with your hand from the steering wheel to the shifter...

Last edited by Jason@Performance; 11-21-2004 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:21 AM
MIAPLAYA

the distance between the ball that sits in the socket and the part that bolts into the rod does not change. The only part that does change length is the part above the ball..

It is like floor jack...

If you grab the end of the lever it is longer and easier to pump... But if you hold towards the center of the lever the movement is less and takes more effort...
Um are you sure I played with it quite a bit out of the car and when you move it to the shorter setting the length of the shaft underneath did get longer..
Old 11-21-2004, 09:24 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Edited while you were writing...

this is from what I remember when it was out of the car...

Either way... The throw does get shorter when you shorten the height... but it does the same with a shorter shift **** as well...

Personally I would like a shifter that is LONGER in Height and Shorter in Throw...

When tracking the car, less distance would need to be travled with your hand from the steering wheel to the shifter...
Old 11-21-2004, 04:53 PM
company man

Default It is like floor jack?????

The description above of this shifter only lowering the height is totally impossible. The Shifter Shaft is one solid piece. Lowering the shifter arm shortens the length between the Shift **** and Swivel Ball while lengthening the Shifter from the Swivel Ball to the Transmission Connector.

This unit has to be installed correctly. If the O-rings are stretched to tight on the socket, during installation on the car, the shifter can rattle. Also, if the reverse lockout plate is improperly adjusted, your 4th to 5th gear shift will not be smooth, both of which Jason's car is now experiencing.

The ability to adjust this shifter to what feels good for you is no different than changing the tilt of your steering wheel. Everyone will have their own preference and not everyone is going to like where you might have it set. What makes this cool is that now, for the first time, you can adjust the height and throw of your stick shift to how you want it.

Old 11-21-2004, 04:55 PM
MIAPLAYA

Default Re: It is like floor jack?????

Originally posted by company man
The description above of this shifter only lowering the height is totally impossible. The Shifter Shaft is one solid piece. Lowering the shifter arm shortens the length between the Shift **** and Swivel Ball while lengthening the Shifter from the Swivel Ball to the Transmission Connector.

This unit has to be installed correctly. If the O-rings are stretched to tight on the socket, during installation on the car, the shifter can rattle. Also, if the reverse lockout plate is improperly adjusted, your 4th to 5th gear shift will not be smooth, both of which Jason's car is now experiencing.

The ability to adjust this shifter to what feels good for you is no different than changing the tilt of your steering wheel. Everyone will have their own preference and not everyone is going to like where you might have it set. What makes this cool is that now, for the first time, you can adjust the height and throw of your stick shift to how you want it.

WERD!!
Old 11-21-2004, 05:54 PM
THX723

For those that are still confused ...

It has been incorrectly assumed this shifter achieves its 'reduced throw' from simply reducing the height of the shift ****, or in essence no different than using a short an/or counter-sunk **** such as the Nismo GT or others. Doing that will indeed cut down the 'throw', but not significantly enough and in which case technically does NOT qualify as a true 'short shifter'.

This (Mossy) shifter achieves its 'shorter throw' primarily by increasing the length below the ball (same approach as the Rogue and B&M); effectively changing the fulcrum point. As a side effect of being 'adjustable', the shift **** also raises/lowers and have the added bonus of further magnifying the difference in overall throw length between the four settings.

Hope that clears it up
Old 11-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

its like a flloor jack in the way that there is more effort needed when the length of the lever is changed...

here is a daigram I made to explain how throw is effected and made shorter...

So it does change the throw as shown in the diagram I made below... But at the same time... when making the shift lever shorter for the driver, it takes more force to move the shifter its self...

The below diagram shows 2 settings of the shifter... lets say longest height setting (longest throw) and shortest height setting (shortest throw)... (labeled 1 and 2)...

#1 explination...
Drivers perspective is a taller shift lever with a longer throw. But, while the shifter is longer, the amount of force needed to move the red-dot (which connects to the tranny lever) is less since you have more leverage...

#2 explination...
Drivers perspective is a shorter shifter with a shorter throw. But, while the shifter is shorter, the amount of force needed to move the red-dot (which connects to the tranny lever) is greater since you have less leverage...

What would be ideal to me as a driver... A shift lever with stock effort and a shorter throw... I personally do not want to sacrifice greater strenth involved in shifting for a shorter throw...

The below diagram was done by me and is in the mail pending "poor mans copyright" as of 6PM PST 11-21-2004 :P

Old 11-21-2004, 05:58 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by THX723
For those that are still confused ...

It has been incorrectly assumed this shifter achieves its 'reduced throw' from simply reducing the height of the shift ****, or in essence no different than using a short an/or counter-sunk **** such as the Nismo GT or others. Doing that will indeed cut down the 'throw', but not significantly enough and in which case technically does NOT qualify as a true 'short shifter'.

This (Mossy) shifter achieves its 'shorter throw' primarily by increasing the length below the ball (same approach as the Rogue and B&M); effectively changing the fulcrum point. As a side effect of being 'adjustable', the shift **** also raises/lowers and have the added bonus of further magnifying the difference in overall throw length between the four settings.

Hope that clears it up
Nice summary. And BTW that fulcrum point word.... Thats was clutch...