Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Which Filter with Synthetic Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 02:29 PM
mwaller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Synthetic oil has many advantages over conventional oils; price is not one of them.
Sythetic oils have greater film strengths than their conventional counterparts, which means that the oil is less likely to be squeezed out from between mating parts in high pressure locations such as bearings. Synthetics also maintain their viscosity better over time... conventional oils tend to thin or thicken, depending on what is in them. Perhaps most importantly, most synthetic oils have a superior additive package. When you pay $5 per quart, the manufactuers can afford to spend more money on quality detergents and extreme-pressure additives. Both ultimately help to extend the life of your engine.
From a purely financial perspective, I don't think synthetic oil makes sense. From a 'joy of ownership' perspective, I think it's an excellent way to go.
Mika

Originally posted by LaidbackRacr
M1-108... I thought our cars take M1-105 and it isn't that big, though I could be wrong I just purchased mine. So is anyone actually waiting 15k miles before changing oil I spend 30bucks for mobile one sinthetic and change out every 5k miles I know I am not saving money, but is there an advantage to synthetic vs conventional motor oil?

THanks,

Chris
Old 11-29-2004, 02:43 PM
aws6000

Originally posted by stumpmj
That said, there's no reason that a properly filtered synthetic can't go 15k or 6 months without changing it. As long as the filter is changed regularly (say every 5-10k miles) the oil itself only needs to be changed to get the water and acids out of it.
How do you change the filter and not the oil? I've always wondered about this (obviously not enough to actually search for the answer). Does removing the filter only release the oil trapped in the filter? I change my own oil, but always drain the oil first, then remove the filter.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:45 PM
mwaller

I've wondered the same thing...
Some cars do have the filter on the top, so you can do it pretty easily. However, on the Z??? I haven't a clue.
Mika
Originally posted by aws6000
How do you change the filter and not the oil? I've always wondered about this (obviously not enough to actually search for the answer). Does removing the filter only release the oil trapped in the filter? I change my own oil, but always drain the oil first, then remove the filter.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:57 PM
LaidbackRacr

Thanks for the perspective on Synthetics...I will stick with mobile one
Old 11-29-2004, 06:40 PM
stumpmj

AI think all you have to do is just remove the filter. It looks like its high enough above the sump to remove without losing too much oil. I haven't even gotten 3k since my last change (I changed oil and filter after every trackday this summer) so I haven't tried the filter only removal on the Z. Worst case, a quart or so will drain out. My plan is to put the oil back into the original containers to see how much came out so I can add the right amount (insert dipstick related rant here.).

Originally posted by mwaller
I've wondered the same thing...
Some cars do have the filter on the top, so you can do it pretty easily. However, on the Z??? I haven't a clue.
Mika